Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
zkattac

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS Camaro
94 octane E-30? E85

This might be a stupid question, but I have a gas station in my city that has e-85
And on the gas pump it also has 86 with unleaded above it, then 90 with E-10 above it, then 92 with E-20 above it, then 94 with E-30 above it. Then of course E-85 to the far right of those with a yellow pump handle.

My question is am I able to put the 94 in my stock Camaro? I asked the attendant but he didn't seem to know for sure himself. Any help?
zkattac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Yes 94 is fine! Wiish I could find 94 here, the e-30 means it has 30% ethanol. most stations here in Chicagoland have about 10-15 ethanol in 92-93 octane last time i paid attention to that. We are starting to see more and more ethanol lately in most of our fuels. The 92 octane is also fine. Stay away from the E-85. Your computer and engine are not really designed for that gas unless you have done some modifications and tuning. I can't even find that here, that appears to be an all ethanol fuel.
However, if you have been using 92 all along and now want to start using 94, there are some people on this forum that swear that doing a fuse pull for several hours will wake your computer up and allow the car to take better advantage of the higher octane. there is a separate thread on that, it's easy. Not necessary, but something to consider when you have a chance. It does seem to wake the thing up a bit.

Last edited by lawdog; 11-23-2014 at 03:07 AM.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I wouldn't put anything in my car with more than 10% ethanol. the car isn't designed for it. read your owners manual.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
lawdog

Yeah I don't like the ethanol either too much but I don't know how we are going to get around the fact that most stations are forcing it on us here in the Chicagoland area. I hear out west they like more of it cause they feel it cuts down on emissions and I am not sure if that's really accurate either when you throw mpg into the mix while talking about emissions.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Yeah, we've got "blender pumps" in Minnesota, too. Even more prevalent in the rural areas.

I don't run more than E10 in my car. If you want to run E30, I would recommend getting tuned for it. I'm tempted to get an E85 tune, except it would be a pain if I decided to drive too far away.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Yeah I don't like the ethanol either too much but I don't know how we are going to get around the fact that most stations are forcing it on us here in the Chicagoland...
Vote Republican!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Yeah I don't like the ethanol either too much but I don't know how we are going to get around the fact that most stations are forcing it on us here in the Chicagoland area. I hear out west they like more of it cause they feel it cuts down on emissions and I am not sure if that's really accurate either when you throw mpg into the mix while talking about emissions.

it's not the stations that are forcing it on you. refiners are required to use X number of gallons of ethanol annually, and that amount goes up every year. and because it's a fixed number of gallons, as opposed to a percentage of gas produced, it's starting to cause problems. that's because the amounts of gas used/produced in the US has been dropping ever since 2008. so in order to meet their gallon requirements for ethanol they have to put it in everything, and even that isn't enough anymore as your starting to see E15 blends showing up.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
lawdog

I agree with what your saying but actually According to the report i just saw America is pumping more now then it ever did and if this pipeline gets approved and done, it's going to be a whole new ball game for the Saudis and Venezuela.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
I make my own "race gas" for my supercharged Camaro. I have 80 gallon pickup tank, put in 15 gallons of E85 and top it it off with 91. It should be around 94-95 oc. Runs good in my car!
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
The greater the ethanol content, the more fuel that needs to be used. Make certain afr and logs are good. May need a tune to adjust. Others have used greater than e10, so it seems the components can handle the greater ethanol content.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Yeah, we've got "blender pumps" in Minnesota, too. Even more prevalent in the rural areas.

I don't run more than E10 in my car. If you want to run E30, I would recommend getting tuned for it. I'm tempted to get an E85 tune, except it would be a pain if I decided to drive too far away.
Do a flex fuel sensor install and tune. Run any fuel you wish without a re tune.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
cornfield camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
The greater the ethanol content, the more fuel that needs to be used. Make certain afr and logs are good. May need a tune to adjust. Others have used greater than e10, so it seems the components can handle the greater ethanol content.
I'm an expert on ethanol! While others just blindly hate the stuff. i love it! I have a afr guage and a big fuel pump set up to run it!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
cornfield camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The mileage was cut approximately in half when Indy cars switched from gasoline to methanol. They did it for safety, methanol can be diluted with water. They are now running ethanol, for marketing, with about the same MPGs as methanol.

If ethanol was really less expensive to use don't you think every racing series would burn it?
I highly doubt the indy cars care what the heck fuel costs! Neither does Nascar. Aren't we talking performance? Lets compare the price of E85 to race gas per gallon. And you don't buy race gas to get good mileage. Plus race gas doesn't have the intake cooling effect ethanol or highly corrosive methanol has.

Tags
94octane, camaro, e-30, e30, e85