Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
...and I kinda like it!

I've never driven a small car that wasn't a cheap small car, so I'm enjoying it. Nicely done interior, though I very much dislike the way they did the center console. There are no buttons, but a large touch sensitive surface with nubs on it. It picks up commands I'm not intending (when I touch the tuning dial, my finger brushes touch 'buttons' near by), or doesn't respond when I touch (takes several tries to turn off the heated seats).

I used up the battery in about 40 miles, and now I'm just running off of petrol. If I had a charging station near me, I'd check it out, though I'd imagine I'd have to leave the car there awhile.

Throttle response is smooth and immediate, like a video game, though as you give more throttle you don't exactly get more power. I can see how, with a lot more power (Tesla) these electric powertrains can be a lot of fun.

But, I do like feeling the vibration of a combustion engine under my foot. Even if it's the 3.6L V6, it's still feels more alive. This car feels very sterile. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the appealing vibration of a powerful combustion engine is erotic...while an electric car feels asexual.
This is why the internal combustion engine will never die. It won't matter how much they perfect electric technology. As long as a human being is behind the wheel and in control, people are going to lust after the shaking, vibrating, rumbling, rocking and other "bad manners" that an IC engine has.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
This is why the internal combustion engine will never die. It won't matter how much they perfect electric technology. As long as a human being is behind the wheel and in control, people are going to lust after the shaking, vibrating, rumbling, rocking and other "bad manners" that an IC engine has.
Though I agree with you, the number of young people that have that same desire is dwindling at a fast pace.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #17
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Though I agree with you, the number of young people that have that same desire is dwindling at a fast pace.
I think it's roughly the same portion of the population who appreciate rear wheel drive and a manual transmission over a vehicle with all wheel drive and a dual clutch automatic.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I think it's roughly the same portion of the population who appreciate rear wheel drive and a manual transmission over a vehicle with all wheel drive and a dual clutch automatic.
I don't agree. You just defined two performance options. I can respect either choice, and in fact really look forward to driving a dual clutch system, or for that matter, the new style automatic in the Corvette. What I am saying is that the number of people that would even care enough to have that discussion compared to the number that simply want great mileage or to leave a smaller carbon footprint is getting very small.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #19
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Put it in "sport mode" then punch it. It will set you back in your seat.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #20
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I don't agree. You just defined two performance options. I can respect either choice, and in fact really look forward to driving a dual clutch system, or for that matter, the new style automatic in the Corvette. What I am saying is that the number of people that would even care enough to have that discussion compared to the number that simply want great mileage or to leave a smaller carbon footprint is getting very small.
Ah, I see what you are saying. I was thinking more of "flawless" tech vs "flawed" involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Put it in "sport mode" then punch it. It will set you back in your seat.
Ha, one of the first things I discovered!
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote