Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Supercharger Installation

Trying to get some feedback on supercharger installation in the DMV area. I have received PM's from a few local shops like tandtperformance and Race Proven motorsports in DE to name a few and they are very helpful and have had nothing but good feedback from the shops but I would like to hear from some owners in the area that have added superchargers at local shops.

I am looking at the TVS2300 Maggie set-up and have been very impressed buy Livernois in MI. that offers a good price, and in some cases cheaper than the local shops I've heard from including the shipping costs.

I think the main reason I am leaning towards this shop is because of the overwhealming good responses I have heard from their customers on this forum about their builds and reputation.

I would like to have my car built locally for several reasons, i.e if something goes wrong it would be more conveinent to fix, local economy, helping smaller shops, but I haven't really heard any feedback from owners with this type of supercharger addition from local shops.

So please if there are owners out there that have added superchargers please give some feedback on your experencies with local shops and some idea of pricing.

I would prefer to have this work done locally but don't really want to gamble with a $7000-$8000 modification.

Thanks for your responses in advance.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
trsc1970 or Tim at T&T performance in Frederick. I met him at a meet and liked the work he had done on his camaro. To tell you the truth he probably has one of the few legit shops in the area that do work on cars hahaha. I think were supposed to have are December's meet at his shop you should come and check out his work.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKev View Post
trsc1970 or Tim at T&T performance in Frederick. I met him at a meet and liked the work he had done on his camaro. To tell you the truth he probably has one of the few legit shops in the area that do work on cars hahaha. I think were supposed to have are December's meet at his shop you should come and check out his work.
Yeah I have spoken to them before regarding this issue and he invited me to the November open house but I could not make it. I will definitely try to get to the next open house.
But I still want to hear from owners that have used local shops for superchargers. I don't think these shops are out to rip me off but I need some first hand information on their work and track record from customers not just people from the shops.

Thanks for your feedback, are you thinking about this type of mod and looking at tandt?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
RoyalKev

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Personally I wont to forced induction so soon maybe later down the road, Im actually contemplating even modding the camaro as Im looking for a 5.0 foxbody to make into a drag car but If I do get exhaust and headers T&T is gonna do it for me.
RoyalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #5
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Seen tandt work and it is very professional
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
The installation isnt he part you need to really worry about its the TUNE. How many forced induction vehicles have these local shops tuned? We have tuned over 2k LSX vehicles with probably 800 of them being forced induction.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
The installation isnt he part you need to really worry about its the TUNE. How many forced induction vehicles have these local shops tuned? We have tuned over 2k LSX vehicles with probably 800 of them being forced induction.
That is exactly what I have been hearing from everyone; the install is very easy but the tune is everything! Since I am new to forced induction I know nothing about this stuff but that part seems common sense also.

I still am a bit concerned that I haven't heard from any actual owners that have had this type of work done by shops in this area. Is this something that people in the DMV are not big on adding S/C's or is it that they are not getting their cars done locally?

I got your PM Frans96ss and sent a response and I do plan on seeing your shop soon.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
That is exactly what I have been hearing from everyone; the install is very easy but the tune is everything! Since I am new to forced induction I know nothing about this stuff but that part seems common sense also.

I still am a bit concerned that I haven't heard from any actual owners that have had this type of work done by shops in this area. Is this something that people in the DMV are not big on adding S/C's or is it that they are not getting their cars done locally?

I got your PM Frans96ss and sent a response and I do plan on seeing your shop soon.

I went with Lingenfelter.
Lingenfelter 550 HP TVS2300 Supercharger Package, Hennessey CAI, Pedders Extreme XA Drag Package and Sway Bars (waiting to take delivery) Painted gills, stripe, and bow ties, tinted windows to 30%, smoked lights, Orange headlight/fog light halos, NOWEEDS, and GMPP Exhaust
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LLJumper View Post
I went with Lingenfelter.
Why them? Was it becasue you could not find a local shop to do your install that you trusted or got a good price from? Or maybe price was not an issue from you and you wanted what you considered the best.

Please let me know your reasoning?

Thanks for the feedback and I hope others will join you, you are the first person locally I have heard from with this modification....other than the 2 or 3that went with Livernois.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
Why them? Was it becasue you could not find a local shop to do your install that you trusted or got a good price from? Or maybe price was not an issue from you and you wanted what you considered the best.

Please let me know your reasoning?

