Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
nitrorcr1787

Drives: 2012 2SS
I almost always downshift to stop/slow. Helps the breaks stay a little longer!!! Do the same with my Harley...
nitrorcr1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
Cap'n Pete

Drives: '02 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
Ok...since we're talking manual/stick shift, are people still downshifting (i.e. engine breaking) these days or have brakes come along enough it's not necessary. ... It seems like alot of people aren't engine breaking these days? Is it because they're lazy or is it now "not" the thing to do?
The brakes will slow the car FAR better than the engine, any day of the week, so there's no need to using engine "braking" (ie: in a panic stop). If anything, in a panic stop, BOTH FEET IN (brakes and clutch).

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with engine braking, to assist with slowing down gradually, or maintaining your speed on a downhill, etc. Or in traffic, when it's constant stop-and-go, I'll often stay in a lower gear so that I'm not "coasting" into the cars in front of me.

Taking advantage of engine braking is still perfectly fine and useful. If you've been driving manual for years, I wouldn't change what you're doing . But like I said, you don't need to rely on the engine to help slow you down.
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
In the long run you will have to replace the cluth anyway. Instead of at 100k miles you might have to replace it at 80k mi. Either way don't worry about it, they're built to be tough. My rule is if you can't smell it and can't hear a grind then you're not hurting it.
I've never had to replace a clutch in my life. one car had 212k, another 193k and still going, and another 163k and still going. unless you abuse it, you should never need to replace it. I can't say exactly what it would cost, being as I've never replaced one, but I'm guessing a clutch job on a camaro is probably going to set you back 2-3k.

to the op, just practice. with all the synchronizers and everything in modern transmissions it's just a matter of getting your timing down. the transmission, even in a manual, still does most of the work.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
Dr.Manhattan

Drives: Camaro
I would smell the burning after doing reverse for the first few months after I bought it. I figured this was pretty much normal for high end clutches getting broken in. Don't fret too much dude, takes sometime. From what I gather these are the same clutches they have been using in the Corvettes for sometime, so they should be bulletproof.
Dr.Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
BLU BY U
'69 Camaro's Rule

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
Ok...since we're talking manual/stick shift, are people still downshifting (i.e. engine breaking) these days or have brakes come along enough it's not necessary. I have been driving stick since my first car, and only had one automatic vehicle in my life (my truck I just traded in on my new camaro). It seems like alot of people aren't engine breaking these days? Is it because they're lazy or is it now "not" the thing to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorcr1787 View Post
I almost always downshift to stop/slow. Helps the breaks stay a little longer!!! Do the same with my Harley...
I downshift every now, and then (at low rpm's). I figure brake pads are easier to change than (engine parts, clutch parts,etc.)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
BLU BY U
'69 Camaro's Rule

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
I would smell the burning after doing reverse for the first few months after I bought it. I figured this was pretty much normal for high end clutches getting broken in. Don't fret too much dude, takes sometime. From what I gather these are the same clutches they have been using in the Corvettes for sometime, so they should be bulletproof.
Not normal...sounds like you were slipping it.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
The clutches in these cars are pretty tough, I burned mine a few times learning to do a brake stand (forgot to turn off TC). It still works fine.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
310Driver
John

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I love the smell of burnt clutch in the morning! Smells like......victory! Lol
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Some noise is perfectly normal. Took me a little while to get used to the camaro since i changed from a old BMW to a new car. If you hear a loud clank when you depress the clutch at low speeds its normal. The camaros have a very vocal transmission as i like to say. Probably not the best car to learn on but you will get the hang of it. I have been driving stick for about 3 years now and i am pretty good at it. Barely even stall now.

But to answers another question i usually drive around in sixth or fifth depends where i am at in town. When i am about to come to a stop sign or light i go down a gear and let go of the throttle once i have changed and don't put the car into natural till I'm about to stop. Basically right before i know the car doesn't want to be in that gear anymore.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
FresnoStateDogs

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
My car often smells like burning but that's because I drive it hard, burn tire, and accelerate hard. There's a reason why I drive a fast car. I have noticed after a long circuit going 120mph+ my clutch begins to stick. Once I let the RPM's drop to ~1k it un-sticks. Maybe I should take it easier on her?

Spiral Ported TB, K&N Typhoon, JBA Performance Cat-back, RX catch can and Oil Breather.
FresnoStateDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
nah man. this car was built to be driven if i had roads where i oculd get up over 120 i would do it every chance i got
Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
relax, keep your foot off the clutch after shifting, use N at stop lights, foot off the clutch......you'll get the hang of launching from a stop.
Definitely agree! When stopped at a light or sitting in heavy traffic, shift into neutral and take your foot off of the clutch.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #27
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rex View Post
nah man. this car was built to be driven if i had a race track where i oculd get up over 120 i would do it every chance i got
Fixed it for you
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
You're doing fine, no worries.