Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
bad azz z/28

Drives: '94 Camaro Z/28 1LE
After 85 years of USA Made, Craftsman hand tools now Chinese

I did a search and didnt notice any mention of this, so I figured I should post up. Apparently Craftsman hand tools are switching to Chinese manufacture.

I found out yesterday from a tool forum. I know they have been selling imported supplies and larger items for years, but the hand tool line has been synonymous with Made in USA, and since they have other tool lines, I never thought they would ruin the Craftsman line.

To me this undercuts what I have spent decades buying into as part of their warranty, as they will no longer be able to back up the products I've bought with an acceptable replacement.

Its also very underhanded how they plan to take advantage of everyones assumption that Craftsman = USA. They have apparently been subtly removing Made in USA off packaging on US made tools so that as the switch rolls out, it will be even harder to notice. The tools will come in the same basic shape (although as the link below shows, thicker to make up for lesser quality steel, rougher finishing quality and less gear lube), with the same packaging part numbers and price. It doesnt look to be stamped with its new country of origin, they just removed the USA and leave you to assume its the same tool you have been buying for 85 years.

Just thought everyone should know. To me, its an absolute deal breaker. I only support American made tools.

For more pix/info:
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126875
bad azz z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I agree, what a let down. I guess I wont be considering craftsman as top of the line anymore....
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That is a shame. Unfortunately the alternative was for Sears to drop the Craftsman name all together when companies like Kobalt, Stanley, and Skill have moved off shore years ago and were selling for less. Kobalt I believe is 100% built in China.

With shrinking revenues and rising costs coupled with people with less discretionary income, you either lower your prices to stay competitive or your go out of business.

And I am not pointing at any party - but our "leaders" are not particularly business freindly either. With the tax laws, employee benefits issues, environmental concerns, noise emmission (ever been a mile or so from a forge? LOUD) particulate emmission standards, OSHA, Workers Compensation Laws... raised taxes both local and federal - how can we compete with China/Mexico?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
That's unfortunate to hear. I always liked the Craftsman warranty and wonder if they will keep that philosophy now.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
bad azz z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
That is a shame. Unfortunately the alternative was for Sears to drop the Craftsman name all together when companies like Kobalt, Stanley, and Skill have moved off shore years ago and were selling for less. Kobalt I believe is 100% built in China.

With shrinking revenues and rising costs coupled with people with less discretionary income, you either lower your prices to stay competitive or your go out of business.

And I am not pointing at any party - but our "leaders" are not particularly business freindly either. With the tax laws, employee benefits issues, environmental concerns, noise emmission (ever been a mile or so from a forge? LOUD) particulate emmission standards, OSHA, Workers Compensation Laws... raised taxes both local and federal - how can we compete with China/Mexico?
Without getting political, I agree that policies at the top have caused a lot of problems. That said, I wont let sears off the hook for the following:

1. ruining a trusted American brand
2. sneaking chinese goods in under the guise of American made
3. charging American prices without supporting American business

Personally, Id rather see the Craftsman line die than sell out, but my agenda is different from theirs and I understand that. However, we dont know their monetary situation. They could easily be profitable, but not extremely profitable, and are willing to trade long term business for the quick buck. They also could have taken any of the following steps instead:

1. increase the visibility of their lower tool lines as harbor freight has, in order to compete on multiple price points
2. market the difference in the quality of their products more effectively
3. modify their warranty requirements to cut down on losses due to improper use or the common practice of finding old estate sale tools, damaging, returning for new etc
3. been honest to the tool buying community about their intentions and direction
Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
bad azz z/28

I havent fully checked this site out yet, but it came up on another forum, providing a list of USA tool manufacturers:
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

And for contacting customer service at Craftsman:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155_12602_NB_CScontactus

Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
SUCKS!

does that include the 'professional' line of craftsman?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Might as well just go to Harbor Freight tools from now on.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Muscle SS
All blackkk

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Did we all forget our cars are made in Canadia? How can we call craftsman a sellout while on a forum for cars that were outsourced to Canadia?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
bad azz z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
Did we all forget our cars are made in Canadia? How can we call craftsman a sellout while on a forum for cars that were outsourced to Canadia?

Canada and the US are bordering countries with similar wages, standards of living, shared resources and economic interests. None of the same can be said about China. Also, GM doesnt hide where the vehicle is made or lead you to believe you are getting something you arent receiving.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad azz z/28 View Post
Canada and the US are bordering countries with similar wages, standards of living, shared resources and economic interests. None of the same can be said about China. Also, GM doesnt hide where the vehicle is made or lead you to believe you are getting something you arent receiving.
This really is a moot point. The majority of the components and material for vehicles doesn't come from Canada or the US. The vehicle is assembled utilizing outsourced materials.

The US and the World is really in an odd ball situation regarding global economics. While many would like and need the manufacturing jobs the Chinese produce, the standard of living would be considered unbearable to the average US citizen. Not because it's hard or demanding work but because the pay would have to be commensurate with that of a Chinese worker, which is very little. Why does it work for them? They haven't been fully indoctrinated with material goods and services like American consumers (although they are exploding in this fashion). So their paycheck goes to the essential needs for the family, forgoing things we take granted for everyday.

So, trying to bring back the jobs while still adhering to child labor laws, mandated overtime, insurance and other neccessary elements of a post modern society is very hard to do unless you're ok with paying $1000 for a pair of sneakers.

Also, regarding the environmental aspect. The major cities and industrial complexes in China have the air quality of a wood stove burning wet wood. Not good.

Last edited by ColdCamaroSS; 01-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
bad azz z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
This really is a moot point. The majority of the components and material for vehicles doesn't come from Canada or the US. The vehicle is assembled utilizing outsourced materials.

Really in an odd ball situation regarding global economics. While many would like and need the manufacturing jobs that produces Chinese goods, the standard of living would be considered unbearable to the average US citizen. Not because it's hard or demanding work but because the pay would have to be commensurate with that of s Chinese worker, which is very little. Why do it work for them? They haven't been fully indoctrinated with material goods and services like American consumers (although they are exploding in this fashion). So they're paycheck goes to the essential needs for the family, forgoing things we take granted for everyday.

So, trying to bring back the jobs while still adhering to child labor laws, mandated overtime, insurance and other neccessary elements of a post modern society is very hard to do unless you're ok with paying $1000 for a pair of sneakers.

Also, regarding the environmental aspect. The major cities and industrial complexes of China have the air quality of a wood stove burning wet wood. Not good.
That supports what Im trying to say. That the US and Canada hold their employment, environmental and living standards much higher, and some are keeping as much of the labor and profit as they can domestic. Unfortunately consumers have put a premium on quantity over quality. But I feel we should support any company still fighting the good fight against tough odds.

On a macroeconomic scale, I feel our government has failed us for 50 years on protecting our businesses and forcing them into these situations, but thats not something Im trying to get into on here because that is a moot point.

But you have to make a stand somewhere, and I for one would rather have less material goods but feel good about where they came from, so all I can do is my small part to support that stance.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad azz z/28 View Post

But you have to make a stand somewhere, and I for one would rather have less material goods but feel good about where they came from, so all I can do is my small part to support that stance.
Good message.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
Id rather Canada then china everything's made in china now it's horrible
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote