Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
Z28Ruthless

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Autocross/Track Day Tires

Hey everyone! I have just gotten into autocross this year with my 15 1LE. I am burning up the Goodyear F1s that were on the stock wheels and I will be looking to go to a different tire for next season (thanks MN winters). I was curious if I could get input from some autocross veterans about a tire recommendation on the stock 20s. If I should look into a different set of wheels to run different tires? I tried to do a search but really didn't find much for what I am looking for. Thanks to everyone who responds in advance! Look forward to hearing from you!
Z28Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
If you want to learn how to drive put the cheapest tires on the car and burn up a few sets.

Saying that the BFG Comp 2 A/S even at their price are a damn good choice
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
If you want to learn how to drive put the cheapest tires on the car and burn up a few sets.

Saying that the BFG Comp 2 A/S even at their price are a damn good choice
I have done a couple of the practice events here and have been told I should compete next year. They have all told me that I will be competitive in my class right out the gate so the learning aspect and burning through tires isn't a concern. I would just like to have some insight from others that are or have competed for tire recommendations.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm still a newbie at Auto X but I've had pretty good luck with my Michelin Pilot 4S rubber shoes. I run 305/30/19 square but keep in mind these are a SUMMER only tire. Up in your neck o' the woods you may want to get another set of wheels dedicated for track duties, especially if your vehicle sees wintertime abuse.(UGH!) Maybe at the next event wander about and see what some of the other "heavy cars" are running. The Miata and Subaru guys have different needs/concerns.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I'm still a newbie at Auto X but I've had pretty good luck with my Michelin Pilot 4S rubber shoes. I run 305/30/19 square but keep in mind these are a SUMMER only tire. Up in your neck o' the woods you may want to get another set of wheels dedicated for track duties, especially if your vehicle sees wintertime abuse.(UGH!) Maybe at the next event wander about and see what some of the other "heavy cars" are running. The Miata and Subaru guys have different needs/concerns.
Already ahead of you on the separate set of wheels/tires, I have a set of my "summer/cruising" wheels and tires and strictly use the stock 1LE wheels for track/autocross. My car gets put away as soon as there is even a slight flurry so it will not see any winter time driving...at all...ever. I have not seen many other cars in my class at the practice events so far.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #6
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Ruthless View Post
Hey everyone! I have just gotten into autocross this year with my 15 1LE. I am burning up the Goodyear F1s that were on the stock wheels and I will be looking to go to a different tire for next season (thanks MN winters). I was curious if I could get input from some autocross veterans about a tire recommendation on the stock 20s. If I should look into a different set of wheels to run different tires? I tried to do a search but really didn't find much for what I am looking for. Thanks to everyone who responds in advance! Look forward to hearing from you!
The original GY F1's are a terrible tire for AX. They do not get hot enough. They were a good road course tire in their day as you could get them up to temp.

Are you running CAM-C or F Street next season?

I run in CAM-C. I run a 200TW tire on the factory wheels. 285/20 all around; Bridgestone RE-71's.

In the winter, I run a UHP A/S tire on MRR wheels. I have been running the BFG Comp 2 A/S for six years, but they are shot. So, I will be going to the new Michelin 4 Pilot All Season this fall. They just released them in 285/35/20 in July.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:22 PM   #7
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
The original GY F1's are a terrible tire for AX. They do not get hot enough. They were a good road course tire in their day as you could get them up to temp.

Are you running CAM-C or F Street next season?

I run in CAM-C. I run a 200TW tire on the factory wheels. 285/20 all around; Bridgestone RE-71's.

In the winter, I run a UHP A/S tire on MRR wheels. I have been running the BFG Comp 2 A/S for six years, but they are shot. So, I will be going to the new Michelin 4 Pilot All Season this fall. They just released them in 285/35/20 in July.
I will more than likely run Cam-C next year. I looked into the RE71Rs, but they are discontining them. TireRack had a closeout price on them but are out of stock now. Discount Tire still has them but they do not have a closeout price on them and Im not sure I want to buy a set of discontinued tires at full price.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #8
PapaKlutch

Quote:
I will more than likely run Cam-C next year. I looked into the RE71Rs, but they are discontining them. TireRack had a closeout price on them but are out of stock now. Discount Tire still has them but they do not have a closeout price on them and Im not sure I want to buy a set of discontinued tires at full price.
Bummer...you just missed the RE71 closeout sales....were half price.

I bought 2 sets of the RE71's in 2019 and I'm just on the second set starting this summer. I bought one set at the closeout price in June so I'm set for a couple of years. People have been running other 200TW like Yokohama A052s, but I have not run them.

Our GY replacement is the Eagle F1 Supercar3 at 220TW. I have not heard if it is good for AX or not, tho.

The rumor is that BStone was bringing out an RE72 or ?? to replace the RE71. Don't know what's up with that tho.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Bummer...you just missed the RE71 closeout sales....were half price.

I bought 2 sets of the RE71's in 2019 and I'm just on the second set starting this summer. I bought one set at the closeout price in June so I'm set for a couple of years. People have been running other 200TW like Yokohama A052s, but I have not run them.

Our GY replacement is the Eagle F1 Supercar3 at 220TW. I have not heard if it is good for AX or not, tho.

The rumor is that BStone was bringing out an RE72 or ?? to replace the RE71. Don't know what's up with that tho.
Yeah, I may still try to see if I can get my discount guy to give me a good deal on them but I am not holding my breath. Bridgestone has released a replacement for the RE71s but not in the US yet (ugh). I currently have the F1 supercar3s on my stock wheels, but there is more to be desired with the tire. The A052s, from what I have heard, do not like heat, and they wear faster than the 200tw leads to believe. I appreciate your input on the RE71s, wish I would have been able to jump on a set at closeout.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
PapaKlutch

Quote:
Yeah, I may still try to see if I can get my discount guy to give me a good deal on them, but I am not holding my breath. Bridgestone has released a replacement for the RE71s but not in the US yet (ugh). I currently have the F1 supercar3s on my stock wheels, but there is more to be desired with the tire. The A052s, from what I have heard, do not like heat, and they wear faster than the 200tw leads to believe. I appreciate your input on the RE71s, wish I would have been able to jump on a set at closeout.
Ahhh, good to know the 71 replacement is finally on the way.

For more info, have you looked at the AutoX/Road course section on here? https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Also, if u are on FB, there is an AutoX/Road Course focused Camaro group there at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/137335333719878
Old 08-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Ahhh, good to know the 71 replacement is finally on the way.

For more info, have you looked at the AutoX/Road course section on here? https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

Also, if u are on FB, there is an AutoX/Road Course focused Camaro group there at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/137335333719878
Appreciate the information. I will definitely check it out!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:10 PM   #12
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Have you considered TOYO R888Rs? Bad luck and Discount Tire Three Stooges shipping resulted in me running these on the rear of my C5 Z06. 2 track days and they work great with the worn Yoko Advan 052s on the front. The 100 TW might hose you into a different class if you care.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #13
Z28Ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Have you considered TOYO R888Rs? Bad luck and Discount Tire Three Stooges shipping resulted in me running these on the rear of my C5 Z06. 2 track days and they work great with the worn Yoko Advan 052s on the front. The 100 TW might hose you into a different class if you care.
Sorry for the late reply, I thought about the R888Rs but I would like to compete in the CAM C class which means I need to stick to a 200 treadwear or higher.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
2thousand2

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Order some RE-71R Bridgestone's from Tire Rack, they have been on closeout for a few months.
2thousand2 is offline   Reply With Quote