Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #29
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
He's only buying the R/T? You don't need to joke about him handling defeat...
i thought i remembered him saying he ordered the R/T.

He does have a little bit of time to make his car go faster, but for the sake of competition, it'd be better if he left it stock
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #30
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
lol I ordered an SRT8 lol dunno where he got a RT from, I guess that is congos dream match up

and Tom relax, I hate the fact that mercedes tampered with chrysler but I never said the ls3 would be defective lol. Relax I think your just mad becuase right now the main car to compare in price is not the srt8s difference to the rt but the g8 gxp which is basically close to what the camaro will be if not less and it comes in at just under 40k, if the camaro even comes in at 40k with the extra stuff it still is pricey but trust me I am rooting for you guys so you can rub it in my face .

Btw I knew about the mercedes chasis. I just tried to sneak it past you and play it off as it was first introduced a few years back with the charger and lx cars .

Oh I'm not mad at all. I was talking to the guy who talked about the Mallet guys saying the LS3s they've put in their solstice project cars were defective.

And I'm only saying that you're comparison is obviously a little biased because you think that Dodge is the mold for the new muscle car and Chevy couldn't possibly deviate when it comes to price. I think you're wrong.

And you only show how biased you are by admitting to trying to lie about the Mercedes Chassis. Maybe you should reconsider your supposed objective view of the Camaro.

Sorry to call you out.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #31
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Oh I'm not mad at all. I was talking to the guy who talked about the Mallet guys saying the LS3s they've put in their solstice project cars were defective.

And I'm only saying that you're comparison is obviously a little biased because you think that Dodge is the mold for the new muscle car and Chevy couldn't possibly deviate when it comes to price. I think you're wrong.

And you only show how biased you are by admitting to trying to lie about the Mercedes Chassis. Maybe you should reconsider your supposed objective view of the Camaro.

Sorry to call you out.
No problem man we call each other out on things we disagree on. I am a bit biased which most people are with their cars and brands. But At least it isnt to the point that I claim that dodge is the almighty muscle car of the future it is not. It is the most expensive of the 3 and not even at the top, that is something that has to be fixed.

You got me all wrong on the basing everything on what the challenger did. I am basing everything on the most obvious car that the camaro can be compared to the g8 gxp. That is where I am guestimating my price.

I hope that sets things straight between you and me. I just personally view looks as the first thing then power next. It all comes down to personal preference. And to me the challenger has the better looks and slightly less power so that is perfect for me.

oh and the ls3 should not be deffective. Even I as a mopar fan can admit the ls3 is an amazing engine. I wish dodge would go to alluminum blocks, it would light up the car quite a bit.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #32
Congoman775

kevin have you already ordered your car?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #33
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
you are dreaming of a white christmas as the song says.

that also goes for congos 34k fully loaded number. why cant anyone argue the gxp comment I made. Cuz it is probably true.
Why am I dreaming of a white christmas? Those mods will put the SS at over 500 rwhp. That's plenty to not only hang with the GT500 and SRT8, but smoke them pretty badly. Sure the GT500 is easy to mod and makes good power modded, but your chances of running into a capable driver in a modded GT500 is pretty slim.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #34
HOTCIVIC

Quote:
On the subject of modding, the GT500 has the Camaro beat. A pulley swap takes about 10 minutes and with belt and quality pulley will cost you in the neighborhood of 300 dollars or so. You'll be on the road putting out more boost for about 500 bucks. A cam swap will cost you about 1500 dollars. Says my performance tuner for my GTO.

And MSRP has been 42k for the GT500 since it came out. There's been no increase. Some dealers are still selling them with markup but it's easier to get one at or close to MSRP now.
No doubt, but for someone who wants GT500 power but doesn't want a Ford, and wants to beat most GT500s they run into, buying a SS and modding it is a nice alternative. With those mods you are looking at spending between $2k - $3k. Not too shabby for 500+ rwhp.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #35
MajorTom

I agree looks are important. But they are very subjective. You can't really argue which one looks better because you can't put a number on it and say "This is better than that".

And yeah, I don't think the Camaro will be the end all be all of performance cars. I do believe it'll be at the top of the heap of the three cars most commonly compared. It'll be interesting to see Ford's new entry into the segment if it indeed has 400hp like some sources say.

Oh, and the G8 GT is 30k, while the GXP is going to share powertrains and some suspension bits, I dunno if it'll be directly comparable in price. We'll just have to see.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #36
Congoman775

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
No doubt, but for someone who wants GT500 power but doesn't want a Ford, and wants to beat most GT500s they run into, buying a SS and modding it is a nice alternative. With those mods you are looking at spending between $2k - $3k. Not too shabby for 500+ rwhp.
ok lets look at numbers.

For 43k+ the GT500 will get you 500 hp.

For 32-35k the SS will get you 500 hp.

From there the GT500 will do a pulley swap for 1000 or less, BUT this is nothing that the camaro can not acheive for thousands less.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 PM   #37
HOTCIVIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
ok lets look at numbers.

For 43k+ the GT500 will get you 500 hp.

For 32-35k the SS will get you 500 hp.

From there the GT500 will do a pulley swap for 1000 or less, BUT this is nothing that the camaro can not acheive for thousands less.
From there the SS can go with a Procharger for $5k, put out 650 rwhp, and still come out less than what the GT500 costs. And you won't have to drive around in an ugly car with a cheap Fisher Price interior.

P.S. The GT500 is 430 rwhp stock. The Camaro would have 500 rwhp with the mods listed. With a pulley the GT500 might be getting closer to the Camaro's power, but then again the GT500 is gonna need more since it weighs more.

(Not tryin to argue - just friendly discussion )
Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #38
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
From there the SS can go with a Procharger for $5k, put out 650 rwhp, and still come out less than what the GT500 costs. And you won't have to drive around in an ugly car with a cheap Fisher Price interior.

P.S. The GT500 is 430 rwhp stock. The Camaro would have 500 rwhp with the mods listed. With a pulley the GT500 might be getting closer to the Camaro's power, but then again the GT500 is gonna need more since it weighs more.

(Not tryin to argue - just friendly discussion )
Not only that, but we will have more cubes too.
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #39
HOTCIVIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
More cubes more POWAA!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #40
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
I wish dodge would let us do more with those cubes.

wow are you sure with just a cam swap and headers you will see 500 to the wheels, i would think 500 to the crank but if it is true that would be sick. I guess you guys are basing this off the corvette swaps and such?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #41
MajorTom

We may have more cubes but they have more valves. Those count when it comes to air flow (why they respond so well to supercharging).

Stock for stock the GT500 will be faster in the straights. I've heard numbers closer to 450 for stock RWHP. Not bad. I've always said it doesn't make sense to compare a stock car to a modded one no matter the price difference. It's not what you can make the car do it's what the car will do from manufacturer that counts. Your personal Camaro may end up being faster than a GT500 but you can't say "All camaro's are faster than GT500s". And you couldn't take both cars off the showroom floor and race them and get a favorable outcome for the Camaro (most likely). Once their in consumer's hands all the stock for stock talk goes out the window because you don't know what you'll come up against at a light or on the track.

There is something to be said for modability but I think with the GT500s supercharger and how it'll respond to mods and stuff it has the advantage. Supercharged cars are easier to mod because they respond so well to better air flow better than a NA car. Not an argument. Just a fact. I'm not saying the GT500 is a better car for this, just that it is indeed the case. Not that it matters that much because the real test is how each car compares stock for stock.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #42
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
kevin have you already ordered your car?
yea I have my 1000 deposite on one at a little over invoice.