Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #99
freefallin2005

Drives: 2017 rally yellow ss
well with all these problems, i bought my 11 ss last sept and still have only 900 miles on it. Im wndering if i should just replace the oil pump now with a quality one so i dont have this issue. I will be doing a cam and supercharger install in january........
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #100
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin2005 View Post
well with all these problems, i bought my 11 ss last sept and still have only 900 miles on it. Im wndering if i should just replace the oil pump now with a quality one so i dont have this issue. I will be doing a cam and supercharger install in january........

Do it when you have it apart for the cam install. No sense on doing it now. I hope your fear of a broken oil pump isnt the reason you only have 900 miles on your car. The sky is not falling, drive and enjoy your car.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 08-31-2012 at 07:52 PM.
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #101
freefallin2005

Drives: 2017 rally yellow ss
No lol, i have been deployed and not able to drive. Home now and time to put some mileage before the northeast weather comes knocking
freefallin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #102
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I roll-backed my camaro to my dealer, with labor day weekend, they just got on it yesterday. First step, mechanical guage at the port next to the oil filter. Sure as heck, no oil pressure, failed oil pump. I always thought oil pump failures were the result of mainly oil contamination. I'll let you know how deep in my pocket this will be after I get a quote sometime today.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #103
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You would think in this day and age the car would just shut down on it's own for this type of problem. We have old safety controls on compressors that shut it down on low pressure.

My wife would ignore it or not even notice it until the motor was locked up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #104
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
I roll-backed my camaro to my dealer, with labor day weekend, they just got on it yesterday. First step, mechanical guage at the port next to the oil filter. Sure as heck, no oil pressure, failed oil pump. I always thought oil pump failures were the result of mainly oil contamination. I'll let you know how deep in my pocket this will be after I get a quote sometime today.
If you would like me to check your warranty information, please send me your VIN and mileage. We certainly apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #105
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
If you would like me to check your warranty information, please send me your VIN and mileage. We certainly apologize for the frustrations you may be experiencing.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Well thanks Brandon, can't hurt...... the mileage is 11,425 on the VIN #2G1FT1EW5A9125421

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #106
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

1200.00 to fix, and the dealer will stand behind it if they put on a GM performance part, higher volume oil pump. I told em to go ahead, that is probably what should have came on our camaro's anyway.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #107
jay11

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSoul308 View Post
My 2010 2SS is pretty much a daily driver. Only has 9,532 miles and I haven't driven it in the last two days. This morning I started her up and after about 5 secs the DIC showed " LOW OIL PRESSURE, TURN OF ENGINE!"

Had it towed to the dealer, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The car still starts/drives, just throws that code and the oil pressure gauge reads all the way left (zero).

I checked the oil, it had plenty of oil too.

Thanks in advance for your input everyone.

Its ur oil pump! I have had 2 fail since April. The second one i just bought a melling pump and put it in myself. Tired of dealing with stock parts that fail and a dealer that takes 2 weeks to change a OIL PUMP. hahah
jay11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #108
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

11,425 miles and a stuck relief valve was the death sentence for a LS3 oil pump part number 12556436. I 'd be glad to send it to GM and have them send me half the money I spent getting my dealer to replace it with a better one. I have nothing but praise for my dealer, Herndon Chevrolet. This was not my fault a oil pump failed and it certainly was not my dealers, one thing was definate.... another stock pump was not going back in. GM performance Part # 17801830 is a high flow pump that the the dealer would stand behind whereas with the Melling, 10296, I'd be on my own, again.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-17801830/

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F

Last edited by tjbusa; 09-11-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #109
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Quote:
11,425 miles and a stuck relief valve was the death sentence for a LS3 oil pump part number 12556436. I 'd be glad to send it to GM and have them send me half the money I spent getting my dealer to replace it with a better one. I have nothing but praise for my dealer, Herndon Chevrolet. This was not my fault a oil pump failed and it certainly was not my dealers, one thing was definate.... another stock pump was not going back in. GM performance Part # 17801830 is a high flow pump that the the dealer would stand behind whereas with the Melling, 10296, I'd be on my own, again.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-17801830/
So I assume your dealer did not cover the pump failure because your car was modded. Has Brandon got back to you with any info about covering the replacement?
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #110
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post
So I assume your dealer did not cover the pump failure because your car was modded. Has Brandon got back to you with any info about covering the replacement?
That would be true, Brandon PM'd me but I don't believe he has any pull to get GM to do anything unless enough pumps fail to where they'd have to do something.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #111
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
1200.00 to fix, and the dealer will stand behind it if they put on a GM performance part, higher volume oil pump. I told em to go ahead, that is probably what should have came on our camaro's anyway.
like i said in other threads. any pump can fail. i would bet if they put those pumps on, there would still be failures. maybe less though. if that makes you feel better
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #112
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Yea..... anything mechanical will eventualy fail.

I just expected a little more out of a stock LS3 oil pump ( see post 108).

I noticed GM does not use this 12556436 in their ZL1, hmmmm. I've got to praise GM now for the fact of their great DIC warning system, without that, I might be replacing the whole motor instead of just the pump.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
W T F