Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Buying a 2010 2SS (please help)

Im currently designing a 2010 2SS Camaro to puchase.

RS package
Sunroof
cyber Grey metalic with orange rally stripes
satin nickel fuel door
black interior

What i cant deside on and need advise for is going with the automatic or the standard? Also does anyone know if its worth paying the extra money for the quarter flares? (do they really look that good)

Im in afghanistan right now so there is limit on what info i can get. You all are my best hope. Also im from Illinois and need some advise on how and where to puchase this vehicle from.

Please help!!!!
Thanks
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Hello,

Well to me the manual is a no brainer, but it depends on what you want out of the car and what you like! A Dealer over here in CT has cars unsold coming in. The sales manager is a fiend of mine. Call Danbury Chevrolet and Tell Dominic that Paul Codi sent you. He is selling MSRP, and will honor any legit discounts.

Here is their website:

http://www.danburychevrolet.com/

Just make sure to talk to dominic. You can fly over when you get back and driver her home on a break in. Be safe! :flag1:
Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
The only one's i wouldnt advise buying a stick are older members who have bad knee's,people who daily drive this car in medium to thick traffic or if you race this car around a track i would go auto with the paddle shifters. Everyone else i would tell them manual. Driving this car with a stick is 1000x more enjoyable to drive imo. My .02 cents
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I wouldn't get Cyber Grey with the factory orange stripe decals to begin with.. Get them painted on later a Hugger orange color, It'll look much nicer. I would save the money and ditch the RS package and go with a 1SS. The standard headlights work excellently and you can have the fogs on and headlights at the same time for a better look. You can add the gauges and a better audio system later on as well. The BA audio is lacking and you're spending about $500 more for something you will probably remove anyways. I don't like the look of the flares however that is personal preference. Also go with the manual.. Those Dodge folks charge extra for the manual Challenger for a reason.. Chevrolet just got it right and is charging extra for the automatic...You get more torque and a better sounding engine than the A6.. And if you really want a 2SS because of leather seats and the bluetooth/hard drive usb support. Then take a look at the countless threads of all the problems people are having with compatibility and if you use a thumb drive it rescans everything every time you turn on the car so you'll get tired of using it. . I have a 1SS, and simply connect thru the aux port in the sound system my ipod. Plus the audio system in the 2SS is converting everything from digital to analog anyways because its a poor setup.

Also the leather seats are mostly fake leather with the small box you sit your tush on being the only real leather part. I would get the 1SS and add leather later on if you really want a nice feel and more comfort. Just my opinion.

Last but not least, see if you qualify for a supplier discount thru your work or a family member. It saved me a couple thousand.. Also I do suggest to upgrade the rims to polished as they look nicer than the painted 20's.

Good luck and you'll have a blast with the Camaro regardless of which one you choose.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
se7en

Thank You!!

I sure do appreciate the advise. Most of the time i would hands down go with the standard over an automatic, but this car is going to be driven down the highway a lot. Do you still suggest the standard?

thanks again for such great detailed advise
Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Easiest way to break it down imo........

Do you want to have 100% control of the car meaning do you wish to bang through the gears ? dump the clutch ? Act like a kid as you were once in Hs ? Or do you plan on doing some type of road racing ? And dont mind shifting a lot ?

GET A STICK.

Do you want to get in your car to cruise ? enjoy not having to mess with a clutch in stop and go traffic ? Do ever plan to sell your car and hope for a better resale value ? Do you like drag racing and want consistant times ?
would you like the advantage of cylinder deactivation aka afm for Gas saving purposes ?

Get an Automatic

In Todays world the automatic holds many advatages over a Stick.
They are quicker and can outshift ANY driver 100% of the time when drag racing from a DIG( dead stop ) The old autos of the 60's and early 70's were slush boxes better yet a POS. Todays modernized autos are awsome and if you are one to say GET A STICK or Nothing because REAL sports cars come with sticks..... yeah well opinions are like A$$holes we all got one lol
I like both...I like sticks only because you can grab and a gear and act like a kid once again however I Love autos as in the A6 with a Good Tune and a possibly Torque converter I can run all over a stick every minute of the day.

