Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Speeddesignz

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS / 1983 Camaro Z-28
My Link....... Likes , Dislikes

Just got a 13 ss . Came equipped with the my link system, My last 2010 ss I had removed the factory radio and replaced it with an Alpine all In one unit. All I can say is that my old Alpine blows this thing away !

It seem Like Chevy had some great ideas, I love the concept of it. But it just works like absolute crap ! Sometimes it just forgets what I had on when the car was shut off. The ipod interface is horrible. Of course it takes forever just to get the Ipod playing. Maybe I can listen to a CD while I wait.. O wait .. no CD player. Sometimes it just forgets to shuffle the Ipod. Really hoping they come up with an update for this unit. Because I am not a fan.
Speeddesignz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
agreed

sluggish when using ipod, and if I'm listening to a song and want more of that artist, takes too much work to get to it....ipod has to reinitialize if it's on when you turn off car....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
What else can I say....Mine doesn't work at all aand my dealership has to install another whole new My Link radio.

Still though the GM version has much potential so they just need time to work out the bugs. Mine shouldn't have left the factory though.
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I think the software app ideas are great, but the hardware is underpowered, and operating system is crap. I am confident that we are stuck with these glitchy units, and GM will only make annual incremental improvements for each next generation.

Compare all that the Mylink NAV does with your smartphone, and you will agree the smartphone is superior in all regards.

Yes I have the 2013 Mylink NAV, and am almost ready to replace it with a far superior home made unit.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Considering design/implementation wasn't even ready when production began, you can't complain much. As long as they keep working to fix it/make it better, I'm happy.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
hello, questions. i was at dealer today, looking at new coupe and verts. i thought that mylink system was cool. i played around with it for an hour get familiar with it. i have not deceided on coupe or vert, but does this mylink play movies? it had an icon for it. i have a samsung galaxy exhibit. i was told the blue tooth would work with it too. but this radio had navigation, and i thought sounded great in the vert. it was a new 2013 on the lot. thanks
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Phorecyte

Drives: Black 1SS/RS 1LE
It looks up local movie times, thats all. MyLink does not play movies. Its actually a feature through XM.
Phorecyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I've done some experimenting on the Ipods. I wiped my 6th gen ipod classic and re-synced it in itunes. Indexes faster now, but still occasionally locks up, but better than it was before. It seems that when it locks up I'm using the steering wheel controls to change tracks or volume, but not 100% confident on that yet. Also seems if you're trying to skip too many songs one after the other it also can lock up. They do need to fix the initialization every time you start the car, that's annoying. Best thing is to unplug it before you turn off the car and plug back in when you start it.

I also purchased a used 64gb ipod touch. This runs the IOS operating system and is also solid state (no drive like the ipod classic). Haven't had much time to play with it yet but so far much better results than the ipod classic.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
mailclerk

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Just got my Camaro outta the delaershop repair shop and with just a little driving and one phone call to XM to refresh my signal all appears to be good! All it needed was a whole new radio/My-Link to get it going.

Now that I can move on and enjoy my Camaro with some decent music and traffic info all I can say is that it's a good set-up still in it's infancy and with continued improvements from the factory it can be a winner!

Mail Clerk
mailclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
kevinw

phorecyte. oh ok, thanks. i was told it would play movies if downloaded to a flash drive and then plugged into car. it would then appear on screen. my 9 yr old son was excited about that. but the car has to be in park i was told to play it. but, i wonder if it will play movies? he , obviously, loves transformers
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
It will not play any video files.

It will display image files but as you noted, only while in park.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
kevinw

ok thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I thought it would play movies too, but all it does is give me a listing of the movies playing in the next county, not even in my own town.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
sam5828

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
phorecyte. oh ok, thanks. i was told it would play movies if downloaded to a flash drive and then plugged into car. it would then appear on screen. my 9 yr old son was excited about that. but the car has to be in park i was told to play it. but, i wonder if it will play movies? he , obviously, loves transformers
Check into gm lockpick. It may be updated for the new radios for this year. Just Google it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
sam5828 is offline   Reply With Quote