Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Or wear a seat belt. Am I so old I remember a time pre-airbag?
Yes... "we" are. Somehow, millions of us survived to be this age.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #16
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Or wear a seat belt. Am I so old I remember a time pre-airbag?
Pre-airbag? I was driving long before seat belts were required!

Actually I did install seat belts in my early cars. 1941 Chevy, 1949 Plymouth, 1955 Chevy Conv., 1956 Mercury.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #17
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Yes... "we" are. Somehow, millions of us survived to be this age.
I'll take my seatbelts and airbags. All risk factors being the same in terms of life expectancy, accidental death by collision ignored, these two devices exponentially increase my chances of survival in an accident.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Theoretically, I could get someone else to build me a module with their code to run the car. Or do that myself if I were smart enough - which I'm most definitely not.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
who the hell messes with safety devices? people dont mod safety devices. Maybe for on track use but they dont program them out.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The article overstates. The lawyer says...OK yes sure, the lawyer says. Where is it in writing? Where was the disclosure to buyers? What is the manufacturer's repsonsibility to inform customers of the "fact" GM owns cars, the "buyers" license them? What monetary obligations do the "owners" have that the "licensees" do not? What do the banks that hold liens feel about this "fact"?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
The article overstates. The lawyer says...OK yes sure, the lawyer says. Where is it in writing? Where was the disclosure to buyers? What is the manufacturer's repsonsibility to inform customers of the "fact" GM owns cars, the "buyers" license them? What monetary obligations do the "owners" have that the "licensees" do not? What do the banks that hold liens feel about this "fact"?
Many great questions , and I am sure many more to follow , This is real simple to fix , One manufacturer says "hey we do not do this,, buy and tune the car its your right , " People drift away from GM they sell less cars , they will eventually change their ways .
Just more big business trying to impose their will on the people , makes me sick really , How about I buy car I own car I will do whatever I want and you but the hell out. Whats next my house ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #22
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
It's like computer software ..Microsoft and Apple still own the programs and we want them too..
Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Old news, move along.............
Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #24
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
This is old
Old 05-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
Mels RS

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
who the hell messes with safety devices? people dont mod safety devices. Maybe for on track use but they dont program them out.
I think the thought is that some mods may inadvertently disable safety devices. Not intentionally disabling them.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
Mels RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #26
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I've got no problem going old school and picking up a built 350 4bbl with a Muncie 4 speed .Screw them . I grew up with out Computers in cars . Bring it on .
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #27
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
It's time for a '69 Camaro.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #28
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
They're saying the code falls under protection of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and they want it enforced. There are hearings now to create an exemption to let 3rd parties (tuners) have access. GM is leading the charge against it. Wish they would spend my money on other things. An unauthorized incremented flash counter should absolve them of responsibility. However, I think they are more concerned with someone messing with safety SW than engine management.
And the line between safety and engine management is becoming more and more unclear, as these two are getting more and more connected.

But I'm not so sure that this is what's really behind this. I wonder if it has more to do with keeping secrets from other manufacturer's for one. Right now, for example, who's to stop Ford from buying a GM car and reverse engineering some feature for their line up?

My other thought is that perhaps they are seeing the money left on the table being taken up by the aftermarket. By making copyright enforceable, tuners would have to pay GM for the right to access and change parameters of the programming.

In any event, it all comes down to money and liability.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote