Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
klahrbar

Drives: 73 nova custom, 2ss ordered
front window fogging up

Got my Black 2ss last night, great car! Everything I expected and more. But one problem is the front window keeps fogging up and I have to turn the wipers on. I have tried it with the defroster and it makes it worst. I am in Florida with alot of humidity, ANYONE have fiqured out the best setting on the a/c to avoid this yet?
klahrbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
daveykins

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT
sorry man, but my goal with my new camaro when it arrives, is to keep fogging up the windows.
daveykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It's part of living in Florida...... My Monte does it also, anytime the sun is down morning or night..... It's condensation because the defrost is always on just a little bit, but enough to cause it.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Personally I find that blasting the defroster on full cold temp clears mine up within seconds.

Buuuuut... climate here is WAY different than florida So who knows... Maybe some Rain X will help keep the windows clear :P

Always a possibility that YOU are the source of moisture/heat.... if you are sweatin up a storm and breathin all hard... might wanna consider opening the window wearing a snorkel and breathing out the window ! And drape yourself in some kinda moisture soaking exercise clothing to trap the rest of the moisture on yourself. Yoga pants ftw!
hehe

But yeah... in all seriousness foggy windows pisses me off.... But the cold+full blast defrosting seems to work great here.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If the window clears right away then after a few minutes starts to fog up near the bottom and slowly expand up the window is too cold. Either move the temp setting to add a small amount of warm air or adjust the flow so it doesn't blow on the window.
If you can't get it to clear at all, make sure the correct button is pushed to direct the airflow to the window.
One more possibility, Are you sure you're not pushing the rear window defogger button instead of the defroster? The buttons are next to each other and look similar.

Edit: I just reread your post and since the water is on the outside and you need your wipers the glass is too cold and condensation is forming. The A/C is working too well for your humidity. Try setting the temp dial in the middle with the A/C still running and it should clear up. This may be covered in the manual (but not sure) but since you just picked it up you didn't have time to read it anyway. Congrats on getting your car!

Last edited by Buckbo; 10-08-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbo View Post
If the window clears right away then after a few minutes starts to fog up near the bottom the window is too cold. Either move the temp setting to add a small amount of warm air or adjust the flow so it doesn't blow on the window.
If you can't get it to clear at all, make sure the correct button is pushed to direct the airflow to the window.
One more possibility, Are you sure you're not pushing the rear window defogger button instead of the defroster? The buttons are next to each other and look similar.
It's the weather here in Florida..... It's October and we are still 90+ with 95% humidity ...... And the last thing you want to do is drive around with the heat on .....
Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
It's the weather here in Florida..... It's October and we are still 90+ with 95% humidity ...... And the last thing you want to do is drive around with the heat on .....
As long as you don't set it in the upper part of the temp scale with the A/C on the air coming out will be cool. You just don't want it ice cold coming out on the front window. Direct the ice cold air into the dash or floor vents. We get 100 degree days with 90% humidity too. Just not in October.
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
wrek
2G1FK1EJ6-9

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveykins View Post
sorry man, but my goal with my new camaro when it arrives, is to keep fogging up the windows.
wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
what i do in the morning is put the heater on full blast and set on dash vents.. leave the AC on though... when the car warms up the windows will be clean
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
That is one reason I wish we had climate control on the inside .. the cars I have had with it seem to fair better with this than others .. you just need to find the correct temp to blast up there and you'll be fine.

Crowley
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
I've had good luck with running the "Defog" setting which directs air to the windshield and floor outlets - this is on the left Fan Control pod as the right Air Delivery Mode Control button.

Until I found this setting I used to hit the Defrost control on the Right Temperature Control pod.

Defog worked well in the NJ summer heat and you didn't have to crack up the fan to have it clear.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I'm still trying to figure out the right combination of settings to take care this too. Last couple of days, it's been about 80 and 100% humidity (not rain) when I leave for work at 6am. I've been fighting with preventing the windshield from fogging up on the outside. Cool enough to not need AC, warm enough to not want to run with the heater on.

The annoying thing is that it looks like the defrost vent is not completely bypassed when the fan is set to blow from the dash and/or floor vents only. The windshield fogs up right above the defrost vent. My '55 Chevy had better airflow control than my 2010 Camaro. Maybe I'll bring this topic up with my dealer's service department next time I'm in. If GM sees enough issues with it, maybe they'll figure out what is going on and fix it.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
droidboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS (soon!)
Try switching it from recirculating air to fresh air...or vice verse. That was the problem when our last car was doing it.

Gregg
Old 10-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I've noticed as I drive at higher speeds (45+), the windshield seems to clear up, but fogs up again as I slow or stop...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote