Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
700-750 whp...whole new rear end needed, or axles/ds only?

trying to plan out what all I'm going to need for my next (hopefully) planned mods. Motor is already built for a blower, however not sure what I'm going to go with. Either way, goal is 700-750hp, and with any FI that ought to be pretty easily do-able with my setup - 416 stroker, blower cam, ported heads, etc...

SO, with all that being said, I know that there are some drivetrain upgrades that I'll probably need to do when I finally pull the trigger. My only question is that if the driveline on the M6 trans will need to be replaced entirely (zl1 rear is probably the most bang for the buck) or if merely upgrading to 1000-1400hp axles and a new driveshaft will be sufficient. **clutch is a Katech LS9X

I don't race that often, but I have been known to get on it pretty good from both a dead stop and a roll...

I know the 'right' answer is to upgrade the whole thing, but if cost is a factor, will the stock diff handle 700-750 with upgraded axles/ds? Thinking about my mental list of parts needed for this FI upgrade, it's starting to look like a 15-20k investment once you factor in parts for the FI setup, suspension, drivetrain, and labor....hopefully bonuses are good this year, otherwise I may just look into some alternative power adders....I understand a top notch nitrous setup (and relevant accessories) can be had for 2-3k...
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
I have a adm/ lingenfelter 417 lsa blower gm ls3 cnc heads btr stage 3 cam on 10psi boost makes 721rwhp and 740rwtq. With a lot of room to grow. That is on 93 pump gas. I have the whole zl1 drivetrain trans and diff with driveshaft and axles. Clutch is needed more than the trans. Stock tr6060 is pretty tuff. I would source a zl1 diff pull out off ebay etc. I have the 3.73 setup and it is beefy. Also suspension parts will help tons. I have the arms all upgraded with adm billet subframe bushings and upper control arm carbon mounts. Give adm a call andy can give you all the answers you need. My setup is wicked fast for the street and eats tires like a cop does donuts.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 2013 duramax
I have about $2300 in my zl1 setup.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
I went with a street slayer clutch and a g-force 9in conversion. love them both. the 9in has a full lifetime warrantee. the stock TR606 is a beast I wouldn't worry to much about that. but you will need a stronger clutch and rear end. axels wont be enough.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo8hkk View Post
I went with a street slayer clutch and a g-force 9in conversion. love them both. the 9in has a full lifetime warrantee. the stock TR606 is a beast I wouldn't worry to much about that. but you will need a stronger clutch and rear end. axels wont be enough.
You can't go wrong with our 9" conversion, you now have a rear platform you can build and build adding more and more power and not worry about it. The Lifetime warranty is a nice piece of mind as well.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
trying to plan out what all I'm going to need for my next (hopefully) planned mods. Motor is already built for a blower, however not sure what I'm going to go with. Either way, goal is 700-750hp, and with any FI that ought to be pretty easily do-able with my setup - 416 stroker, blower cam, ported heads, etc...

SO, with all that being said, I know that there are some drivetrain upgrades that I'll probably need to do when I finally pull the trigger. My only question is that if the driveline on the M6 trans will need to be replaced entirely (zl1 rear is probably the most bang for the buck) or if merely upgrading to 1000-1400hp axles and a new driveshaft will be sufficient. **clutch is a Katech LS9X

I don't race that often, but I have been known to get on it pretty good from both a dead stop and a roll...

I know the 'right' answer is to upgrade the whole thing, but if cost is a factor, will the stock diff handle 700-750 with upgraded axles/ds? Thinking about my mental list of parts needed for this FI upgrade, it's starting to look like a 15-20k investment once you factor in parts for the FI setup, suspension, drivetrain, and labor....hopefully bonuses are good this year, otherwise I may just look into some alternative power adders....I understand a top notch nitrous setup (and relevant accessories) can be had for 2-3k...
At that power level you would be fine with adding axles and driveshaft but the rear diff will be at or over it's limit. Some people have had good luck with it staying together at that power level but some have not. With your car being a manual it's even harder on parts.
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
The ZL1 diff is nice set up, we have upgraded axles and Driveshaft for that diff if you want re-assurance the set up is stout.

(oh yea we have the 9" with the new Pro-Formed housing in stock also if you want to go that way)

Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
hazy

Hey thanks for the replies - Looks like I guess I'll be calling DSS when the time comes.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
hctrble
BMBLBLU

Drives: Aqua Blue Metallic 2010 Camaro 1ss
I have purchased the DSS set up and from what my builder says this is a very nice setup, and he even wants one for his build. I am currently on a 416 build that with this rear and 3rd, member will make my car a beast in the making. Highly recommend the guys at DSS, and if they are not in your future build you will be making a very big mistake.

Steve
Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
T-r3x

Drives: 2010 camaro ss ( LS3 )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
The ZL1 diff is nice set up, we have upgraded axles and Driveshaft for that diff if you want re-assurance the set up is stout.

(oh yea we have the 9" with the new Pro-Formed housing in stock also if you want to go that way)

What's new about the new pro-formed housing?
T-r3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:54 PM   #11
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
1 zl1 third member 3.73 axels zl1brakes*
sway bar $2000 tex for pic 916-968-4403

In the zl1 for sale section.

Thats a good deal.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
hazy

shit that's a steal.

Unfortunately, 2k isn't in the budget at the moment. I don't expect I'll have the scratch pulled together for a good couple months - likely early into next year. Just doing some planning/budgeting for the mods right now..
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #13
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Hazy, keep me posted on what you decide. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm going twin turbo.

If any of the vendors want to make a deal for two setups let us know!
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
hazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Time View Post
Hazy, keep me posted on what you decide. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm going twin turbo.

If any of the vendors want to make a deal for two setups let us know!
Sounds good. I'm planning on probably pulling the trigger early next year when bonuses come out. Figure that should [hopefully!!!] give me what I need to beef up the driveline/suspension.

I've got a sinking feeling in my gut that I may also need to drop some $$ into the motor for a possible rebuild. Perks of buying used, I guess...it's burning a bit more oil than I would think, and I kind of feel like the power level is not what it used to be. Planning on getting into HP for a full workup soon (fluid changes/brake flush/etc) and I'm going to have them do a leakdown test to see if there's anything amiss. Hopefully it won't hit me too hard, but I just don't have the time to do all of this in my driveway, despite the relative ease of it all...

Soooo...long story short...unless my wife has a killer 2nd half of the year, I'll hit you up early next year once I have a firm number on what my bonus is.

Pray for fluctuation in oil prices! Being in trading, I don't care so much about the price itself, we make $$ off the volatility! Though, a higher price is probably more preferential to $45/bbl......