Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
PFC_Wilcox

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I'm running 38mm all the way around so I can rotate them, but you have to be careful. I calculated this offset with other tires in mind so they would tuck as far in as posible and then bought these Goodyears at the last second. The sidewall on these Goodyears bulges out way more than the tires I planned on running so I'm having to use a small 5 mm spacer up front.

I'm either going with different tires when these wear our or I may just buy coilovers and get the extra clearance with those.

I'm also lowered about 1.5".
Do you think a 20-25mm offset would work? I want to run the same all around and run 275/35R18 BFGoodrich gforce comp 2 tires.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC_Wilcox View Post
Do you think a 20-25mm offset would work? I want to run the same all around and run 275/35R18 BFGoodrich gforce comp 2 tires.
They will poke out a bit. I would stick with a 35 mm offset if you are going to run a 275 tire. Also, you do realize that a 275/35 18 tire is only 25.6" tall, right? Your car will look very goofy with those tiny tires. You can lower it to help the fender gap, but the over 3" shorter tires will lower your car 1.5" already. Lowering it even more to minimize the giant fender gap you will have will make the car too low and you will scrape everywhere. Ask me how I know.

This is the reason I got rid of my 26" tires and stepped up to 27" tires. I'm used to driving very low cars but the 1.5" drop from the wheels and the 1.5" drop from the lowering springs was just too much for even me.

Last edited by SUX2BU; 09-09-2013 at 06:06 PM.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
PFC_Wilcox

Quote:
They will poke out a bit. I would stick with a 35 mm offset if you are going to run a 275 tire. Also, you do realize that a 275/35 18 tire is only 25.6" tall, right? Your car will look very goofy with those tiny tires. You can lower it to help the fender gap, but the over 3" shorter tires will lower your car 1.5" already. Lowering it even more to minimize the giant fender gap you will have will make the car too low and you will scrape everywhere. Ask me how I know.

This is the reason I got rid of my 26" tires and stepped up to 27" tires. I'm used to driving very low cars but the 1.5" drop from the wheels and the 1.5" drop from the lowering springs was just too much for even me.
Sorry I looked at the wrong size. 275/40ZR18 bfg g-force sport comp-2 tires. Will that be better. And I am going to upgrade the suspension to the stage 5 pfadt coilovers. I don't really mind if they will stick out a little bit.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Sorry I looked at the wrong size. 275/40ZR18 bfg g-force sport comp-2 tires. Will that be better. And I am going to upgrade the suspension to the stage 5 pfadt coilovers. I don't really mind if they will stick out a little bit.
Yeah, those are about 26.75. A lot better, but still have to get used to driving a very low car after you drop it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
PFC_Wilcox

Quote:
Yeah, those are about 26.75. A lot better, but still have to get used to driving a very low car after you drop it.
Do I have to shave the hubs to fit 18's? If so I think I'll just stick with the 19x10 +25mm Enkei RPF1 wheel's and run the 275/40 or 35ZR19 tires. I will be running it on the autobahn and the Nurburgring in Germany next year.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
If your looking to do any AutoX dont get the BFG G-Force Comp II. They suck for that. Great on the street but can't take the punishment of the heavy cars cornering. We have four of us in my local SCCA who got the same tire and we are having wear issues. I have severe cupping or feathering on my SS and so does one of the V6 guys. I am running the Pedders Race alignment so that contributes. I'm looking at the F1 or BFG Rival next. Really liking the Rivals but trying to fiure out sizing and wheel needs first.
Sux2BU, that price you quoted for your setup, was that for wheels and tires? If so, where? I'd like to go square also but thinking of only dropping to 19X10. I've been following this thread so thx for your input.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i was thinking about getting a similar set up over the winter for next season. i plan on hitting some auto-x and HPDE type events. probably gonna stick with 18" wheels and some nice sticky tires since they are just gonna be for track duty. i think ill either go with 18" f14's or 18" Nurbergrings...depends on the cost vs weight situation. and ill probably end up with somewhere in the 275 to 295 area Nitto NT05's.

