Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Cody2399

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS, 2004 Dodge Ram 150
winter storage

Hey all I just recently moved to oregon, and boy is the weather here a whole lot different than cali.

Because of this I'm gonna have to park my camaro because I have no driving experience in the snow ice etc.
My question is how do I keep like mice and other little critters out of my car. Our new house has a big shed but no garage so I'm parked in a closed space with let's say the "garage door" being open. Since there is no door.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Well, at least it's covered. Don't know how much snow you'll get in OR, but make sure your "shed" roof is sturdy enough to carry the extra load.

I commend you for your smart and responsible acknowledgement that you are not experienced in driving in snow - hence, parking it for the winter. Maybe you'll gain enough experience this winter to feel comfortable driving it next year.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Drives: Camaro
I have heard moth balls, dryer sheet?, maybe some posion around the shed.
Keeping the area clean seems to help, less areas to nest around your car.

Buddy would litter the floor underneath his car with moth balls said it helped.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Steel wool in exhaust pipes/wheel chocks (don't leave parking brake on)/CTEK MUS 4.3 battery maintainer.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #5
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
to add to the above

do an oil change before storage, stab-il in the gas tank and a nice car cover
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
Also use a good battery tender for battery health. would not hurt to start 1 time per month as you have open door.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
What part of Oregon?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsaterz28 View Post
Also use a good battery tender for battery health. would not hurt to start 1 time per month as you have open door.
If its on a battery tender I wouldn't start it. If you don't let the car warm up properly you stand the chance of having condensation issues and then milky oil.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
to add to the above

do an oil change before storage, stab-il in the gas tank and a nice car cover
Eh, stab-il never really helped me. Unheated garage but the tank is fresh when I park it and I burn it off with some injector cleaner in tank #2.

I leave the old oil in, but park it at 3K miles to keep it lubricated and then change to new oil when I pull it out. It's not going to sit more than 2-3 months. New oil left to sit will just break down and be a waste, having used 3 months of it's shelf life sitting idle in the pan. As for a tender, use the GM recommended inline charger.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsaterz28 View Post
No, no, no. There is absolutely NO reason to start the car during storage. All that does is form condensation in the exhaust and crankcase.

Change the oil, put Sta-Bil in the gas, top off the gas and drive a few miles, hook up the battery tender, put rodent poison all around the garage, and wait for Spring.

If you see activity at the bait, replenish with more poison. In my experience, the mice go for the exterminator's poison before the store bought stuff, so I always call the exterminator.

Before I started baiting, I had mice in the engine bay, the air filter, and the cabin air filter, but never in the exhaust. Mice ate through the injector wire harness on my truck once, too. It was parked outside. However, since I have been baiting inside the garage for the sake of the Camaro, it has solved all mouse problems on the property.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #11
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There is a fantastic sticky at the top of this forum that details this process accurately.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Got my CTEK 4.3

Very nice unit. Detailed owners manual plus several videos on the website. Testing it first on my Tahoe which has been sitting in freezing weather for five days without a start. Hook up is very straightforward (I use the engine block terminal for negative). No spark when plugged in, just as advertised. I run the "cold" program since the cutoff is 41F and it is 35.

Immediately jumps to stage 3, "bulk" charge. Re-check in three hours, it has advanced to stage 4, "absorption" where it slows the charge between 80-100%. 5.5 hours and it's at "float", it's done.

This thing is great. Very glad I spent a few bucks more rather than getting the cheap trickle charger. Save via Amazon if you are interested.

Last edited by Indydriver; 11-25-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
sixtyseven

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT/RS 2017 XL1200C
My situation is similar to yours. My garages don't have front doors.

I rolled up clean rags with some mothballs in them and stuffed the exhaust tips. Moth balls on paper plates in trunk, front and back floors and under hood. Also threw plenty under and around the vehicle. Some dryer sheets too but I don't care for the smell of them

I put a small container of closet dehumidifier inside vehicle. Covered it and hooked up to a battery tender JR. Increased tire pressure to 45psi cold and parked on thick cardboard under each tire. Stabil added to a full tank of fuel. Oh yea I changed the oil and detailed the car just prior to storage.

Edit to add- locks on wheels and a lock on steering wheel also. Parked in a manner behind a small side wall that it wouldn't be easy for a thief to pull out and place on a flat bed. Called ins co and changed any un-necessary coverage while withdrawn from use.

Waiting for spring and thinking about future mods.

Last edited by sixtyseven; 11-25-2014 at 10:54 AM.
sixtyseven is offline   Reply With Quote