Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #71
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
Called the other day and I swear I was talking to Erick 'the Midget' (actor), at least sounded just like him
VT2CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #72
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
It's only drastic if you A: perceive it and B: care.

I grew up with transistor radios, audio cassettes, summertime interference, and big mountains.

Hence, it all sounds high-quality to me, and if it comes in at all, with no static or fading, it's already earned some points.

Are you a musician, by some chance?
I guess the difference between a digital 480p television signal and 1080p signal is only drastic if you A: perceive it and B: care.

I grew up with analog over the air TV and big mountains.

Hence, all tv looks high-quality to me. My 480p signal has no static, so it must be as good as watching a blu-ray.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #73
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Hence, all tv looks high-quality to me. My 480p signal has no static, so it must be as good as watching a blu-ray.
Yep (even if you're being sarcastic)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #74
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Yep (even if you're being sarcastic)
Well if you honestly can't discern the difference between 480p and 1080p, then I will never convince you that XM sounds much worse than CDs or even MP3s.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #75
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Well if you honestly can't discern the difference between 480p and 1080p, then I will never convince you that XM sounds much worse than CDs or even MP3s.
What you'll never convince me of is that difference is enough to care about.

Now, giving me tiny paperback print instead of larger hardbound print. There's something to get fired up about.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #76
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
I do think what you grow up with colors your perception. For instance, growing up with 3 static-y channels for tv, dvd has a perfect image to me. Not switching to Blu-Ray until I have to. I honestly can't tell that much difference, while I'm sure some people re-bought their entire dvd library the day it came out.

Edit to add: Does ANY form of radio have better quality? Is this a drawback of radio itself, or XM?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #77
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
I do think what you grow up with colors your perception. For instance, growing up with 3 static-y channels for tv, dvd has a perfect image to me. Not switching to Blu-Ray until I have to. I honestly can't tell that much difference, while I'm sure some people re-bought their entire dvd library the day it came out.

Edit to add: Does ANY form of radio have better quality? Is this a drawback of radio itself, or XM?
I've never had/used HD radio, but it's supposed to sound better (assuming the source radio station has good equipment). XM's poor sound quality isn't a limitation of XM. It's a choice they have made. Satellite radio used to sound good. But they have decided to add all sorts of content to attract more people. The satellite has a finite amount of bandwidth, so every time they add a new channel or new data service (i.e. traffic, weather, news, etc...) they have to cut another channel or compress another channel even more. Every time they compress a channel, it sounds worse. This is the same problem that satellite TV faces. But they tend to roll out new equipment every few years, which allows them to switch compression technologies. That's not as easy to do with radios that are built into cars.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #78
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post

I don't like the sound quality of XM anywhere Near the quality of a regular FM channel that is coming on a good signal. If I listen to a CD and then put the XM on, I can't believe how bad the XM sounds. I do however for whatever reason thing that Sirius sounds much better than XM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #79
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Damn I hope people see this post and do not overlook it......

Yesterday I get a Bill for 85 bucks from XM I am like WTF???
about 2 months ago when they shut my subscription off my wife calls me so i call XM because previously i had set it up for them to hit my credit card and to keep the service going.... they somehow didn't enter it even though it was the second time I gave them ALL of my info including credit card info.... at that point they offered me 6 months on both cars for a total of 85 bucks including taxes... i gave them my credit card and figured i didnt have to worry about this for 6 more months.... last night i called them and they said they didnt have my credit card info to bill me...... seriously I had previously given them the card number 3 times and about to give it a 4th time.
the guy was a total assbag too and refused to let me talk to a supervisor. I will not be suprized if I have to call them again to give them my credit card info a 5th time..
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #80
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
I traded my Solstice in, and had time remaining on my subscription. It was supposed to be transfered, and I thought it was until my XM went dead after 90 days. Seems the buyer of my Solstice got 3 months free service at my expense. Funny, I never got a renewal or sign up message from them. Biggest bunch of screw-ups I have ever seen. (No, I have not experienced Comcast, they could not possibly be worse!)
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #81
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Ironhead...Maybe those foreign XM operators tranfered your money to the Taliban.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #82
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I just talked to a lady at corporate and now have her direct contact info, if anyone needs a direct line here it is

call 1-866-610-6195 hit option #3 then ask for Hilda..... very nice lady and she wont mess up.

you can thank me later