Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #29
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete G View Post
I am so sad about the Supercar G2 not being available in the 1LE and ZL1 sizes anymore. What are the differences between The G2 and G3?
Does the G3 take a while to heat up as well? Are they not good for auto-x also?
There's no need to be too sad about the G2 availability. It's an 11 + year-old tire; it debuted on the 2011 GT500 and arrived on the ZL1 for 2012. And, eleven years in tire technology is a very long time. There are much better tires available for you now, whether you street drive, do track days, or auto-x. Since you are mostly street driving, the Michelin PS4S is a great street tire. If you want to stick with GY, then the G3 will work for you.

I run the RE-71's for auto-x. I follow a 1LE owner on IG who runs the PS4S and often wins his club's auto-x weekends for his class. That's unusual on a higher than 200 treadwear tire, but the PS4S is an excellent tire.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #30
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
There's no need to be too sad about the G2 availability. It's an 11 + year-old tire; it debuted on the 2011 GT500 and arrived on the ZL1 for 2012. And, eleven years in tire technology is a very long time. There are much better tires available for you now, whether you street drive, do track days, or auto-x. Since you are mostly street driving, the Michelin PS4S is a great street tire. If you want to stick with GY, then the G3 will work for you.

I run the RE-71's for auto-x. I follow a 1LE owner on IG who runs the PS4S and often wins his club's auto-x weekends for his class. That's unusual on a higher than 200 treadwear tire, but the PS4S is an excellent tire.
Thanks for the soothing words lol and for sharing your wisdom.
Yes I am sad to see them go because I really did like them but more so
because I am stuck with a brand new set of G2 rears now.
These are pretty much a dedicated track set for me. I haven't tried auto-x yet. I imagine You don't mix and match.
Thanks again
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:23 AM   #31
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the soothing words lol and for sharing your wisdom.
Yes I am sad to see them go because I really did like them but more so
because I am stuck with a brand new set of G2 rears now.
These are pretty much a dedicated track set for me. I haven't tried auto-x yet. I imagine You don't mix and match.
Thanks again
No, no mix and matching. But you could always sell the G2's.

I sold my last set of G2s and moved on. 2021 tires are so much better. You'll see a big jump in performance by leaving those G2s behind. Even as track day tires, the G2s are really not a top dog any longer.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #32
Pete G

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlutch View Post
No, no mix and matching. But you could always sell the G2's.

I sold my last set of G2s and moved on. 2021 tires are so much better. You'll see a big jump in performance by leaving those G2s behind. Even as track day tires, the G2s are really not a top dog any longer.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #33
Z28Ruthless

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
I'm current dominating my class in my local auto-x club. Here's where I'm standing, I'm on top of D-class: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...st__points.htm Two years ago I was solidly mid-pack out of a regular 20 cars or so, then in the winter of 2019 I threw on Re-71s. Finished 3rd in class at the end of the 2020 season, and am kinda crushing everyone else this season. Tires were a huge part of that.

OEM G2s are terrible Auto-X tires. Track days they are great, they need a LOT of heat to work correctly, but they suck at Auto-X. R888s aren't hot either. Whoever recommended the all-season Bridgestones is just wrong on an entirely different level. Those things are hot trash (I had a set that I literally threw out after a few thousand miles because of how absolutely terrible they were). Pilot Sport 4S' aren't terrible, but definitely aren't RE-71s.

As far as the replacement, the RE-71S ... a few of us have called Bridgestone they have no plans to EVER release that tire to the US market. Additionally, its an enduro tire and not built for Auto-X.

It's looking like there going to be three competitive tires in the 200 treadwear category for next season, the Nankang CR1, the Falken RT660, and the Yokohama Advan A052. I looked, and since I too am running on OEM wheels, the only thing one of those three tires made in our size is the A052. This isn't a bad thing, since it's the fastest tire out there right now. But the wear is kind of absurd and they're $1600 a set.

I'm topped out at -1.9 degrees of camber in the front, and -1.5 in the rear. Camber plates are going up front this winter in anticipation of running A052 on the hopes that they'll last one whole season (for the record, RE-71s lasted me two full seasons, approximately 150 runs + daily driving duties during the season). The rears I'm just going to end up chewing through I'm sure.

The smart thing to do is to pull the trigger on forged 19" or even better, 18" wheels if they clear the C7 Z06 brakes I've got which opens me up to more tire choices as well as makes the tires a lot cheaper. That's an additional $4K minimum though and I'll still need new tires. The wife will not be ecstatic.
Appreciate that bit of information for sure. I was looking at the A052s for next year. Sorry for the late response as I haven't been on the forum as of late. I will probably end up trying the A052s and hope they last a good while. The good news is I use the stock 1LE wheels with a set of tires for my autox/road course and have a separate set of wheels/tires for summer driving with the car so hopefully they will last a whole season for me. I was debating on having a set of 18" wheels...but then I would be up to 3 sets of wheels and as you said...wife would not agree!

Side note, I participated in Crown Rally North at the end of August. Was very impressed with my Yokohama Advan Apex tires that are on my other set of wheels. Held up very good and had loads of confidence through the country road corners so if anyone is looking for a different set of tires for regular road driving I hightly recommend those. A part of the Rally was actually a private track day at Road America. I wasn't able to push my car hard on the course as I was getting held up by people ahead of me (Did not point to let me pass, stuck to track rules for safety reasons) but what a track! Was a great time and having that additional seat time was great!
Z28Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #34
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Thanks for your input, I have never done an auto-x but hopefully someday. You do track days as well, right?
PS
love your "thoughts on some things"
Yes, a few. The North-East Pennsylvania SCCA Auto-X club runs out of Pocono and tends to do lots of track sprints which are better for me than full track days (this car eats consumables incredibly ****ing fiercely) so next season I'll be doing more of those.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #35
Pete G

Quote:
Yes, a few. The North-East Pennsylvania SCCA Auto-X club runs out of Pocono and tends to do lots of track sprints which are better for me than full track days (this car eats consumables incredibly ****ing fiercely) so next season I'll be doing more of those.
Please fill me in on what a track sprint is???
Old 09-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #36
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Please fill me in on what a track sprint is???
The auto-crosses at Pocono are held on a portion of the infield section of the track. After the autox is over, they remove the cones and we get to do the same section of track through the timing lights with no cones. They call that a track sprint.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:27 AM   #37
Pete G

Quote:
The auto-crosses at Pocono are held on a portion of the infield section of the track. After the autox is over, they remove the cones and we get to do the same section of track through the timing lights with no cones. They call that a track sprint.
Sounds like fun