Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
IROCTPI

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 305 TPI 700R4
removing dents with hairdryer and ice.

anyone tried this? Does it work? i tried it a bit ago but i didnt do to good of a job at it, going set the car in the sun, heat up the dent a bit with a hair dryer and get some really cold ice on it. also has anyone used one of the dent pullers from like harbor freight?

Me -14! year old guy -- My Girl -1987 IROC-Z 305TPI 700R4 modded
IROCTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCTPI View Post
anyone tried this? Does it work? i tried it a bit ago but i didnt do to good of a job at it, going set the car in the sun, heat up the dent a bit with a hair dryer and get some really cold ice on it. also has anyone used one of the dent pullers from like harbor freight?
its better to try it with those keyboard dusters, jus turn them upside down so i shoots out the ICE COLD c02 on the panel if it doesnt come out it might not, nut i have never personally tried it
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
its dry ice that works the best. the sun will do it sometimes on smaller dents and a dark color. i personally would find a good pdr guy and let them do it.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I used pops a dent for mine, and those will help in pulling the dent.

I tried the heat then ice method, and there was no luck with that.
I didn't try dry ice.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
IROCTPI

im going try the regular ice now i think, then if that doesnt work the duster (would a air compressor work?) and if that doesnt work maybe dry ice, where do i find it?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
IROCTPI

i also tried pops a dent I HATED IT! i used the glue like your suppose to but it still melted onto my paint and i scraped what i could off but theres still a bit on the fender.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
a air compressor will not work, basically you are trying to massage the metal back from having a stretch in it. the methods being mentioned are trying to bring extreme temperature change to the metal to allow it to pop back. the suction cups will work, i have even used a new/clean toilet plunger. the main thing with the suction cups, etc is lubricating the metal so you don't scratch it with the dry cup. just spray some soapy water on it and you will be fine. if that doesn't work a good pdr guy can take it out.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
im going try the regular ice now i think, then if that doesnt work the duster (would a air compressor work?) and if that doesnt work maybe dry ice, where do i find it?
no a air compressor wont work the air that hits the panel has to be ice cold for it to work
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Dry ice is frozen CO2 so it's essentially the can of air duster but colder (because it's forzen not liquid) and harder to handle. I would try the upsidedown air duster. If it doesn't work the dry ice probably won't work much better. Just heat it up good. (don't burn the paint!) Then quickly blast it with the duster upsidedown until you get a result. This will probably only work on dents that are like small circles if you have a crease it will be less likely to work. Compressed air will not work.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
IROCTPI

thanks guys
i figured an air compressor wouldnt work but i thought maybe there was a way to let it shoot out ice cold air. is there anywhere else to buy suction cups instead of online, wont be able to get one online as we have never felt to safe doing that.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
i also tried pops a dent I HATED IT! i used the glue like your suppose to but it still melted onto my paint and i scraped what i could off but theres still a bit on the fender.
Rubbing alcohol or goof off will remove that.

It sounds like you had the glue too hot.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
thanks guys
i figured an air compressor wouldnt work but i thought maybe there was a way to let it shoot out ice cold air. is there anywhere else to buy suction cups instead of online, wont be able to get one online as we have never felt to safe doing that.
Check out Home Depot or Lowes. Heck even a good small plunger would help. as long as it makes a good seal.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I used the duster and heater method on my 2006 charger. I had a door ding - more of dent than a ding really. If the metal was "stretched" or creased then forget about using any method above. If the metal was simply bent like mine was it works pretty good.

I don't recall all the tricks. But heat the area with a heat gun or ( worse case ) hair dryer. Make sure the center is the dent and that it is the hottest work in a circle pattern to het the area around the dent.

Turn the duster can upside down and spray the liquid onto the pnel in a circular motion starting on the outside and working toward the center. You should be able to watch the metal moving toward you. I did process like three times and the dent was almost gone but a lot less noticeable.