Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Does this "outcome" sound right

Hanging out with a buddy of mine (in Mexico of course) this past Saturday. Just messing around while cruising we did a roll off the light - He is bolt-ons and tune I'm Supercharged, bolt-ons, and tune.

He has a 1SS/RS I have a 2SS/RS - both manuals.

Off the light I had to shift early into second (traction and all) he wound out first. I jumped a car ahead and we shut it down ~70-75 and he was just off my rear bumper.

I'm kinda disappointed since we both agree my car feels like it pulls way harder. I should be putting down ~100rwhp more

Granted this was a short run and I feel like third gear is where I would really pull away, but given the supercharger should I be concerned something is off or did I just need more room to stretch my legs?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
3rd 4th you destroy him
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
May get a few people flame me after this comment but. Sounds like you have a Magnuson supercharger or another PD that is stock pulled. They seem to have a nice kick in the pants taking off but really don't accelerate after that very well. From a dig if you hook the PD are like a jackrabbit but like a jackrabbit run out of steam fairly quick. Swap the pullys out to get 8-9 lbs lbs of boost. The LS PD blowers seem to run good there while keeping the temps down. And the next time you're in Mexico you'll put bus links on your buddy.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
3rd 4th you destroy him
I agree!

What rear wheel/tire do you run?

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
bayarea408

Drives: T
So you botched the launch and shifted early into second and still shot up a car before 80? Sounds about right...

The feel of power in your car will obviously feel more powerful, but what kind of tires do you have to back that up? Feeling powerful and dead hooking with Radials are two different things.

Hit it at the same time from a 60 roll and see what happens.

On the street you have to factor in traction MAJORLY. I have seen extremely powerful cars get dumped street light to street light by much weaker cars merely because none of that power gets transferred through the rubber to the ground.

Spinnin aint winnin, shiftin early and stopping a run at 80 aint helping much either.

Try it again at 60 and count how many cars you put on him before 120. Alot of really powerful street cars like to run from a roll because everyone has traction issues down low.
bayarea408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
209camaross

Drives: 2012 camaro ss ashen gray
You would've destroyed him on 3rd and 4th. Me and my buddy both have l99's, I'm just bolt ons and tune, he's full bolt ons, cammed and zl1 blower. We have raced many times on the freeway for fun, doing a roll from 40 we are both are even for like 5 seconds then his car just starts pulling like a damn freight train and leaves me in the dust. You guys had too short of a race
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
So you botched the launch and shifted early into second and still shot up a car before 80? Sounds about right...

The feel of power in your car will obviously feel more powerful, but what kind of tires do you have to back that up? Feeling powerful and dead hooking with Radials are two different things.

Hit it at the same time from a 60 roll and see what happens.

On the street you have to factor in traction MAJORLY. I have seen extremely powerful cars get dumped street light to street light by much weaker cars merely because none of that power gets transferred through the rubber to the ground.

Spinnin aint winnin, shiftin early and stopping a run at 80 aint helping much either.

Try it again at 60 and count how many cars you put on him before 120. Alot of really powerful street cars like to run from a roll because everyone has traction issues down low.
Lol I use to run with a few guys who were big into the honda scene. Cool guys one had a 350hp 2009 civic si was pretty quick, but he wouldn't ever race anyone from a dig because he'd just spin plus the whole FWD weight transfer thing. Lol in fact he use to wear a shirt a lot that said I <3 JDM that's why I roll and the o in the roll was sushi lol

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have 315/35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports out back on 20x11 ZL1 replica wheels.

I wouldn't say botched the launch more like didn't hit it 100% hard. Yes early shift to second as first gear kinda scares me still lol.

We shut down early cause we're not young and dumb. Granted Mexico was completely empty at the time but we'll save anything higher for track day back in the good old USA =)

Before my supercharger I had the same setup as him and we were basically even,hence my curiosity. I figured the short shift to second coupled with the early shut down was to blame but always like asking second options
Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
A: The race was too short

B: Blowers heat soak like mad on the LS cars...When the cars are being tuned on a dyno the power drops off fast when they get hot. Hero runs are made for #s when they are cooled off.

C: With that said your 100whp delta may only be 60-70whp when the blower is hot.

-Matt