Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
wheres_the_iron_bro

Drives: 2011 Camaro Ls
Exclamation Ticking Noise

Hello All,
This is my first post, but I am a long time reader. I have looked at different threads with similar propblems but have yet to find a solution.I have a 2011 v6(LLT) and am experiencing a ticking noise coming from under the hood. I recently did an oil change after it running down to about 11% oil left( i know i know, crucify me if you feel the need. Regardless, i filled it up with 6 quarts per the manuals reccomendations with 5w-30 royal purple and used a Wic oil filter and yes i replaced the seal. The ticking had started prior to the oil change so i figured it was just the low oil level. 700 miles after the oil change the ticking has increased. I have checked the belts and they are perfectly fine. The ticking only happens when i barley press on the accelarator and will continue if i slowly accelerate. However, it will not tick if i accelerate hard from the start. If its been running for a while, then it will tick around 2200 revs no matter how i accelerate. If i get it higher than 2200 revs, leave it in gear, and let is deccelerate then will be ticking the entire time. It is not the ticking from it being a direct injection engine, that is not what i am hearing. I took it to the dealer and was given a run around since it didnt not have a check engine on. PLEASE give any suggestions to fix or investigate what it is
wheres_the_iron_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Did you mean to say you had only 11 % of your oil in the engine or rather the computer was telling you that you had 11% life left in your oil. But even if you had 11 % life left in the oil that's not a bad thing necessarily unless your oil level is also REALLY LOW ! My thoughts from past experiences lead to Two possibilities the way I see it 1)oil pump has been damaged due to low oil level so its playing with the tolerances on your lifters 2) You may now have a damaged lifter, the most important thing you said there was it was constant on deceleration which leads me to believe oil pressure on the lifters. If you have a lot of miles on the car, I would do another oil change and run some high mileage 5-30 oil. See what happens, all the while compare your pressure between the old oil and new. If you don't see a difference in the pressure and you still have a tick then you probably have a warn lifter and it wont code for a slight warn lifter problem until it gets bad enough. if you have damaged the pump, you had better keep a close eye on your pressure because if it fails it will be catastrophic. That's my 2 cents. Why don't you ask the dealer do an Oil Pressure test under loads before you do anything else?!

Last edited by lawdog; 03-06-2017 at 02:07 AM.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
How many miles on the engine? Do you hear ticking at idle with the hood open and standing right near the engine?
If yes, you can take a length of heater hose or plastic tube and hold near various parts of the engine and put ear to
other end of tube to isolate the area you hear the ticking coming from.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Of course true diagnosis is impossible via keyboard. However, it is common for these engines to lose oil over time, which effects the VVT actuators.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
wheres_the_iron_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
How many miles on the engine? Do you hear ticking at idle with the hood open and standing right near the engine?
If yes, you can take a length of heater hose or plastic tube and hold near various parts of the engine and put ear to
other end of tube to isolate the area you hear the ticking coming from.
Ron
it has 70 5xx, i do not hear it at idle. will tty that, thank you
Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
wheres_the_iron_bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Did you mean to say you had only 11 % of your oil in the engine or rather the computer was telling you that you had 11% life left in your oil. But even if you had 11 % life left in the oil that's not a bad thing necessarily unless your oil level is also REALLY LOW ! My thoughts from past experiences lead to Two possibilities the way I see it 1)oil pump has been damaged due to low oil level so its playing with the tolerances on your lifters 2) You may now have a damaged lifter, the most important thing you said there was it was constant on deceleration which leads me to believe oil pressure on the lifters. If you have a lot of miles on the car, I would do another oil change and run some high mileage 5-30 oil. See what happens, all the while compare your pressure between the old oil and new. If you don't see a difference in the pressure and you still have a tick then you probably have a warn lifter and it wont code for a slight warn lifter problem until it gets bad enough. if you have damaged the pump, you had better keep a close eye on your pressure because if it fails it will be catastrophic. That's my 2 cents. Why don't you ask the dealer do an Oil Pressure test under loads before you do anything else?!
The computer read 11% oil life left, when i checked t there was no oil visible on the dipstick, but when i drained the oil there was plenty of oil left id say at least 2 quarts.First thing im going to get done is get my oil pressure checked. Also today, 'y computer is reading 85% oil left, thats 15% lost in just 7k mile what could that mean. I also checked the dipstick and it was full but the oil looks dirty???
Old 03-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
lawdog

Hmm, 2 quarts my friend is NOT Plenty in these engines. change the oil AGAIN and get an oil pressure test under different RPM loads. But then again with only 2 quarts of oil you may have picked up something and have it lodged in the lifter. If it was me, I would be doing a cleaner/flush. There are a bunch of products on tha market but I would feel safer letting my dealer do it if the engine is newer. and yes let's get the pressure checked !!

