Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Customers

Through the few ramblings I have posted here, a couple of people have contacted me about my choice of sending my 2010 to Lingenfelter Engineering for the 650 HP upgrade. After answering a couple of questions several times I thought a thread was in order.

Before purchasing my car off the lot I had done some research on engine performance upgrades or "super cars" as some vendors like to call them. I follow the collector car market somewhat and the right package from the right vendor can add considerable value to what can be construed as a future collectible. Case in point, Yenko or Shelby.
Due to this fact, I would only consider a notable player who had been in the field for some time.

After researching some of the more major players (outside of internet forums) I settled on Lingenfelter. I have had personal contact with 2 owners who have had cars done by them and both could not say enough about there experiences. Lingenfelter has been around a long time, +30 years. Even after John Lingenfelter's untimely death, the company has thrived. This is a major concern if you are planning on keeping a car that has been modified like this.

One other thing I noticed to be true of Lingenfelter is many owners who have had one car worked by them have gone on to a second or third car. I think this says a lot for them, probably more that I ever could!
Lingenfelter seems to pretty much specialize in GM cars, primarily the vettes. I think if any car could be compared to the 2010 Camaro, it is the C6 Corvettes. This to is important as all work on these new model year cars is uncharted territory.

Common sense told me the internals needed upgrading. Forged parts, worked heads, valves, etc. If I wasn't willing to upgrade these parts, then one might have as well just bolt on a 150+ HP nitrous kit. That would be the cheapest way to more horses "on demand" and if one coughs the motor, at that point you can replace the internals.

To me the car is for weekend fun once in a while. My 2008 C6 Roadster has never seen rain, snow, or salt and never will. Although I am not as concerned about rain with the Camaro, it will not see snow or salt ever.
As far as hard core track play, it's all about 1320 foot times. A tire and wheel change at the track should be the ticket for traction, although I have already began discussion on wheel hop with Lingenfelter. To think I would ever visit Road America or some other road race course with the Camaro seems far fetched. A total stock vette would make it look silly due to engineering or weight issues.

The Camaro was, and hopefully will be, know as American Muscle. Brutally fast off the line and more horse power than is needed!

I do have some concerns with the transmission (auto). This is the most uncharted territory as the car weighs more than 800 heavier than like powered Corvettes. The stick car never even entered my mind. I have driven enough trucks, cranes, etc. in Chicago traffic to know that's way more work than what I want during "relaxation" time. On Lingenfelter's recommendation, I contacted RPM Transmission www.rpmtransmissions.com/ and opted to upgrade the clutches. They are presently working on developing a mid shaft for the trans but I didn't want to wait.

I am expecting on having my car back within 2 weeks so I will post performance information and likes or dislikes as they become available. Until then I welcome any one's questions.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
RS-SS2

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 09 mini, 01 3500
Windy City, I to have sent my car to LPE after about 6 weeks of research. I have a similar angle with the elder super cars. There is a calculated chance that these cars may become collectibles in the future. That being said I believe the 2010 in stock form has plenty of power, awe and just plain ole fun factor. I sent my car to LPE to make it special and I believe it will be.

I plan on driving it once a week either to work or a joy ride on the weekend. I don't believe i will ever take it to the track but some occasional street fun every once in a while will be good for me. I am slated for the 570hp pkg and after talking with a couple of members here i may opt for the 650pkg.
RS-SS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
There is no doubt that Lingenfelter is one of the top notch tuners in the business. The only issue that many people have when trying to decide on Lingenfelter is the price tag that comes along with this reputation and quality of service. Never to say you dont get what you pay for, just some dont have the extra ching to drop on these upper shelf tuners.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Miles Finch

Drives: 2010 Camaro Cyber Gray
For your information, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering filed for bankruptcy a couple of years ago. This was when Tom Cress was the General Manager. Tom no longer works at LPE. A very wealthy car enthusiast named Ken Lingenfelter (same last name but no relation to John) was able to buy the company out of bankruptcy and seems to have helped them fix their cash flow issues.
Miles Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
There is no doubt that Lingenfelter is one of the top notch tuners in the business. The only issue that many people have when trying to decide on Lingenfelter is the price tag that comes along with this reputation and quality of service. Never to say you dont get what you pay for, just some dont have the extra ching to drop on these upper shelf tuners.
I agree whole heartedly. There is no magic bullet. You get what you pay for with an honest, sincere vendor. As a business owner, I spend a great deal of time and money verifying the vendors I use will live up to there expectations. This being said, you do have to look out for the "not so sincere" vendors.
Also one has to be honest with one's self, on how much money he wants to put into a toy.
I think others here can contribute to the fact that "he who writes the biggest check goes the fastest". It is pretty much this way with everything. Baseball, football, racing, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Finch View Post
For your information, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering filed for bankruptcy a couple of years ago. This was when Tom Cress was the General Manager. Tom no longer works at LPE. A very wealthy car enthusiast named Ken Lingenfelter (same last name but no relation to John) was able to buy the company out of bankruptcy and seems to have helped them fix their cash flow issues.
WOW, thanks, there is information I didn't know. This makes me feel even better!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
The 650hp package will probably be my upgrade for next year - maybe. I can tell you from experience the workmanship of LPE in my current Camaro. This car runs great and doesn't feel like it is stressed at all - like it came from the factory like this. I was playing around with the G-Tech tonight and after a few runs, my best was a 12.2 @ 120 and 4.3 0-60. I am practicing so I can get my launches down and maybe hit close to this time or better at the track in a few weeks - stock tires too.

Windy - I can't wait to see your car done and look forward to the results!!
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
What does LPE charge for a TVS install? What does their kit have that a kit direct from Magnacharger doesn't have?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
What does LPE charge for a TVS install? What does their kit have that a kit direct from Magnacharger doesn't have?
Lingenfelter's pricing is here: http://www.lingenfelter.com/engine-p...aro-gen-5-2010
Each package is listed with the pricing and what is included.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post

Windy - I can't wait to see your car done and look forward to the results!!
Speed, still smilin?
I'm hoping to have it back just in time for the cool heavy air! The right wheel tire combination, maybe some rear suspension tweakin, and I should be able to beat the times down.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I and my family have had atleast 8 vettes done by them...great shop
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Windy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
I and my family have had at least 8 vettes done by them...great shop
And out of 8, have you had any trouble? Which has the most miles on it and how many would that be?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
And out of 8, have you had any trouble? Which has the most miles on it and how many would that be?
hmmm I havent never had any trouble of my 2 of the 8..I know one of the C5's has well over 100,000 miles I dont know about the others..but nothing besides putting some slicks on once and breaking the tranny...lol..but that was our fault
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Speed, still smilin?
I'm hoping to have it back just in time for the cool heavy air! The right wheel tire combination, maybe some rear suspension tweakin, and I should be able to beat the times down.
I may look like the Joker - if I stay like this.

I really like the idea of forged internals and the other things you are doing with your build. I will be watching your build - should be awesome
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote