Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
applesyo

Drives: 2014 camaro 1lt rs
Unhappy fender bender. need advice.

I hit a parking deck gate while trying to drive through. It's such a tragic feeling, knowing that it's my pride and joy.
I am wondering if there it's any diy fix or advice for repair.
I am a young diver with already high insurance rate so I'm trying to keep this to myself.
applesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
how the hell does someone does this dont get it. can you see that it was tight to fit your car throw it.
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Check with the local schools and see if they have an adult education class on auto body. I was restoring a car a few years ago and took the class and got to a work on my own car in it and use their materials and tools. All I had to buy was the paint and clear coat. I think it was like a 10 week class and cost about $120. Well worth the money to me.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Just take it to a body shop, and pay for it out of pocket..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Ouch! Sorry!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
What is your location? Pm me if you are in norcal.

If you want to keep the price as low as possible, order a fender online or find a used one. Remove the bumper and take the grilles, lights etc out.

Take the fender and bumper to a body shop and have them paint off the car. They will probably want to blend the door and hood. But if you want to keep costs down, don't blend. Just have them butt match the best as possible and live with the potential color difference.

After they are painted you can install the parts yourself and save big bucks.

I work in a collision shop and fix that kind of stuff all day everyday. I'd replace the fender, unless you are OK with a bondo sculpture for a fender.....
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
chances are the bumper will just need paint. but the fender, that's a toss up between being able to be pulled or having to be replaced. got into a similar accident with my last car, except the bumper was also shot, but they managed to pull the fender back out and repaint it
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
fastjohnny

In my opinion the fender isn't worth fixing, get a new one, the bumper you can salvage as long as there is no cracks, color matching to your original paint is tricky on some colors, not sure if you just have the bumper and fender painted and put them on your self as to how well they will match. Go go a body shop and show them what you have, and let them know your paying for it out of pocket and not a Insurance claim. Good luck, I know that sick feeling your having, but in the long run if you get the job done right you will feel much better in the long run!!!!
fastjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny View Post
In my opinion the fender isn't worth fixing, get a new one, the bumper you can salvage as long as there is no cracks, color matching to your original paint is tricky on some colors, not sure if you just have the bumper and fender painted and put them on your self as to how well they will match. Go go a body shop and show them what you have, and let them know your paying for it out of pocket and not a Insurance claim. Good luck, I know that sick feeling your having, but in the long run if you get the job done right you will feel much better in the long run!!!!
A new fender is about $325 including shipping from online parts stores. Well worth it to have it fixed right. If you pay out of pocket, you don't have to worry about insurance going up as well as no car fax history to mess up your trade in later on.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #10
Blue Thunder

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS/RS
That's a 8-10 hr repair on that fender. At $45 an hour it is prob cheaper to replace. But with a repair you might be able to get away with just refinishing the fender. With replacing fender you're better off with the paint being blended to door and hood. The bumper cover already needs to be refinished or at least blended as well.

Stainless Power 1-7/8 headers, HF cats
Magnaflow 3" tru-x cat back exhaust
NicKey Dyno tune
Bo White ported throttle body
Elite Engineering Catch Can
CAI air intake
GM Strut Brace Bar
JL Audio 12w3 sub, JX1000/1d amp
CFD Carbon Fiber pistol grip TapShift shifter
EGX rear window louvers
4500k HID head and fog lights

Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Out of pocket for sure. Had to to a similar thing for one of my kids.

Bought the fender, clips and side marker;hand rubbed out the bumper; took it to the "Fix this -fix that" body guy, cost me just under a grand for everything. Kept it off the Insurance (had 500 deductable anyhow)
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote