Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
TBailey

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS / 1LE
EXHAUST HELP... I can't take it anymore!!!!

I'm looking to change just my axle back, I currently have the 3" flow master outlaw cat back along with 2" stainless works headers and hi flo cats along with a ton of other mods.... My exhaust was perfect for me before I got all my other mods, now it's just to loud and drones on the high way bad! So I'm looki g for input on a good axle back with a strong note and not much drone, any input or recommendation's would help.

Thanks guys
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
You'll have to listen to the many exhaust videos in the sticky and make your decision. You're the only one that knows what you like. A big cam will make the quietest exhaust quite loud, especially in 3in. If you like the tone of what you have now, i'd suggest a resonated X pipe to quiet it some and a set of J-pipes to cancel out the drone. Don't know of many mufflers in 3in that wouldn't drone besides the Dynomax VT. Corsa and Borla are suppose to be better with drone but not sure how they are in 3in. The Dynomax VT is built to not drone, without sacrificing flow, so i'd be confident in that it won't, even in 3in.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Helmholz/J pipes. Using these you can literally tune out any drone in your system for a lot less than getting something new.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Helmholz/J pipes. Using these you can literally tune out any drone in your system for a lot less than getting something new.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Just go with Stainless Works. I have the catback and it has zero drone on highway, plus you already have the headers as well, so will match nicely. I have the headers back as well and it's perfect.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
TBailey

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS / 1LE
I really like the sound just not on the highway cruising at 65 the drone is going to drive me insane. I will look into that dynomax VT. And I'm not sure I know much about these j pipes?? I'll try to post a idle video
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Not sure if this helps but after my mods of supercharger, cam and headers with cat delete, my exhaust was just obnoxious at all speeds. Now mind you this is a Corsa and was just right before the changes. So I started experimenting with the exhaust. I cut a section out of the pipe in the tunnel and installed a Magnaflow ex-pipe type muffler. I had left the Corsa ex-pipe in place and the combination of the two made the exhaust at idle sound wispy, which I did not like. So I had the old stock exhaust laying around, so I cut out the resonators and installed them in place of the Magnaflow. That took care of the wispy sound, the idle note is quite a bit louder but the sound on the highway is very tolerable. So there ARE situations where Corsa's will drone. In order to get the sound you want I think it is necessary to be able to experiment. No commercial exhaust will be perfect (at least for me), but I can now live with what I have and it sounds good.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back will not drone. Here is what it sounds like with headers.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
OP, if you want ZERO drone go with Corsa!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
I'm looking to change just my axle back, I currently have the 3" flow master outlaw cat back along with 2" stainless works headers and hi flo cats along with a ton of other mods.... My exhaust was perfect for me before I got all my other mods, now it's just to loud and drones on the high way bad! So I'm looki g for input on a good axle back with a strong note and not much drone, any input or recommendation's would help.

Thanks guys
Chances are that you will have to do a full catback unless you just pick up some mufflers and do a custom setup. As far as I know, Flowmaster is the only ones who offer an axle back in 3". Not to mention, others may not follow the exact same route as FM so it ma end up crooked.

I suggest picking up a few Magnaflow mufflers and having them welded in by an exhaust shop or picking out a new cat-back and selling off your FM catback.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBailey View Post
I really like the sound just not on the highway cruising at 65 the drone is going to drive me insane. I will look into that dynomax VT. And I'm not sure I know much about these j pipes?? I'll try to post a idle video
Helmholtz tubes (J-pipes)

No need to post a video. Most here know what you're talking about. Drone is drone and having a big cam, big ass headers, and HFC's will drone damn near anything.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Yeah the J pipes work. I have shorties, hiflows and outlaw axelback. No drone with the J pipes. To tame some sound the maganflow resonated x pipe does that, about 35-40% I'm estimating with my setup, but is deeper and no raspy or high pitched, sounds good. I have pics of the j pipes and where they are wilded with the outlaw axelback in my build thread " Meet Blackbees big brother, VR bARON"
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Zero drone, and damn near stock sound when cruising highway with the Solo Mach XL
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post

+1 works like a charm.

Solo Sells the Adjustable J's individually or a GOOD exhaust shop should be able to fab some, but I would just give Solo a ring.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote