Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Danable88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS
Axle back question.

So i was wondering, does an Axle back system show any performance gains or is if pretty much just to change sound and looks?

Danable88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danable88 View Post
So i was wondering, does an Axle back system show any performance gains or is if pretty much just to change sound and looks?
Not really. The mufflers are at the end of the line and don't have much effect on exhaust flow. The performance factor comes into play when evacuating exhaust from the engine. High flow cats and headers are going to do that for you. Changing anything behind the factory cats will net minimal gain if any. The cats are the biggest choke point in the system.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Pretty much sound and looks.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Not really. The mufflers are at the end of the line and don't have much effect on exhaust flow. The performance factor comes into play when evacuating exhaust from the engine. High flow cats and headers are going to do that for you. Changing anything behind the factory cats will net minimal gain if any. The cats are the biggest choke point in the system.
Concur... Cats are where the majority of the restriction resides. For performance (and some cleaner sound), change your cats to High Flow Cats or Catless (of course, check local laws for compliance).
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
No power but some weight loss helps. The originals are hefty.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword5 View Post
No power but some weight loss helps. The originals are hefty.
This.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Danable88

Changing the cats needs to be cut and welded correct?

Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danable88 View Post
Changing the cats needs to be cut and welded correct?
I don't believe so. I know that companies like Solo and JBA make direct fit that just bolt on the manifold and slip-fit to the exhaust pipe. Check some vendor websites.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
Danable88

Im looking right now, and it looks very expensive lol. It makes me wish the axle backs made a difference because the gibson axle back system is only 300 bucks.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
Dark_Horse

Drives: Black 2015 2LS, Teal 1991 RS
If the car you have is the 2015 2ls under your avatar then you would need either high flow or catless down pipes. The LFX engine has "exhaust manifolds" built in to the heads. There is a square flange that the exhaust bolts to on each head and that's it. Even with high flow or catless down pipes there isn't a huge power gain until you also install a cold air intake and a tune. Most of the time you're just saving weight over the stock system and changing the sound.
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Danable88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
If the car you have is the 2015 2ls under your avatar then you would need either high flow or catless down pipes. The LFX engine has "exhaust manifolds" built in to the heads. There is a square flange that the exhaust bolts to on each head and that's it. Even with high flow or catless down pipes there isn't a huge power gain until you also install a cold air intake and a tune. Most of the time you're just saving weight over the stock system and changing the sound.
that is my car, is there a cost effective way to do this? because money isnt something i have a lot of, i know most of the time you get what you pay for, but that still doesnt mean i want to find an inexpensive way to go about this.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
Spec
Account Suspended

No cuts or welds needed to change out the cats. On the LS3, each cat has two bolts that connect to the exhaust manifolds, and there's a clip that attaches them that you loosen for the catback end.

I bought the JBA's and they were around 300 bucks. Most noticeable power increase next to the tune, in my book.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
Danable88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
No cuts or welds needed to change out the cats. On the LS3, each cat has two bolts that connect to the exhaust manifolds, and there's a clip that attaches them that you loosen for the catback end.

I bought the JBA's and they were around 300 bucks. Most noticeable power increase next to the tune, in my book.

oh wow, if they make that for the lfx i would definitely order them.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

SOLO makes them for the LFX, not sure if JBA does or not;