Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The first batch needed a reprogramming cause it wasn't very smooth when it made the switch. That was awhile back and I haven't seen one come in for that for a few months. I would be more worried about a gas spike if I were you.

And if any of you remember 81 Cadillacs with the V8-6-4 that was way ahead of its time.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Thanks for the info but gas $ is not a problem Down time is, my dad had the 81-82 Cad 's
I had a 79 TA 4sd Black 400 SE Y84 car had it all T-top and 4WD, So i drive a lot.

VIN 2W87Z9N132057

I got it in FL and drove back to L.A. CA
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
I personally don't like the idea of half of my cylinders not firing (harmonic/vibration issues and extra valvetrain weight/parts) but I am sure GM did A LOT of testing before even putting this technology into their motors.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #18
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
I personally don't like the idea of half of my cylinders not firing (harmonic/vibration issues and extra valvetrain weight/parts) but I am sure GM did A LOT of testing before even putting this technology into their motors.
First the ls3 and l99 are not the same block or heads and valvetrain also the pistons are not the same so think about it for me i will go 6m and ls3.

P.S. What do you thank of the new 6L80.

GTR: Get Transmission Replaced
Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #19
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Oh man, I'm about to blow the lid off my moniker under my avatar with this thread.

AFM. Bought two 2008 work trucks with the 5.3 and the now standard AFM. Being very skeptical, I asked the dealer prior to buying and of course the line goes like this..."Oh you can't tell when you romp on the gas that the engine is switching from V4 to V8". After driving them during the test drive I could not tell a big difference but there WAS a difference.

Most like me, don't really want to "hammer down" during the test drive with the dealer riding shotgun, and more importantly you really don't want to go to extremes with a new vehicle before the break-in period anyway. However, once the break-in is over and you actually get to see what your new ride will do, I fully believe that you will be able to tell the difference when you mash that gas.

Now let's go old school for a minute. I drive daily a 2003 Crew Cab Sierra with the 6.0. Bigger engine, more weight, but with no AFM. You mash it, you get it, plain and simple. Head-to-head with the 5.3 AFM loaded work truck, my non-AFM can be beat.....but not by much. The 5.3 is a shorter truck w/o all the Heavy duty equipment and it SHOULD by all means blow the doors off my HD, but it can't. Why? IMVHO...it's the AFM.

Also, as of today and 5,000 miles into a brand new Yuke with 5.3 AFM, when I go to pass in a hurry b/c some jack@ss doesn't know how to merge onto the interstate, the truck has alot of hesitation in it. The 2005 Yukon did not have that much hesitation, so w/o any doubt in my mind, the AFM is the cause of that hesitation.

Now comes the new generation Camaro with the same technology and I ask why. It's a Camaro. It's not the family sedan. It's not the "Hey, let's load up the family and go on vacation" mini-van. It's a re-style of a very popular CLASSIC HOT ROD. Why does a new Camaro have to have this AFM? After actually experiencing the AFM, the decision to implement it into this car makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Some will probably deduce that it's b/c GM wanted to avoid the gas guzzler tax, or make it more popular with people who want more gas mileage. All that hullaballo makes me want to. You want gas mileage....buy a hybrid! You want a NEW Classic Hot rod, don't sweat the small stuff like the mileage it gets. It's supposed to be a muscle car, a hot rod, a jet car....not a YUGO!

WHEW! Got carried away there, but I feel better.

Bottom line and in line with this thread, the only problem I've found wrong with the AFM is the hesitation in acceleration. Do I like it?....heck NO! Will it save you gas in the long run? Probably so, considering that if that's what you want out of your Camaro (or other GM product) then you will be the one(s) most likely to keep your foot off the pedal anyway, regardless of AFM.

It really remains to be seen what kind of effect that AFM will have on the 5th Gen. Camaro (maybe some of the lucky people that have actually spent some time behind the wheel will weigh in on the subject), but it makes me ponder, What would the car be like without AFM?

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
2SSRS@Gen5diy

AMEN thank you see its not about more gas mileage i drive GMC Yukon Denali XL 6.0l and at $4.15 a gl i spent $900.00 a month in June, July and august so getting a camaro is not for gas mileage its for fun. and work
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just because there were issues 2 years ago on a new design does not mean that same problem will happen with a new engine. In fact, if GM has corrected the problem on those other engines it would be almost impossible for the same problem to occur in the L99. The issue was with the AFM system on the LS series of engines, when its fixed for one its fixed for all.

ZYAL8R, could it have been something to do with the extra 13% displacement? Or the fact that the 5.3 has never been known as a particularly good example of the LS series of engines? As for the fuel economy, what would you rather have, an automatic that gets 14 city, 21 highway or one that gets 15 city, 23 highway? The added cost of the system is minimal.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Tal

Drives: Old
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
Some will probably deduce that it's b/c GM wanted to avoid the gas guzzler tax
The Camaro is really a strong hp/$ value and protecting that value by avoiding the gas guzzler tax is an important competitive advantage. Other than that, it's just waiting to see how it actually performs on the Camaro.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
Some will probably deduce that it's b/c GM wanted to avoid the gas guzzler tax, or make it more popular with people who want more gas mileage. All that hullaballo makes me want to. You want gas mileage....buy a hybrid!
It has nothing to do with GM, and the people who want more gas mileage (for our own good, of course) are these two....
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #24
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
It has nothing to do with GM, and the people who want more gas mileage (for our own good, of course) are these two....
the country wants to lower it's dependence on foreign oil. better gas mileage helps.

the people (country) = want better gas mileage.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #25
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
the country wants to lower it's dependence on foreign oil. better gas mileage helps.

the people (country) = want better gas mileage.
FTW! DRILL ALASKA!!!!
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #26
bowtiedriver

Drives: 2009 WhiteHot G8 Gt
^that's fine, then they should not buy a v8 tire burner. Get a malibu hybrid. If I buy a camaro, corvette, mustake, I would be concerned with performance specs, comforts, etc.... then mileage, but as in a "oh wow, all that power and it still gets XX mpg, cool" kind of way. Mileage would be at the top of my list if i were buying a family or economical car. I wish the media and gov. would stop stereotyping car buyers and lumping them all into the we want more mpg catagory. Put me down for the I want more power category.
bowtiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
modern sports cars need to all things well, what can you do, thats the evolution and progress that people want. Believe it or not, GM isn't building this car just for everyone on Camaro5.com. It has to sell in huge quantities. You wan't a LS7 with an auto and a solid rear end. You can build one, the car will be available with frame, fenders, hood, and decklid w/o any engine, tranny, interior, or suspension.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
modern sports cars need to all things well, what can you do, thats the evolution and progress that people want. Believe it or not, GM isn't building this car just for everyone on Camaro5.com. It has to sell in huge quantities. You wan't a LS7 with an auto and a solid rear end. You can build one, the car will be available with frame, fenders, hood, and decklid w/o any engine, tranny, interior, or suspension.
No it is not available with frame, fenders, hood, and decklid it is for racers only with no VIN# so you can not Register that.