Last edited by Denis; 09-11-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Do I have to shave the hubs to fit 18's? If so I think I'll just stick with the 19x10 +25mm Enkei RPF1 wheel's and run the 275/40 or 35ZR19 tires. I will be running it on the autobahn and the Nurburgring in Germany next year.
It depends on the offset and width. I outlined when you would have to grind and when you wouldn't in this thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
If your looking to do any AutoX dont get the BFG G-Force Comp II. They suck for that. Great on the street but can't take the punishment of the heavy cars cornering. We have four of us in my local SCCA who got the same tire and we are having wear issues. I have severe cupping or feathering on my SS and so does one of the V6 guys. I am running the Pedders Race alignment so that contributes. I'm looking at the F1 or BFG Rival next. Really liking the Rivals but trying to fiure out sizing and wheel needs first.
Sux2BU, that price you quoted for your setup, was that for wheels and tires? If so, where? I'd like to go square also but thinking of only dropping to 19X10. I've been following this thread so thx for your input.
Yes, that was wheels and tires. I got my wheels from Nineball on here (DV8motoring.com) and I got my tires from Discount Tire (they price matched am online price I found).

Wheel/tire thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237217

Tire price thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216800

The good thing about going down to 18s is that the tire choice is insane and the prices drop drastically. 19s aren't anywhere near as common as 18s do the tire selection and price is more in line with 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
i was thinking about getting a similar set up over the winter for next season. i plan on hitting some auto-x and HPDE type events. probably gonna stick with 18" wheels and some nice sticky tires since they are just gonna be for track duty. i think ill either go with 18" f14's or 18" Nurbergrings...depends on the cost vs weight situation.
I was looking at the same wheels for my car. The Nurburgrings are cheaper, but don't come in the wide selection of widths and any offset you want, so I went with the Forgestar F14s. The weight difference is negligible, they are both super light
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
These guys have the Enkei RPF1 in the 19x10 witih 25mm offset for the best price I could find:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-362...er-wheels.aspx

Name:  WheelPrice.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  17.4 KB

I just did a track day with these wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 275/40-19 and they performed flawlessly. The Michelin's stick out a bit; about 1/2 an inch in the front (fit perfectly in the back) because it's such a wide design tire but there were no rubbing issues, and I have mine lowered 1.5" with Pedders coilovers.

Even if you just get a set of these as a track set, the price is really good for such a light wheel (20 lbs) in this size. Overall diameter of the tire is 27.7" so it does lower the car about 1" lower than stock but it doesn't lower the car too much.

If you order from them make sure you tell them what car you're putting them on and ask for the correct size centering rings. These wheels also include the very nice Enkei Racing center caps.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
PFC_Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
These guys have the Enkei RPF1 in the 19x10 witih 25mm offset for the best price I could find:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-362...er-wheels.aspx

Attachment 555013

I just did a track day with these wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 275/40-19 and they performed flawlessly. The Michelin's stick out a bit; about 1/2 an inch in the front (fit perfectly in the back) because it's such a wide design tire but there were no rubbing issues, and I have mine lowered 1.5" with Pedders coilovers.

Even if you just get a set of these as a track set, the price is really good for such a light wheel (20 lbs) in this size. Overall diameter of the tire is 27.7" so it does lower the car about 1" lower than stock but it doesn't lower the car too much.

If you order from them make sure you tell them what car you're putting them on and ask for the correct size centering rings. These wheels also include the very nice Enkei Racing center caps.
You make very good and sound arguments Doc. Sounds like I'm stikkin with you on this one. I really appreciate the assistance guys.

Check my build thread out to see what comes next. I might need your help again. I'll update on here and on the build thread when I finally purchase and install my wheels.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315315
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #25
Milkdudd

Drives: Saturn XR V6
How about the 19's that will be on the new Z28? Should be available from Chevy. Anyone know price?
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #26
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkdudd View Post
How about the 19's that will be on the new Z28? Should be available from Chevy. Anyone know price?
Through the roof like ZL1/1LE rims. The ones Doc posted aren't too bad looking. I'd prefer black. I'm sure thats an option just didn't search. I'm pleasently suprised at how affordable the F-14's are. Still think I will stick with 19X10 although there is a strong argument for 18X10. I too am lowerd 1.5" so I'd be worried about scraping. Thank you everybody for the advise and sorry OP for jumping in.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
You might consider splitting your $$$ between less expensive, heavier wheels and a set of 3.91 gears. The gearing increase will far out weigh wheels that (well) weigh more.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #28
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
For racing setups, I always recommend customers decide exactly which tire they want to run first. It is easier to build a wheel around a tire. It isn't as easy to buy wheels and then go hunting for the correct tire and size.

The Forgestar 19s are $1550/set, still lower priced than the Enkei wheels mentioned. Both are rotary forged wheels, light weight.

If you want lighter, you'd need to go with a true forged monoblock wheel. Those are the lightest of the light. They are also stronger, should you have an "ooops" and go off track. Forged wheels bend on impact, cast wheels shatter. I know which I'd rather have.

Tony