Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Just do something you enjoy, people here recommend Engineering but unless you're extremely math savvy, and no I don't care what anyone says, Math is NOT for everyone and it does get VERY difficult later on with Calulus 1 & 2.

There's a reason Engineers are paid what they are, it's because not everyone can do the job, if it was easy, engineers would be paid no more than your average liberal arts degree, and it's not the case.

When I was at Camaro5fest here in Houston, Texas. I spoke with a few GM Engineers who actually designed the 5th gen Camaro and they've said it themselves that Engineering was a tough, yet very rewarding degree
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #16
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Just do something you enjoy, people here recommend Engineering but unless you're extremely math savvy, and no I don't care what anyone says, Math is NOT for everyone and it does get VERY difficult later on with Calulus 1 & 2.

There's a reason Engineers are paid what they are, it's because not everyone can do the job, if it was easy, engineers would be paid no more than your average liberal arts degree, and it's not the case.

When I was at Camaro5fest here in Houston, Texas. I spoke with a few GM Engineers who actually designed the 5th gen Camaro and they've said it themselves that Engineering was a tough, yet very rewarding degree
This! Make sure you WANT to work in whatever field you pursue. I'm an engineer for a steel company who sells to the big 3 auto companies so that's about as close as I could get lol. Graduated with no debt and bought my 1LE 3 months after I walked across the stage. Make sure its your passion and you wont wake up dreading work everyday.
jeff657756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #17
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
It all depends on what portion of the industry your looking to get into. Management probably pays more in the long run, however, that depends on how good you are in the real world not in school. Engineering will net you cash from the get go and if you have the right design degree to go along with it may allow you to break into the small but amazing field of Auto Design.
As a recent Master of Architecture Graduate that deals with Engineers everday I can tell you that the engineering majors work is fairly difficult, however, their work can be done within the normal time it takes to do regular take home work. Which is a good thing, leaves you plenty of time to do things in College. Unlike Architecture, where I lived in studio 22/7 lol
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Business or engineering are great ways to get into almost any industry.

With business go with accounting or finance as someone else stated - everyone needs finance and numbers people. The pay doesnt typically start as high as engineering, but in the long run (5-10 years) it evens out if you have problem solving and people skills.

If I was to go back, I would do mechanical or electrical engineering. A few years in even in a not crazy high pay area (I am in NH) can easily approach $90k, and you get to do some cool stuff.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #19
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Some good advice in here. I am a mechanical engineer that works in the mining industry. It is a good job, but has its ups and downs. The only engineering jobs I know of (besides upper management) that pay 100K a year are in places where a 100K per year doesn't buy you much. I started at less than half of that and it was a very good paying job for the area I live in. With that said, engineering is not for everyone and it is quite a demanding work load in school. However, there are MANY fields out there that can get you involved in the automotive industry: welding, weld inspecting and quality control, machinist, programmer, marketing, technical writer, statistics and analysis...the list goes on. I bet even a degree in hospitality could get your foot in the door! Employers want to know you are hard working, honest and that you desire to stick around. If you want to kill any chance for landing a job, go into the interview and talk about how you want to move here and there and "I need this for a stepping stone". It costs a lot of money to train a new employee regardless of their schooling. Companies want to know that they are going to get something in return.
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #20
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
I feel your pain man. I'm 24 and in one month I'll graduate with a double major in Criminal Justice & Public Administration. I have literally 0 idea as to what I want to do!
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #21
GrandAmGT

Drives: 2010 1LT & 2016 Cadillac CTS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrivera91 View Post
I feel your pain man. I'm 24 and in one month I'll graduate with a double major in Criminal Justice & Public Administration. I have literally 0 idea as to what I want to do!
I work in local government and there are some opportunities for people with your degrees because there are thousands of cities, counties, and towns in the United States.
GrandAmGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #22
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGT View Post
I work in local government and there are some opportunities for people with your degrees because there are thousands of cities, counties, and towns in the United States.
Where'd you start from if you don't mind me asking.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
OP while a lot of this advise is great. you really need to think what is it about the car that makes you wan to get into that field of working with them? mechanic? engineering? business? all require different types of schooling. i kind of get this feeling that you are 19 and really have no clue as to what you want to do. what you need to do is find something that will make you happy.

im also an engineer (mechanical) as a kid i was always the lego, building things, taking apart type its what interested me then and still does.

whatever you decide to do. please dont do what a lot of the people your age do. go into a job interview expecting that the company "owes" you.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
OP, if you go into engineering, prepare to hear these:

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"
The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."
The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

A pastor, a doctor and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers. The engineer fumed, "What's with these guys? We must have been waiting for 15 minutes!" The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such ineptitude!" The pastor said, "Hey, here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him."
"Hi, George. Say, what's with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?" The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes, that's a group of blind firefighters who lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime."
The group was silent for a moment. The pastor said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."
The doctor said, "Good idea. And I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist buddy and see if there's anything he can do for them."
The engineer said, "Why can't these guys play at night?"

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets.

One day 3 guys were discussing what kind of engineer designed the human body. The first said, "With all the complex joints and movements, it must have been a mechanical engineer." To which the second says, "No, must have been an electrical engineer. Look at all the complex brain and nerve centers spread throughput the body." To which the third guy replies, "Naw, had to be a civil engineer. Who else would put a waste line through a pleasure zone?"

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #25
MIMZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Camaro #0001
I have an electrical and mechanical engineering degrees and worked for GM. Engineering is a very rewarding career but getting the degree takes hard work. You need to like math and science or it will be difficult in school. Working as an engineer for GM will give you opportunities in many of the areas of the Company. Engineers work in the plants (as mechanical, electrical, civil, environmental, etc.), in product engineering (as mechanical, electrical, systems, chemical, etc.). There are many careers available. Check out the GM web site @www.careers.gm.com. If you work hard and get good grades you could end up working for GM or one of the other auto companies. I had a dream job at GM for the last 11 yearns of my career. I was a member of the Camaro Team and worked on the 5th gen from the start to the end of the 2015 model year. It was a blast! Good luck to you.
MIMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #26
Clammy Clemens
Z2M

Drives: Oxford White 2014 Mustang GT
Smile

First off, let me say thank you to everyone who posted their advice and guidance, it means A LOT. but to try and answer some of the posts stated above, I'll be honest, I'm terrible at math. Plain and simple. So as for the engineering side I'm not too interested. However, I'm majoring in hospitality management, specifically hotel management (it's what my pops did his whole life and he made big bucks being an executive in the Dallas area) and I'm minoring in Business, seems that it's a very popular degree as it would make sense because the whole world is essentially business focused. And just to add a few things... (and I'm not trying to brag just adding some extra info about myself)

-I have a 4.5 GPA out of 5
-I'm a BSA Eagle Scout
-I LOVED Legos when I was younger, I mean I had a whole damn room dedicated to me creations.
-I find leading groups of people fun and exceptionally natural to me.

Again, thank you
Clammy Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #27
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. "
That's too simple of an answer for an engineer. The engineer would say "the glass is not built to proper specification". You gotta complicate it up a little bit to be an engineer answer. Other than that, the jokes are spot on!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #28
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
I'm 19 too and Im going to nueroscience. Do something that interests you and makes money! I've learned that my car and my girlfriend cost a lot lol