Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #71
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vole182 View Post
I remember seeing a video of GM engineers saying they were more focused on getting peoples cell phones to do those types of things. (GPS Nav etc etc) I know that my G1 is going to be a fantastic addition to my Camaro. Charging from the USB port even playing music from the SD card on the phone. Making phone calls using bluetooth and using the phones GPS and Google Maps that get updated in real time to tell me where I am going.

Thinking back I could have summarized all of this by saying "There's an App for that!"

A cell phone large enough to do what a built-in automobile GPS nav/entertainment center can do would be much too large to use as a telephone. A large, easy to read depiction of the road ahead and data base is an important part of the overall benefit of such a device. I'm not sure what cell phone offers anything remotely equivilent. Certainly not the Iphone. It's about half the size required and the current 'app' is woefully deficient. Even a $200 Garmin hand-held is much better than that.

The market for built-in models is still relatively small but it grows each year. Most all upscale cars offer them and, in the last couple years, many, if not all, tend to have them.

I know I won't have another daily driver car without one.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #72
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flighttester View Post
I'm not looking for a race car, remember. Just look at and drive an Audi TT and a Cobalt and you will see that there is more to the comparison than track times, which are essentially irrelevant to me.

I don't need or want a turbocharged four in this car, so only the TT would make the initial cut,since it offers a 3.2 V-6 but, even then it doesn't rank high on my list of potential sportscar candidates. The TT's quattro drive train is more desirable than a FWD car, regardless of any other factors. One thing the Audi is not is a shitbox. I'll let you decide how to spell it. The Chevy, I would call that car's design the textbook definition of the term, even if the SS model is the top-of-the-line version. (I do appreciate that there seems to be no prudish automatic censorship in this forum. Most unusual.)

If I was using this car for strictly spec racing on a track or some such competition task, the little Chevy might actually be worth a look. As a long distance highway cruiser though, it isn't.
yes the name carries more presige and the styling is better on the TT. But that does not make the cobalt a bad car. It is 20,000 dollars cheaper than the TTS. It is an amazing car.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #73
Flighttester

Drives: 2008 Audi A4 3.2 MT S Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
yes the name carries more presige and the styling is better on the TT. But that does not make the cobalt a bad car. It is 20,000 dollars cheaper than the TTS. It is an amazing car.
So is the TT.

But, they are designed for different purposes.

Comfortable, well-equipped efficient, long-distance travel is not the intended mission of the Chevy Cobalt, just as it isn't for the Mazda Miata.

FWD holds no interest for me at all.

Been there, done that. Discovered that there is a much better way to do it.
Flighttester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #74
aosborn

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Imperial Blue
yes, I have not tried it yet, but the onstar CD says you can.
aosborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #75
kamaro68
XXXREME.com

Drives: 1968 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to kamaro68
Exclamation GPS in 2010 Camaro!!!

First, I would like to address the issue on this thread. I found a Metra dash kit (supposedly designed by FESLER). It can be found on many websites for about $269.99, here is a link:

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...hp?it=99-3010s

This allows you to install a single DIN or double DIN radio/GPS unit

Here is a video I found showing the functionality of it:

I am holding out to see if they come out with a factory GPS unit next year for the 2012 models. If not, I will be installing a GPS touch screen with BT in a 10' or 11' model

Secondly, if AUDI is such a great car and & CADILLAC are so inferior; what are you doing on this forum???
kamaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #76
chris@lsrperformance

Drives: 2010 yellow beast
None of the car audio accessory companys have released a install kit or wiring harness yet for the camaro.They normally make a new product after a year of the car being on the market.Hopefully it will be soon.
www.lsrperformance.com
chris@lsrperformance.com
229-245-9045
chris@lsrperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #77
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@lsrperformance View Post
None of the car audio accessory companys have released a install kit or wiring harness yet for the camaro.They normally make a new product after a year of the car being on the market.Hopefully it will be soon.
www.lsrperformance.com
chris@lsrperformance.com
229-245-9045

Install Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88946
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote