Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > V6 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment

Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
Zcoates

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Camaro 2LS
x pipe help

Should I add an x pipe on top of my Mrt V2 exhaust. I've heard good and bad things about the sound it produces.
Zcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Kcchiefscraig

Drives: 2010 LT synergy green
x-pipe

I was wondering the same thing I just did the magnaflow axel back system.
Mods so far Monster Clutch,first ever! Hurst shifter, RS Headlights with halo always on harness, Heritage Grill, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 20% tint, RX catch can, RX clean side seperator, Vmax Iceolator. BBK long tube headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, gill stripes, GTO Clutch resevoir, plastic dip wheels emblems.
Kcchiefscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Magnaflow Resonated X pipe # 11386 is used primarily by those of us who added headers to help control the rasp. Not required if you changed out the axleback exhaust. The other option is to go with the X pipe and straight pipe after that, as the X pipe is essentially a modified muffler.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
It helps to tone down the rasp and drone in the cabin. Side effect is slightly reduced exhaust tone.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
AnUnarmedMan

Drives: 2013 LS
I highly recommend it. It really helps remove the drone. I wanted to get rid of my mrt, but after installing the x pipe I was one happy camper.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
it really depends on what are you trying to accomplish?

I had it on my Camaro with MRT v1 but my goal was to kill the unbearable drone. So once I installed the X-Pipe drone was gone but with it the nice growl sound the MRT's are famous for. In another words it did tone the whole thing down to a point that I did not like it at all.

So I decided to upgrade to MRT v2 and take out the x-pipe. And now I'm at where I want to be with the sound.

So that said adding the x-pipe to your v2 it will tone it down A LOT, you wont have any growl or nice tone at all... so something to think about.
This is why I asked what are you trying to accomplish.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
it really depends on what are you trying to accomplish?

I had it on my Camaro with MRT v1 but my goal was to kill the unbearable drone. So once I installed the X-Pipe drone was gone but with it the nice growl sound the MRT's are famous for. In another words it did tone the whole thing down to a point that I did not like it at all.

So I decided to upgrade to MRT v2 and take out the x-pipe. And now I'm at where I want to be with the sound.

So that said adding the x-pipe to your v2 it will tone it down A LOT, you wont have any growl or nice tone at all... so something to think about.
This is why I asked what are you trying to accomplish.
True and false. You won't have the growl and tone as noticable in the cabin. But the sound will still be deep from outside the car. Don't believe me, have someone you trust do a drive by and enjoy that sweet tone.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Zcoates

Drives: 2012 Imperial Blue Camaro 2LS
thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm gonna test out just the exhaust and see how I like it
Zcoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Goran
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
True and false. You won't have the growl and tone as noticable in the cabin. But the sound will still be deep from outside the car. Don't believe me, have someone you trust do a drive by and enjoy that sweet tone.
Wanted to write V6 not v2, I just noticed my misspelling there... but I assume you know what I wanted to say. And you are correct what you say about the cabin noise, yes but same applies on when you hear it from the outside. To my disappointment I heard it when my Muffler guy finished the job of welding the x-pipe at the shop and tested it out in front of me.
I guess I was expecting a different tone... just the rasp/drone to be gone, but not still to have that nice tone/growl it had before...

Anyhow there is still some low growl there yes, but not as much or not as nearly good as it was, very very low. This is one of those things that it will depend on your personal preference and taste if you like that tone or not.

Even these days I see some V6 Camaros with MRT V1 only, and they are happy with just that, me I cant stand the drone, and so loud that is obnoxious (to me) ... but again everyone to its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcoates View Post
thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm gonna test out just the exhaust and see how I like it
Bottom line all of this comes down to your personal preference.

Good luck bud, and keep on modding