Who cares if you have 500hp....put that power to the ground other wise you are nothing but a dyno king.

I'm 28 and have had both...I like drag racing and dont like to lose. I would rather enjoy driving my car and not have to worry about shifting at all periods of the day and at the same time knowing the comfort and power if I ever need it is right there.
Sure I love a good manual/stick however when it comes to my kind of driving a 6 speed is worthless.

If Gm were to offer a 4 speed manual then I would go stick NO DOUBT otherwise you keep your 6speed because in Drag racing the 6speed is a good way to miss gears and another reason to replace clutches.
How many actually use 6th gear ? its manufactors way of saying lets save gas. If I cared about that I would buy a Cobalt

its just whatever you want and what fits your needs....keep in mind everyone has an opinion. And No you are not any less of a man for driving a Auto.

One thing to remember lol More Corvettes are sold in Automatics each year.

Driving lots of highway can be done in both cars in a stick you get up to the speed you wish to drive put it in the right gear and leave it there until you have to downshift down the road. if you want to grab a gear at anytime then get your stick otherwise the auto cruises just as well.

its up to you.....both are great ! I just love the A6 automatic it runs laps around the last generation automatic which was in the last Camaro. If this were a 1998-2002 Camaro I would say get a Manual but with this car both auto and manuals are Good !

its up to you.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
se7en

Auto

I have a friend of mine who builds nascar and bush series engines. He owns a 2008 Corvette, 2008 Rouch 427, Old GTO and a new GTO, Lightning and a G8.

He also told me that if this way later years then hands down go with manual. But the Automatics in these cars have came such a long way that the manual barely compares. His vet is auto and roush is standard. His vet eats it up hands down he says. plus with the new auto you get so much better fuel economy withlot any loss of power.

Yes the standard has more hp, but how much will actually hit the ground compared to an automatic.

Im gonna go with the auto. I sure appreciate all the advise.

Any tips on buying a built car from the factory (first time)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
rkmcmd4

Drives: 2ss rs
nobody has mentioned that the automatic has a detuned engine because it cant consistanly handle the higher horsepower. thus, if you ever plan on doing any mods to the car to increase power or torque you would be over burdening the automatic transmission. other than formula 1 racing(whose cars weigh like a feather) automatics dont do well in racing. if you shift properly you wont miss gears. and i would rather replace a clutch(one day and a few hundred bucks) than rebuild and automatic (a week and a few thousand bucks) transmission. last time i checked,NHRA Drag racing is done mostly with manual transmissions.
2500- Order preferenced [9-9-2009]
3000 - Accepted by production control [9-10-2009]
3300 - Scheduled for production TPW[9-28-2009]
3400 - Broadcast - Being Built [9-25-2009]
3800 - Produced - 10-3-2009 VIN #53001
4150 - Invoiced 10-5-2009
4200 - Shipped 10-5-2009
5000 - at dealer 10-14-2009
6000 - delivered to ME 10-14-2009
rkmcmd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmcmd4 View Post
nobody has mentioned that the automatic has a detuned engine because it cant consistanly handle the higher horsepower. thus, if you ever plan on doing any mods to the car to increase power or torque you would be over burdening the automatic transmission. other than formula 1 racing(whose cars weigh like a feather) automatics dont do well in racing. if you shift properly you wont miss gears. and i would rather replace a clutch(one day and a few hundred bucks) than rebuild and automatic (a week and a few thousand bucks) transmission. last time i checked,NHRA Drag racing is done mostly with manual transmissions.
100% NOT TRUE, not really sure where you got your info...the auto's can handle power...just need a tune (and a good torque converter if your racing) to perform well. If I were going to be drag racing the car a lot I would without a doubt buy an auto. Most racers I know with a lot of power absolutely prefer autos. Easier to launch, faster to shift, no missed gears.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
rkmcmd4

