Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
NoFatChx

Drives: 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Do Headers improve gas mileage

I know that new exhaust improves gas mileage but do headers also improve mpg. Headers improve the HP a lot so I wasn't sure if in increases mpg so if somebody would help me out that would be awesome.
NoFatChx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
John VS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT CGM, IOM Int.
Funny you should ask...

I got my shorty headers installed Friday. Today I reset the average mpgs. In the first 10 miles I'm seeing about 2 mpg improvement over what I was getting. That may well change. I'd say I'll have a good comparison to my baseline by next weekend. I'll try to report back.
John VS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
most of the time, a properly designed exhaust will improve the engines scavenging properties, improving it's efficiency on the exhaust side, not only making more power, but improving the mpg's a little. But most people love the sound under wot and keep pushing the gas harder than before to get that sound and then complain their mpg's have gone downhill

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdon View Post
most of the time, a properly designed exhaust will improve the engines scavenging properties, improving it's efficiency on the exhaust side, not only making more power, but improving the mpg's a little. But most people love the sound under wot and keep pushing the gas harder than before to get that sound and then complain their mpg's have gone downhill
Exactly. Anything that makes it easier for air or exhaust gas to flow should improve both power and fuel economy. But these sorts of mods make it more fun to hammer the gas (afterall, they buy it for the power not fuel economy) and causes any gains to be tossed out the window.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
NXC1978

Drives: 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VS View Post
Funny you should ask...

I got my shorty headers installed Friday. Today I reset the average mpgs. In the first 10 miles I'm seeing about 2 mpg improvement over what I was getting. That may well change. I'd say I'll have a good comparison to my baseline by next weekend. I'll try to report back.
Cool, let us know!
NXC1978 is offline   Reply With Quote