Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Manuals are faster at doing burnouts! Why fight it!

Yup, I agree, while the auto just hooks and goes.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

lol... with those rims idk
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #17
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
so let me get this straight...some of you M6 guys, will be doing about 10mph in first and plant your foot, and the tires will light up...??? on a normal day, dry pavement?? mine will NOT do that. and i am not sure how it could be driver error...you simply go straight and plant it (not too mention i do know how to drive, lol)
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
caper

ohh and on a side note, i have gone wayyyy sideways into second before (not spiining in 1st before the shift either), and i have chiped em into 3rd plenty...so i think my car isnt slow or anything... i just dont see a rolling smoke show happening without something to help...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
so let me get this straight...some of you M6 guys, will be doing about 10mph in first and plant your foot, and the tires will light up...??? on a normal day, dry pavement?? mine will NOT do that. and i am not sure how it could be driver error...you simply go straight and plant it (not too mention i do know how to drive, lol)

going 10.. push clutch in gas it dump clutch
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
caper

yeah i am sure it will do it then... but i mean, just rolling and hot the throttle,, no clutch...thats what i would think people mean by rolling. if you are clutching it, well thats different. no?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #21
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Heh!

On a serious note, I've been doing bracket racing with my SS. I've never done quarter mile racing before...I've always liked doing curvies until now. However, the Camaro begs to be driven on the quarter mile, so I'm learning.

What sucks is we've had 5 times at the track so far this year, and 2 of those were rainouts. Last Friday, weather was great, but the tree was malfunctioning, so we only had one test & tune run. So, I've only had 8 runs to work on my technique. My fastest time is 13.8, and that was with a .256 reaction time and a fair amount of wheelspin during the first 60 feet. I was in competition mode.

The first week I went out I had 4 runs, and forgot to turn traction control off. My first two runs were 14.323 (looking good for bracket racing). 3rd run was a 14.2. 4th run (live elimination), I set my time at 14.2. I turned off T/C and ended up roasting the tires for a long ways...I ran a 14.15, thus breaking out (but 111mph on the 1/4 mile trap speed)

Second week, I used Competition mode, had 2 practice runs in the 13.8'sm with a fair amount of wheelspin. I did, however, try to do a start like I was on the street during my live run (no burnoff, lower RPM), and lurched the car...ran a 15.1.

Last Friday, had just one run and tried again to do a low rpm start where I wasn't burning off. Again lurched the car but ran a 14.02.

Basically, I need more runs to work on my consistency...

I'm pretty certain I can improve on my R/T once I get my launch down a little better...it's been in the .250 range.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I've tried with T/C on and off and I've only chirped my tires a handful of times. I don't try it often, but there have been times when I did try with no success. Funny thing is, mine isn't stock. I even have a custom tune. I'm not overly concerned, but it does cause me to be curious when I see how "easy" some of you guys manage it.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_Killer View Post
I've tried with T/C on and off and I've only chirped my tires a handful of times. I don't try it often, but there have been times when I did try with no success. Funny thing is, mine isn't stock. I even have a custom tune. I'm not overly concerned, but it does cause me to be curious when I see how "easy" some of you guys manage it.
I suspect it's a dump the clutch thing. When I first had mine, the only way I could burn out without dumping the clutch was while turning. And, I got massive wheel hop.

I can burn out without dumping the clutch from a stop, but I have to work at it. If I'm rolling, I can't break the wheels loose at any speed.

Perhaps it's the way I drive...I try to be smooth on the shifts.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #24
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I say its a driver Fault however I do know a few people have said its hard to learn how to launch a maual better yet spin the tires. I drove a friends manual and had no problems.

I have a automatic Now and when mine had the factory tune I had to bring it up around 1500rpms and let her rip just to spin the tires now with my ADM Tune and 383 lbs of torque I can just stick it in drive and let her rip and its smoke and screaming the rest of the way.

If I ease into it then WOT I plant and scream off the line.

Thanks Andy @ Adm for making my car WALK faster now lets make her Run faster
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Basically, I need more runs to work on my consistency...
See.......

I don't have that problem.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
yeah i am sure it will do it then... but i mean, just rolling and hot the throttle,, no clutch...thats what i would think people mean by rolling. if you are clutching it, well thats different. no?

I agree ... Pushing in the clutch, gassing it and dumping the clutch isn't from a roll. To me from a roll is gassing it without using the clutch. I know mine won't light them up from a roll, just by using the gas ... But that is a good thing ...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
eitek1

Drives: Trailblazer
So what I mean by a "rolling Start" is I engage the clutch and increase my speed to about 10 miles per hour. Once I achieve this speed I push the throttle to the floor.
With the traction control off my car will not spin the tires.

Will your car?

BTW the car has 345 miles on it.

IOM 1SS W/ M6 on order
eitek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitek1 View Post
So what I mean by a "rolling Start" is I engage the clutch and increase my speed to about 10 miles per hour. Once I achieve this speed I push the throttle to the floor.
With the traction control off my car will not spin the tires.

Will your car?

BTW the car has 345 miles on it.

NOPE !!!