Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #155
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Some say the failure is due to electrolysis.
Many who have aftermarket electronics are subject.
Interesting to note if its caused by aftermarket electronics. They may not be grounding them properly...
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 AM   #156
Steve2150

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Interesting to note if its caused by aftermarket electronics. They may not be grounding them properly...
Was speaking with the service mgr at the dealership, he said the ones they did had no aftermarket electronics. Wonder if then if there is a ground problem with our Camaros since we dont here much of early heater cores failures on other GM's?
Steve2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #157
Steve2150

I am not a mechanic or electrician, only using common sense in saying I think there is an inherit ground problem in the design of our Camaros, 1. The Camaros are prone to early heater core failures where we dont hear about other GM vehicles having this and the reason going around is electrololosis. 2. There is a communication problem of the Mylink to the HUD where the song titles stop displaying but most times when you shut the motor and restart the song titles usually come back. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #158
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
Damn... this keeps going bad on so many of our cars. I'm pretty sure mine is next! Started getting a really foul smell out of my A/C today. Hasn't started dripping on to the passenger side floor yet but i'm sure it's going to happen very soon.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #159
Bpw72

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible 2ss/rs
It seems mine has gone as well. Not sure if it's the core or a line yet as I have a wet drivers side floor with the fogged windshield. Everyone else is saying the passenger side floor is wet.
Warranty expired April 27, oh how convenient. Going to dealer today to diagnose and they said they will see if GM will do anything since it's so close to warranty expiration. I think I know the answer to that one.

He said on the phone $1320
Bpw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #160
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Electrolysis is NOT a "grounding" problem per se'.

It IS a ground routing problem.

How much bleed current is shunted to ground in a path not designed for grounding.

The green wire is for ground,... the current path to get there is what must be looked at for the direct issue.

But I seriously doubt this would effect a MyLink issue, it is more of a corrosion issue.

Electrolysis happens at an ionic level. And if the heater core is metal and failing, one has to consider the electrolytic charge it holds.

My 2c maybe misdirected.
Mark T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #161
Steve2150

You have mainly Camaro heater core failures out of all GM cars, is ours designed differently or a different vendor providing it.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #162
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Convertible
Location: Mid-NJ.....13 Year Army Paratrooper. Death from Above!!!
Send a message via AIM to skysharker1 Send a message via Yahoo to skysharker1
Great!!! Just found this issue on my passenger side:

Removed the glove box and looked up behind the radio and this is what I found...NOW WHAT!!!
skysharker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #163
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Took me 2 full days of work to change mine myself...but that said...you DO NOT need to remove the windshield to change it.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #164
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

You didn't happen to write down what you did...or take pics.....did ya? LoL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
Took me 2 full days of work to change mine myself...but that said...you DO NOT need to remove the windshield to change it.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #165
Rhyno

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Rhyno
Yeah, no kidding. MikeOD, if you have pictures or suggestions, I'm interested. I don't have the heater core problem. Mines an AC issue (with the evap). No leaking, thankfully, but the resolution is the same. Replace the heater/evap core which required pulling the dash, which requires pulling the windshield.

Total bill from Rodgers Chevrolet is over 2K. Unless I can find an alternate solution, I'm just going to have to live without AC.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #166
skysharker1
Airborne Paratroopers!!!

Wish I could just live with it, but that's a no can do....coolant leaking all over my rug....grrrrrrr
Old 06-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #167
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
Yeah, no kidding. MikeOD, if you have pictures or suggestions, I'm interested. I don't have the heater core problem. Mines an AC issue (with the evap). No leaking, thankfully, but the resolution is the same. Replace the heater/evap core which required pulling the dash, which requires pulling the windshield.

Total bill from Rodgers Chevrolet is over 2K. Unless I can find an alternate solution, I'm just going to have to live without AC.
The dash pad comes off without removing the windshield...then there are 2 fasteners holding the dash frame on that are under the windshield (there are more than 2, but 2 are right under the glass).

You can't get the HVAC box out without removing the frame. Remove the brake pedal first, then you have access to the bottom of one fastener...cut the bottom portion of it off as high as you want/can...anything sticking through is unecessary anyways. Now you can remove that one without it hitting the glass.

On the passenger side fastener, I unbolted it, then had a friend pry the frame downward while I continued unscrewing it...had to be REAL careful though because if he slipped, we were breaking the windshield.

We were able to get the frame free, had to leave that bolt in place though.

Once everything is out, you can probably cut the bottom of that bolt off too to make reinstall easier...but we just pried it again and made it happen.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #168
4RSS FED
Now Compressing Air

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Actually it may be tough, but if your vehicle is off warranty (to save $$) I wonder if you can loosen the bolts off enough until they almost touch the windshield, then get in there with a small cut off wheel and cut the heads off and keep twisting them out so you would not have to remove the windshield , then at re-assembly use shorter bolts. Just the mechanic in me thinking
I know this is an old thread that I am digging through but I found my way here because of the same problem. What about during reassembly inserting some shorter bolts from the bottom with some nuts on the windshield side in the offending area? Would that work with the way it is designed?
4RSS FED is offline   Reply With Quote