Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i narrowed it down to 2

here is what i'm thinking for my exhaust and would love the help of my camaro5 family. i'm either going with magnaflow 3" comptetion part number 16483 or borla stainless S type cat back part number 140280. please let me know which one you think is better.

thanks
paul
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
I like the Magnaflows on mine.....

2010 RJT 2SS/RS L99 CAMARO
ARH 1 7/8" LT HEADERS W/ HF CATS
MAGNAFLOW 3" COMP EXHAUST
ADM PERFORMANCE CAI
ADM PERFORMANCE CUSTOM TUNE
ADM PERFORMANCE PORTED THROTTLE BODY
ADM PERFORMANCE TRANS COOLER
3.45 GEARS
BMR TRAILING ARMS
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
L99 or LS3 ?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
sspaul

i have the ls3? i really wish i could hear both systems in person
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
Old 01-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Have you heard both in person? This debate is really about personal preference. I've never heard the Magnaflows, but my choice was between the Corsa and the Borla. After hearing mlee's Corsa, I ended up with the Borla. His sounded great, but I just liked the deeper rumble. There is some drone at highway speeds, but I think part of that is from the AFM, which I'm about to tune out. I actually like hearing my car when I'm driving...reminds me that I'm in a Camaro!

You can listen to some clips on the internet, but it's really not the same as in person. I would see if you can get out to some street meets and find the real thing.

Good Luck!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
sspaul

no i haven't heard any in person, and your right the video and audio clips aren't the same as hearing it in person. i'm gonna try and hit some street meets. also if anyone one in my area has a cat back exhaust that i can listen to in person please pm and let me know.

thanks
paul

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Hopper
Chevy Lifer

Drives: '13 Caddy ATS, '10 2SS/RS ABM M6
I've heard both and I prefer sound of the Magnaflow 16483 system, but I agree it's a matter of personal choice. I was looking at SLP LMII, Borla and this Magnaflow system. I ruled out the SLP system (which I initially thought sounded best) after riding with someone who had one installed. I didn't like the drone while cruising at normal speed. Heard a Borla and liked the deep sound, but I've also heard there is a drone with that system from reading threads on this forum. I was fortunate enough to have a ride in an LS3 with the Magnaflow system and the drone was almost non-existent to my ear. He told me the quality and design in the Magnaflow X-pipe is what minimizes the drone, but I'm not an engineer so I don't know for sure what does it. I just know I didn't hear any drone and the sound was awesome. Since I liked the sound, that's how I made my decision. Just waiting for my tax refund so I can get it done!

My suggestion...try to find an installer that can hook you up with people who have the systems installed. That's how I made my decision. Most shops know enthusiasts they can call on that are more than proud to show off their cars and help you make a decision. Good luck to you.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
SSPaul,
Do you ever get up to the Shreveport/Bossier City area? I have the 16483 Magnaflow installed on my LS3 car. You are more than welcome to listen to it. I don't go south very often but maybe we could meet up somewhere. I love the deep sound of the Magnaflow. The only other exhaust I've heard in person was an axle back Loudmouth II. It was Ok but just not the sound I was looking for.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
DZbob

Drives: 2010 RJT Camaro M6
Send a message via ICQ to DZbob
I have the Borla system and have no complaints. I love the sound; loud enough to tell it's a musclecar, but not too loud that I can't have a conversation inside the car.

Just my $.02
DZbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I have the borla I love it but I also have ARH Headers and high flow catts it sounds awsome!!!!
Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 AM   #11
sspaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoirier View Post
SSPaul,
Do you ever get up to the Shreveport/Bossier City area? I have the 16483 Magnaflow installed on my LS3 car. You are more than welcome to listen to it. I don't go south very often but maybe we could meet up somewhere. I love the deep sound of the Magnaflow. The only other exhaust I've heard in person was an axle back Loudmouth II. It was Ok but just not the sound I was looking for.
nah i usually don't get that way. sometimes i make it to lafyette. yeah i def. want something deep and aggressive.

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
Old 01-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
Go for the Magnaflow for sure!
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
rgc1279

Drives: Black 1SS/RS
magnaflow 16483 = awesome
rgc1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Hyp
I've been lost...

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS W/IOM LSA Swap
I ordered the Magnaflow 16483 system after looking thru hundreds of videos on youtube. It'll be here on tuesday and ill install it when the car gets out of the shop. If you plan to make big power, go ahead and do yourself a favor and grab the 3" magnaflow.
Hyp is offline   Reply With Quote