Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
jayC1974

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss aqua blue
Catalytic converter

My local speed shop here in Arkansas is telling me that there will be no problem just deleting my catalytic converter. My set up I am going for is Kooks Long tube headers with a Corsa exhaust and Hypertech Tune. Now of course the headers with no catalytic converter are way less money but im worried about my warranty. I live in a state that emissions is not a problem so deleting the cats would be no problem for that. My questions are.

What are the pros and cons of deleting my catalytic converter? Will I have a problem setting my Tune back to stock if I have to take it into the dealer for warranty work? Will I be better off with out my catalytic converter performance wise?

Now my local Speed shop says I will have no problem what so ever with out my catalytic converters, please tell me what you think.

Thanks.
jayC1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It will stink. Do you nose a favor and put the race cats on.

That's the only problem I know of. Power wise, race cats are more or less no change. But the smell without on some cars will be quite annoying.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
In this day and age, what part of North America will allow any car to run without cats? I think you better double check that because that car would be illegal pretty much anywhere else in the northern hemisphere!!! As for your warranty, kiss it good bye. With out the cats your engine needs a custom tune. With a custom tune your power train warranty is gone. You still have the rest of the regular bumper to bumper warranty though.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
In this day and age, what part of North America will allow any car to run without cats? I think you better double check that because that car would be illegal pretty much anywhere else in the northern hemisphere!!! As for your warranty, kiss it good bye. With out the cats your engine needs a custom tune. With a custom tune your power train warranty is gone. You still have the rest of the regular bumper to bumper warranty though.
Correct! Tune = powertrain warranty breach if they catch it. Who cares about the exhaust warranty so no problem there...Good luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC1974 View Post
My local speed shop here in Arkansas is telling me that there will be no problem just deleting my catalytic converter. My set up I am going for is Kooks Long tube headers with a Corsa exhaust and Hypertech Tune. Now of course the headers with no catalytic converter are way less money but im worried about my warranty. I live in a state that emissions is not a problem so deleting the cats would be no problem for that. My questions are.

What are the pros and cons of deleting my catalytic converter? Will I have a problem setting my Tune back to stock if I have to take it into the dealer for warranty work? Will I be better off with out my catalytic converter performance wise?

Now my local Speed shop says I will have no problem what so ever with out my catalytic converters, please tell me what you think.

Thanks.
Deleting cat's is against federal law even if your area doesn't do emissions testing and if you are caught you will face a hefty fine (around $5,000 iirc). Your car will not pass inspection if the inspector puts it on a lift like they are suppose to and depending on the inspection station your vin may be reported to the state and to the feds as driving without cats.

Your car will stink and smell like rotten eggs inside and out all the time. Do you really want peoples first comment to be "Man this car stinks." as they walk away holding their nose?

Do yourself a favor and get some headers with hi-flow cat's. On the Camaro, there is no performance difference between no cat's and hi-flow cat's.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
BSPOT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
my big beef with taking my factory cats off was the smell. i dont know if your camaro is your daily driver - mine is. I had them off for a month or 2 but then installed high flow cats - still tripped a check engine light - but got it turned off. Smell is gone, exhaust tone is "cleaner", and to be honest I think theres a little more pick up with the slight restriction from the high flows.
BSPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
PM me your local speed shop. I live in Maumelle and know most of the guys around here.

If I were you, i'd opt for the hi flow cats. There's really no reason not too except for price. No we don't have yearly testing but you can be tested at any time, if i'm not mistaken. Power wise, there is no difference between hi flows and nothing.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
design

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to design Send a message via MSN to design Send a message via Yahoo to design
I've been running without cats for 2 months now. No "stink" to report.

To those in doubt, I can assure you they do not test or even care if you have cats in Arkansas.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
with mine tuned right.. not much stink.. a little racecar richness at startup but thats sexy! and the cats are restrictive as all get out. I gained 18whp with the ADMPerformance.com offroad downpipes. :-) I LOVE not having my cats but prepare for the ROAR!