Also 15 % loss in 7000 miles is NOT alot in these engines. You should not be going that long between oil changes, 7000 miles??!!! I change my oil every 3000 miles, I know some guys go alot longer then that but I always like to error on the side of caution.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Come on down! You are the next contestant on.....PLEASE CHECK YOUR OIL!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Shame these oil life monitors are killing engines.. Taking the common approach out of taking care of a vehicle. People will believe anything a electronic device tells them anymore ..

OP.. I wish you the best of luck with the outcome and hopefully it is just adding and changing it at this point but nothing on the dipstick my friend is a bad sign because you do not know how long it was like that. Noises are a sign it is too late usually but you may get lucky to be optimistic.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdynak View Post
Shame these oil life monitors are killing engines.. Taking the common approach out of taking care of a vehicle. People will believe anything a electronic device tells them anymore ..

OP.. I wish you the best of luck with the outcome and hopefully it is just adding and changing it at this point but nothing on the dipstick my friend is a bad sign because you do not know how long it was like that. Noises are a sign it is too late usually but you may get lucky to be optimistic.
In his last post, he stated that the OLM was showing 85% at 7,000 miles. I've never had the same oil in any engine that long. I won't go past 5000, and typically shoot for 3,500 to 4,000 miles.

2 quarts left, from a 6 qt fill is definitely not anything like plenty of oil. I'm quite certain the engine is ticking.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
I have a 50k$ oil analysis machine at my shop, I've tested thousands of samples. Today's oils last a lot longer than 4500 miles. This regurgitated internet nonsense gets old.

I'm highly skeptical his OLM read 85% at 7000 miles. Honestly, guy can't check his oil... I don't trust he remembers what it said on the dash at 7k miles.

These engines don't have lifters, they have hydraulic lash adjusters. Your engine is probably on its way out from running on such low oil levels for who knows how long
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
I have a 50k$ oil analysis machine at my shop, I've tested thousands of samples. Today's oils last a lot longer than 4500 miles. This regurgitated internet nonsense gets old.

I'm highly skeptical his OLM read 85% at 7000 miles. Honestly, guy can't check his oil... I don't trust he remembers what it said on the dash at 7k miles.

These engines don't have lifters, they have hydraulic lash adjusters. Your engine is probably on its way out from running on such low oil levels for who knows how long
I too am skeptical about the OLM reading. While I am sure that today's synthetic oils are designed to and do last a lot longer, I am also just as sure, that given the oils critical role in the operation of the engine, I would much rather throw a little money away on excessive oil changes, then throw a lot of money at excessive wear repairs later on.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #13
lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post

serves the same purpose , different name , sort of. Lol
I said it in terms he could understand.

replaced mine at 5000 miles, been there done that.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #14
lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I too am skeptical about the OLM reading. While I am sure that today's synthetic oils are designed to and do last a lot longer, I am also just as sure, that given the oils critical role in the operation of the engine, I would much rather throw a little money away on excessive oil changes, then throw a lot of money at excessive wear repairs later on.
DITTO ! Also if I don't like the way it sounds or performs, it's coming out no matter who makes it or how long it suppose to last. I have had oil in engines that I could tell was crap and had to yank it right away and then noticed a big difference.

He probably did some damage running it that low, I am hoping for the best for him !

Most importantly, I wish the OP well and encourage him to ask questions on this forum, he certainly doesn't want anyone's judgment but rather some helpful direction from experience. i know this forum can be brutal sometimes. Ha Please let us know how it turns out !

Last edited by lawdog; 03-08-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Tags
accelerate, llt, noise, rattle, ticking