Thanks for the feedback and I hope others will join you, you are the first person locally I have heard from with this modification....other than the 2 or 3that went with Livernois.
t and t will also do the tune.onsite dyno so you can see results
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by promod55 View Post
t and t will also do the tune.onsite dyno so you can see results
Have they done this type of S/C installation work to your car? I see you have a 2010 camaro, what mods have you done?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
jpetro
JPetro

Drives: 02 Sunfire
Having a SC done locally may sound like a good idea and I can just about guarantee it will be cheaper, But, what good is cheaper and having a shop close to do the work when you have to take it every couple of weeks, or more, to get re-tuned. A good tune job should last and there should be no reason to be going back for constant fixes. How much will you save if your car has to be tied up for two days while the guy tries to figure out what is wrong, especially if its your D&D. How much gas and excessive wear on your engine are you willing to put up with.
I have 3 places in mind where I am going to have the work done. The closet one is about 2.5 hours away I am getting a charger, exhaust and suspension work that will run me between 12 and $13,000, you might be only getting a charger done but the point is the same its a lot of money to give to the local and maybe very nice guy who said that he can do it for less and knows a buddy where he can get the dyno done. Take the time and just look at his place and decide if its a performance shop or a garage. Its more than if he'll get your seats dirty its how serious he takes his business. A good shop will not only be clean it will also be well equipped. There should be no reason to take your car anywhere else to have anything done including the tune and/or dyno. He should be willing, proud, to show you the different awards and trophies customers have give him for the great job he has done on their cars. Does you charger need to be installed by a certified tech in order to get the warranty. Speaking of warranty the minute he turns a nut to put on that charger he is voiding your GM warranty, so will he be willing to guarantee his work and any damage that might occur if something goes wrong. Remember if something should go wrong your not only talking about the charger you maybe face with a totally shot engine or computer. There is also the risk that it might brake down while you are driving it which may be a safety hazard.
I definitely agree its the tune that is by far the most important thing. Just about anybody can follow directions and put it together, its the art of the tune that will in the end putting that smile on your face. And yes it is an art that only comes from studying, training and experience, and that is what you are paying for. I buy a product based on research, and I am sure you did the same, so why not hire the person to do the work the same way.

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
jpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpetro View Post
Having a SC done locally may sound like a good idea and I can just about guarantee it will be cheaper, But, what good is cheaper and having a shop close to do the work when you have to take it every couple of weeks, or more, to get re-tuned. A good tune job should last and there should be no reason to be going back for constant fixes. How much will you save if your car has to be tied up for two days while the guy tries to figure out what is wrong, especially if its your D&D. How much gas and excessive wear on your engine are you willing to put up with.
I have 3 places in mind where I am going to have the work done. The closet one is about 2.5 hours away I am getting a charger, exhaust and suspension work that will run me between 12 and $13,000, you might be only getting a charger done but the point is the same its a lot of money to give to the local and maybe very nice guy who said that he can do it for less and knows a buddy where he can get the dyno done. Take the time and just look at his place and decide if its a performance shop or a garage. Its more than if he'll get your seats dirty its how serious he takes his business. A good shop will not only be clean it will also be well equipped. There should be no reason to take your car anywhere else to have anything done including the tune and/or dyno. He should be willing, proud, to show you the different awards and trophies customers have give him for the great job he has done on their cars. Does you charger need to be installed by a certified tech in order to get the warranty. Speaking of warranty the minute he turns a nut to put on that charger he is voiding your GM warranty, so will he be willing to guarantee his work and any damage that might occur if something goes wrong. Remember if something should go wrong your not only talking about the charger you maybe face with a totally shot engine or computer. There is also the risk that it might brake down while you are driving it which may be a safety hazard.
I definitely agree its the tune that is by far the most important thing. Just about anybody can follow directions and put it together, its the art of the tune that will in the end putting that smile on your face. And yes it is an art that only comes from studying, training and experience, and that is what you are paying for. I buy a product based on research, and I am sure you did the same, so why not hire the person to do the work the same way.

I agree. We try to keep our shop cleaner than most dealerships. We wrap all the cars in pastic and if they are dirty we wash them before and after working on them. Here is a pic of our shop just so you get an idea.

jpetro you are not far from us at all. Feel free to stop by or give me a call if you are interested in having some work done.

Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
NTGILTY

Drives: 06 GTO, 2010 2SS/RS RJT, 2008 G8
RPM is awesome. I would go back to them if i lived anywhere on the east coast. Fran and the guys know their stuff and they will be doing any kind of tune for the camaro ans also they did my GTO as well and are doing more work on it this winter. Best shop in my opinion anywhere around here. And its tax free..cant get anybetter than that.

2008 Pontiac G8-Stock

2006 Pontiac GTO- Procharged,Cammed,Kooks,Corsa,Pedders Suspension, Intake manifold and TB work,Meth injection. 600RWHP
NTGILTY is offline   Reply With Quote