Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #29
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
This afterburner effect is a great thing. I also like the idea of doing the sequencing with afterburner lenses. If a person had a little investing capital I bet they could get a company that makes aftermarket lenses to build these using the LEDs that have less heat and bright light. Product liability is huge. That is why these Camaro's cost so much. Half the cost is in engineering and liability testing.

I am not an attorney but I think there is an issue with the SAE certification of the lenses and how many lumens are produced. Imagine this (particularly in California)...you have an accident, rearended, not your fault! Someone in our litigious society claims they can't see your taillights because they were modified outside of factory specs., the court determines the lumens were decreased and wham... your liable even though they rear ended you! That is how it works in many states now.

I am not trying to discredit the DIY projects or creativity. But I am very cautious when it comes to modifying "safety equipment" which is what lighting and signals are. Please don't flame me...I am not really a party pooper, I just don't want good people to have bad things happen to them!

BTW... 13 years ago I was a member of the NSRA Safety Inspection Team when I owned a streetrod.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #30
Double G
Houston Boy

Drives: Inferno Orange V6 2010 Camaro
looks legit glad the work payed off
Double G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #31
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I understand your concern, In the trade that i work There is no limit on Product liability, Thanks to the northridge earthquake, It use to be 10 yrs But as you know with attorney willing to do any thing that they can for there client that rule is gone.

If some one make this it is only for "off road use only" and not meant to be driven on highway, Till it is taken for DOT approval.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #32
rangerchevy
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '10 ABM 1SS, '10 Silverado 4x4
Send a message via AIM to rangerchevy Send a message via Skype™ to rangerchevy
Looks awesome!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #33
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
If you could make a kit, it would really sell like hot cakes, hope someone can come up with that kit! Really cool project!
OVERPAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #34
jordan 572

Drives: none
Good job but I must be the only one that would never do this. The part that you cut on the inside is not smooth looking and not the same size as the opposite side light. Just looks not right to me.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #35
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
your camaro on the home page man http://www.camaro5.com/
good work
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM   #36
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Here is the end result.

This is probably gonna sound like the most retarted question you will hear, and I don't want you to get mad IF I made you realize you did too much work. But in that photo those like half circle shapes where the light isn't shinning through couldn't you just block off or paint black to get the after burner effect on the inside of that housing? Or i might just be the stupidest guy on the forum
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #37
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
Good job but I must be the only one that would never do this. The part that you cut on the inside is not smooth looking and not the same size as the opposite side light. Just looks not right to me.
Its the lighting the two sides are the same size, I made molds of the inside parts so i know there the same, From the molds the parts inside where made, The part's are then sanded and panted I think what you see is the cell phone camera pics are not that good.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #38
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
This afterburner effect is a great thing. I also like the idea of doing the sequencing with afterburner lenses. If a person had a little investing capital I bet they could get a company that makes aftermarket lenses to build these using the LEDs that have less heat and bright light. Product liability is huge. That is why these Camaro's cost so much. Half the cost is in engineering and liability testing.

I am not an attorney but I think there is an issue with the SAE certification of the lenses and how many lumens are produced. Imagine this (particularly in California)...you have an accident, rearended, not your fault! Someone in our litigious society claims they can't see your taillights because they were modified outside of factory specs., the court determines the lumens were decreased and wham... your liable even though they rear ended you! That is how it works in many states now.

I am not trying to discredit the DIY projects or creativity. But I am very cautious when it comes to modifying "safety equipment" which is what lighting and signals are. Please don't flame me...I am not really a party pooper, I just don't want good people to have bad things happen to them!

BTW... 13 years ago I was a member of the NSRA Safety Inspection Team when I owned a streetrod.
I dont think anyone would flame you for pointing out (and in a helpful way) a potential hazard.. If anything, it should keep inspiring us to progress until it does pass NTS safety standards.
Looks like this fella is WAY ON the right track!!
Im gonna go get some lenses right now as a matter of fact!!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #39
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
very cool
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #40
kidddogbites

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS(not Z28)
Can you plaese show me how to dothat on an 01 ss?
kidddogbites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #41
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
Hopefully you or someone will do an affordable casting that we can plug and play, for me.....not a chance. Not messing up my Camaro when it arrives. Love the look though!
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #42
Panick

Drives: Pontiac Sunfire
The only way I could see you improving on that is if it pulsed and flared like a true afterburner.

Helluva' job my man! Helluva' job!!!
Panick is offline   Reply With Quote