Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #43
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
I think it looks good, and 40mpg is pretty sweet too
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #44
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
IMO this may be the first GM car in a long time where the win is the interior.

It is a roomy car that is well thought out and the materials are top notch.

I think the main competitor will be the Corolla followed by the Korean Kia/Hyundai (same company so lump them how you see fit). And it blows them away from what I've seen.

The photos don't show all the optional content. I've seen some that look even better than these press photos.

Your points on the engines are well taken, but CAFE rules now and throwing a bigger 4 cylinder just doesn't work. Need high volumes of 35 to 40 mpg cars to average out the Camaro SSs. And the 40 mpg Cruze might just be the ticket. This will be a quiet, comfortable, economical choice. If you want more performance, Chevrolet would be happy to sell you a V6 Malibu or even a nice Camaro.

People on here need to realize that a big chunk of people in the market for a car like the Cruz think our Camaros are ugly, planet killing monsters. We aren't the Cruz's target demographic!
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I don't love or hate the exterior of this car, but there is a lot more styling done on this car than the Cobalt it replaces, most notably in the front fascia and fenders. But other little touches like the trim under the windows. GM did everything they could to make the Cobalt cheap, and they succeeded. Its also why so many people hate them. This car will be a couple grand more, and inline with its competition. But it will have a nicer interior and looks like it will post better fuel economy as well.

And some of you were talking about low cost performance ... how long until some kids start turning up the boost on the turbo 1.4L? GM's tuned the thing to run on regular. It has a lot of built in potential.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #46
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
But when you "boost it up" you don't get that nice factory warranty if GM made something near a SS model.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305pride View Post
lets see if the cruze can win races like the cobalt................ cruz is my last name so this car better be cool. lol
Did someone just compare a regular Cruze to a Cobalt SS??? Are U people even serious???

This car is already making a name for itself... both here and abroad.

Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #48
Axe

Drives: 2018 LS
Wow. Butt ugly like the Cobalt, but unlike the Cobalt, has a great interior.
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #49
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmicasa the Great XvX View Post
Did someone just compare a regular Cruze to a Cobalt SS??? Are U people even serious???

This car is already making a name for itself... both here and abroad.

not the regular cruze, but if they make an ss version. obviously.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #50
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
CAFE has little to do with it. It's just the raw concept of developing a performance car designed to be sold to a limited audience. You can't sell them at Camaro or Corvette prices and expect to live off of that, ya know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Your points on the engines are well taken, but CAFE rules now and throwing a bigger 4 cylinder just doesn't work. Need high volumes of 35 to 40 mpg cars to average out the Camaro SSs. And the 40 mpg Cruze might just be the ticket. This will be a quiet, comfortable, economical choice. If you want more performance, Chevrolet would be happy to sell you a V6 Malibu or even a nice Camaro.
This is what i meant. From what i understood, CAFE is derived from sales numbers of vehicles.
So if 500 000 thousand Cruzes (with an EPA Est. 40mpg), sell, and 50 000 Camaros sell at (EPA Est. 20 mpg), the average fleet economy stays above 35 mpg, Everybody is happy.

*NOTE: I did no math in this statement, i just threw some numbers together in order to clear up my previous statement, and try to explain my limited understanding of CAFE*
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
But when you "boost it up" you don't get that nice factory warranty if GM made something near a SS model.
you don't get a lower price tag either. I don't know too much about the mindset of the FWD tuner crowd, but generally I think a low cost factory turbo is more important to them than stock performance (and associated warranties). Besides, how many people have voided the warranty on their brand new Camaro with the aim of making it faster? Similar deal here, only they have half the budget.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #52
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
cruze video from gm
Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #53
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I thought they were ugly when I first saw them in the WTCC. I still think they're ugly. Honda Civic is much prettier in my opinion, and don't the new ones have that cool digital dash?

In any case, I hope it does well. The mileage and the interior should draw some interest. Wish the larger engine still had the turbo, though.
Captain Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #54
a_Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
you don't get a lower price tag either. I don't know too much about the mindset of the FWD tuner crowd, but generally I think a low cost factory turbo is more important to them than stock performance (and associated warranties). Besides, how many people have voided the warranty on their brand new Camaro with the aim of making it faster? Similar deal here, only they have half the budget.
Obviously you don't get a lower price tag. We are the minority here, most will not void their warranty just to add aftermarket parts.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #55
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
I will wait to see the Cruze in person before I weigh in on the exterior styling. The inside looks great. As far as the civic or corolla....
Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #56
a_Username

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rolet-cruze-ss

Looks like the Cruze SS may become a reality. A Coupe Cruze SS would sell very good IMO. GM needs to build a sporty version, or lose the the market segment that the Cobalt gained.