Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
steering wheel position and M6

i am tall at 6'6" and own a manual. usually when i am shifting i have my left hand on the top of the steering wheel, but i've only had my car 1 month and keep moving the seat and steering wheel around to try and get this position comfortable.

it seems like i am constantly reaching for the top of the steering wheel. i'm really not reaching, but i have to lift the top part of my back off of the seat and it is slightly less comfortable than what i was used to in my 4th gen. problem is if i move the backrest up, my head gets closer to the roof. and if i move the whole seat up, my right knee gets closer to the AC control on the dash.

anyone ever noticed this before? did you get used to it, find a way around it, or just change how you hold the wheel while shifting? i'd imagine this would only apply to tall people with manuals. with an auto i would not put my hand on the top of the steering wheel i don't think. and yes, i've got the steering wheel telescoped out as far as it can go (which really isn't that far).
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You know I don't remember? lol I sometimes hold the bottom while cruising the highway. I think I just hold it on the sides where the bumps are. The worst is when someone moves the seat. I hope the next version adds memory seats.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
I'm 6'7". I wish it telescoped more. Seat is fairly upright, head close to liner, hand on top of wheel. Comfortable.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
jandaseve

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1SS/RS Hurst
I wish it tilted up just a little more than it does. Im not as tall as you guys, but even at 6'2" it seems there barely enough clearance for my knees
jandaseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
I'm 6'7". I wish it telescoped more. Seat is fairly upright, head close to liner, hand on top of wheel. Comfortable.
do you sit the same way every time in the car? sometimes i slouch and sometimes i sit straight up. when i sit straight up my slouching positioning of the seat means my head hit the liner. but when i set the seat comfortable for the upright position, i'm too far away. d'oh.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
do you sit the same way every time in the car? sometimes i slouch and sometimes i sit straight up. when i sit straight up my slouching positioning of the seat means my head hit the liner. but when i set the seat comfortable for the upright position, i'm too far away. d'oh.
Yep, same way all the time. Very little slouching. Seat base is positioned all the back and down as low as it will go. Back of seat is about 15-20 degrees from vertical. Do you have a factory roof? If so, that is probably the issue. The headliner is lower. I test drove both. Also, I had the car for about 1 month when I heard something "pop" in the seat. A week later my back was killing me and I could not find a comfortable position. Took to dealer, said ok. I knew it wasn't. I unzipped the back rest cover and found 3 of the horizontal "springs" had unhooked. Bent the hooks and attached. No more back pain and no issues since. I have a 36.5" inseam and weigh 245lb, which may make us physically different. Btw, when the helmet is on, there is NO comfortable position and the 2-3 shift sometimes gets goofed.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Maybe try a different shifter. I'm 6'1" but I'm a stick. I have a Hurst short throw shifter and although I've never used a stock shifter, I'd imagine its easier than stock (more comfortable).
Old 11-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I'm also 6' 6'. I'm not sure if driving a manual has anything to do with the habit of placing ones hand on top of the steering wheel. I drive auto and also generally steer one handed, gripping the top with the left hand, and rest my right on the arm rest or near the auto shifter. If I'm in steady moving busier hwy traffic and at speed, I do double grip the wheel at ten and two. This position seems appropriate for being prepared for the reactions of other drivers, in the flow, so to speak as well my own reactions. My seat positioning sounds familiar to your description. The telescopic pulled all the way out and tilted up. Its nice and comfy there....Oh! and I have the sunroof. Once again I don't see why there would be any difference whether stick or auto. I've owned and driven manuals in the identical fashion. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
LewiSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/White Stripe
I'm 6'8 and it is pretty comfortable! Alot better than on a mustang where my knee is in the dash with the seat as far back as it will go. I have just played with it til I found the perfect spot for me.
ARH 1-7/8" Longtubes w/cats, Borla ATAK catback, CAI Inc intake, RX inferno orange ported throttle body, RX inferno orange catch can, Hurst Shifter, JDP Motorsports heater hoses and fuel line, PFadt strut tower brace, PFadt lowering springs, PFadt Tie Rods, PFadt Trailing Arms, PFadt end links, Custom Painted interior pieces.
LewiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
3Camaros
Camaro x 3

Drives: Black 2SS RS M6
6’ (well I was once) Seat down low (A good size bump that jams your neck only needs happen once to learn this one), knees slightly bent when the clutch is all the way down, one hand on top of the wheel most of the time. Now if I could just get the shifter knob about 2 or 3 inches closer it would be perfect for that 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th shift. And I vote for memory positions for the seat, my oldest son is 5’5” and my youngest is 6’3”.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Witchdoctor92

Drives: 2012 1SS Black with white rally str
I'm 5'9" I fit just fine. You should be shorter. That would fix it. This is the only time it is good to be short.
Witchdoctor92 is offline   Reply With Quote