Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Exclamation Can’t fill up gas?

For some reason the past few times I’ve put gas in, I can’t go past 3/4 of a tank. Any idea what it is? I’m assuming it’s a sensor.

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Canister vent valve stuck closed.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_redrum View Post
For some reason the past few times I’ve put gas in, I can’t go past 3/4 of a tank. Any idea what it is? I’m assuming it’s a sensor.
What do mean? The needle reads 3/4? How do you know there only 3/4 of a tank? Is the fuel definitely not reaching the top of the gas tank fill neck? You’re not sticking a wooden rod down there or something like that are you?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
Canister vent valve stuck closed.

Noted. Vague problems directed to you from now on.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #5
G8One2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Noted. Vague problems directed to you from now on.

LOL i just know how the vapor system works. I know that the canister vent valve is supposed to open when the ignition is off, closed when ignition is powered. I know that the fuel tank pressure sensor montiors the sealed tank pressure and commands the canister purge solenoid under the hood when pressure reaches a set limit, and pulls a specified amount of vacuum on the tank. Usually, if someone has issues filling the tank, its because the vent valve is not open and the back pressure created when filling the tank, causes the fill pump to shut off.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #6
G8One2

Unless there's something physically wrong with his fuel pump module or the circuit going to it. But thats usually pretty rare. Problems with vapor systems are much more common.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
LOL i just know how the vapor system works. I know that the canister vent valve is supposed to open when the ignition is off, closed when ignition is powered. I know that the fuel tank pressure sensor montiors the sealed tank pressure and commands the canister purge solenoid under the hood when pressure reaches a set limit, and pulls a specified amount of vacuum on the tank. Usually, if someone has issues filling the tank, its because the vent valve is not open and the back pressure created when filling the tank, causes the fill pump to shut off.
You had me at “I just know how the vapor system works”. I have a picture folder on my iPad with screen shots of this stuff. Sometimes easier than google.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
G8One2

Quote:
You had me at “I just know how the vapor system works”. I have a picture folder on my iPad with screen shots of this stuff. Sometimes easier than google.

I mean... I could be wrong, not enough information really. But usually, when people have issues filling the tank, thats why in my experience. Overfilling the tank is also usually what causes damage to the vapor system. It can fill the canister with fuel and gum things up. When the fill pump at the gas station click off, you should stop filling. Not everyone does that.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
I mean... I could be wrong, not enough information really. But usually, when people have issues filling the tank, thats why in my experience. Overfilling the tank is also usually what causes damage to the vapor system. It can fill the canister with fuel and gum things up. When the fill pump at the gas station click off, you should stop filling. Not everyone does that.
I didn’t know that, but for some odd reason...I stop on the first click...
Old 09-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
I cant force myself to stop at first click. My sometimes extreme ocd will not allow me to stop on an odd cent lol
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #11
EJSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Haha I do the same thing. Half of my pics on my phone are also screen shots of camaro5 forum posts.
EJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
G8One2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
I cant force myself to stop at first click. My sometimes extreme ocd will not allow me to stop on an odd cent lol

I dont think topping it off with another 40c in fuel will hurt, but some people dont stop until its actually coming up the filler tube. That is too much.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
G8One2

Ive seen cars with a float valve that prevents filling the vapor system, but that doesnt mean that valve cant fail either. Idk if the Camaro's have that or not. Still best not to over fill, for obvious reasons.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
One should be allowed to fill a fuel tank to capacity without risk of part failure. This means there is a design flaw.

I round to nearest dollar or nearest .50 if there is a line behind me.

Tags
fuel