Drives: 2ss rs
ok maybe i'm a little outdated. like the other guy said its all about opinions
2500- Order preferenced [9-9-2009]
3000 - Accepted by production control [9-10-2009]
3300 - Scheduled for production TPW[9-28-2009]
3400 - Broadcast - Being Built [9-25-2009]
3800 - Produced - 10-3-2009 VIN #53001
4150 - Invoiced 10-5-2009
4200 - Shipped 10-5-2009
5000 - at dealer 10-14-2009
6000 - delivered to ME 10-14-2009
rkmcmd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
100% NOT TRUE, not really sure where you got your info...the auto's can handle power...just need a tune (and a good torque converter if your racing) to perform well. If I were going to be drag racing the car a lot I would without a doubt buy an auto. Most racers I know with a lot of power absolutely prefer autos. Easier to launch, faster to shift, no missed gears.
It just needs a tune and a converter???? What does a good converter cost??? About 800.00!!! Add in the extra loss of power with an automatic plus 26 less to start with. Who misses gears???? If you do consistently you should be racing!!! Another question: How many members on here are drag racing all the time?????? Very few!!!! 6 speed all the way!!!! Get whatever you want but don't listen too much to all this garbage that we are talking.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
It just needs a tune and a converter???? What does a good converter cost??? About 800.00!!! Add in the extra loss of power with an automatic plus 26 less to start with. Who misses gears???? If you do consistently you should be racing!!! Another question: How many members on here are drag racing all the time?????? Very few!!!! 6 speed all the way!!!! Get whatever you want but don't listen too much to all this garbage that we are talking.
well, I was responding to a quote bringing up NHRA drag racing. I own a LS3...because yes manual is better/more fun on a street car. Auto's are the way to go for drag racing especially if you'll be modding your car.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Automatic in MY 2SS is great, and much easier on the left foot and leg in traffic. The tap shift works well if you want to simulate M6.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Easiest way to break it down imo........

Do you want to have 100% control of the car meaning do you wish to bang through the gears ? dump the clutch ? Act like a kid as you were once in Hs ? Or do you plan on doing some type of road racing ? And dont mind shifting a lot ?

GET A STICK.

Do you want to get in your car to cruise ? enjoy not having to mess with a clutch in stop and go traffic ? Do ever plan to sell your car and hope for a better resale value ? Do you like drag racing and want consistant times ?
would you like the advantage of cylinder deactivation aka afm for Gas saving purposes ?

Get an Automatic

In Todays world the automatic holds many advatages over a Stick.
They are quicker and can outshift ANY driver 100% of the time when drag racing from a DIG( dead stop ) The old autos of the 60's and early 70's were slush boxes better yet a POS. Todays modernized autos are awsome and if you are one to say GET A STICK or Nothing because REAL sports cars come with sticks..... yeah well opinions are like A$$holes we all got one lol
I like both...I like sticks only because you can grab and a gear and act like a kid once again however I Love autos as in the A6 with a Good Tune and a possibly Torque converter I can run all over a stick every minute of the day.

Who cares if you have 500hp....put that power to the ground other wise you are nothing but a dyno king.

I'm 28 and have had both...I like drag racing and dont like to lose. I would rather enjoy driving my car and not have to worry about shifting at all periods of the day and at the same time knowing the comfort and power if I ever need it is right there.
Sure I love a good manual/stick however when it comes to my kind of driving a 6 speed is worthless.

If Gm were to offer a 4 speed manual then I would go stick NO DOUBT otherwise you keep your 6speed because in Drag racing the 6speed is a good way to miss gears and another reason to replace clutches.
How many actually use 6th gear ? its manufactors way of saying lets save gas. If I cared about that I would buy a Cobalt

its just whatever you want and what fits your needs....keep in mind everyone has an opinion. And No you are not any less of a man for driving a Auto.

One thing to remember lol More Corvettes are sold in Automatics each year.

Driving lots of highway can be done in both cars in a stick you get up to the speed you wish to drive put it in the right gear and leave it there until you have to downshift down the road. if you want to grab a gear at anytime then get your stick otherwise the auto cruises just as well.

its up to you.....both are great ! I just love the A6 automatic it runs laps around the last generation automatic which was in the last Camaro. If this were a 1998-2002 Camaro I would say get a Manual but with this car both auto and manuals are Good !

its up to you.
Dude, your post was awesome and very informative, but Christ, I couldn't help but relate it to an infomercial.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote