Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Won't in the bird in a long while. Took some measurements and turns out I'm only half done with that ass end right now. Probably going to pull it apart again at some point, have the DRIVERS side cut off and rewelded, thus giving a wider rear stance on the car which the passenger side got..

And I like it. 315/275 cruising offset with some 17s.. needs to be done. Oh, and TC on and off on these cars actually lends to the axle really being tamed. Just remembered this how last night I was just farting around and turned it off and on in testing my rear and there is a noticeable difference. Probably more pronounced in V6 cars due to the TC wanting to kill launches across the board.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
- No, he wouldn't. He's got a series II 3800 w/ options. Swallowing my pride here and saying that between my V6 bashing then, and now.. I've actually gained respect for little 6es. Especially when one can out track me on a road course with upgraded suspension.

- I know you can't have TC on to light some rubber. I'm saying if he wants drivability out of a gearset like that which will put a good amount of the 3800's power to the ground in straights and twisties he should probably invest in a TC rear that he can turn it on and off. On prevents it from slipping when you don't want to, off equals super happy fun time.
I do have a TC rear lol I have a 4 channel. And I think you talked me into a Eaton one whenever I decide to get one. I was researching both of them and a lot more people recommened Eaton or Auburn
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetorp View Post
Doesnt a mini spool mean that it is full time posi all the time?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethreat07 View Post
I do have a TC rear lol I have a 4 channel. And I think you talked me into a Eaton one whenever I decide to get one. I was researching both of them and a lot more people recommened Eaton or Auburn
for the price you are looking at (plus installation costs ~$600 on average). you'd be better off buying a slightly used 4 channel rear from a v8 car and swapping it in. at least that you can do for cheap in your driveway.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
insidethreat07

Yea I have been told to go that route too. A guy I know said he would put it in for me and hardly charge me anything. I have been looking atound for 12 bolts in my area and they all are pretty $$$. I just wanted your guys input on this. I'm gonna have to put this project off for a little bit since I'm buying Remys wheels off him.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Yea I have been told to go that route too. A guy I know said he would put it in for me and hardly charge me anything. I have been looking atound for 12 bolts in my area and they all are pretty $$$. I just wanted your guys input on this. I'm gonna have to put this project off for a little bit since I'm buying Remys wheels off him.

you can find a decent mileage v8 rear for around $2-300 if not less. just gotta keep your eyes peeled. plenty of guys swapping them out for 12 bolts, S60's, 9"s etc.

and its really the easiest option. and like I said, you can do the swap yourself if you have some basic hand tools. dont know if you have disc or drum brakes in the rear, but that would be one pont to keep an eye on. Z28 4th gens were disc brake rears, and I know some v6s got drums and others got discs.

if you have drums, you would need to get a set of rear brakes either with the rear or from a junk yard.

hell, you could check out some local junkyards and find the whole thing for $50.00 brakes and all.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you can find a decent mileage v8 rear for around $2-300 if not less. just gotta keep your eyes peeled. plenty of guys swapping them out for 12 bolts, S60's, 9"s etc.

and its really the easiest option. and like I said, you can do the swap yourself if you have some basic hand tools. dont know if you have disc or drum brakes in the rear, but that would be one pont to keep an eye on. Z28 4th gens were disc brake rears, and I know some v6s got drums and others got discs.

if you have drums, you would need to get a set of rear brakes either with the rear or from a junk yard.

hell, you could check out some local junkyards and find the whole thing for $50.00 brakes and all.
Good advice, mine came with disc brakes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Good advice, mine came with disc brakes
that makes it a little easier, the other tricky part... I cant remember if the rear brakes are the same size across the two models or not.

but like I said, go to a junk yard, pull the whole assembly off as one. all you have to do is disconnect the driveshaft, the lower control arms, the shocks and disconnect the brake lines from the calipers and (IIRC) unbolt one or two of the diff cover bolts to remove the crossover line for the brakes. then swap it all to your car. tho if you can get the rear shocks and springs, pick them up as well as I do know that the rear suspension (at least the shocks) are different/better/something.

to pull them, you have to lay the back seat forward, then pull the carpet back and there are two foam "covers" over the top of each of the shocks. pull the foam and unbolt them.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
just say no to drugs!

helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
just say no to drugs!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
If you don't want the 3.42 I told ya about, just let me know. Gonna pitch it if I can't find a buyer within a month.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
insidethreat07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
If you don't want the 3.42 I told ya about, just let me know. Gonna pitch it if I can't find a buyer within a month.
Prob not thanks anyways tho man. If I cant find anything Im prob just gonna end up getting a eaton posi and call it done lol. My project now is buying remys wheels and tires off him

Tags
differential, limites slip, lsd