Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #127
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
OK all don't flame me. What can I say, I was bored at work so a co-worker and I thought we would see just how easy it was to get out of the trunk of my car. Well guess what? It is hard as hell!

I'm 5' 10" and it was virtually impossible to get into the trunk not to mention the fact that I was so cramped I could not move. Unless this woman was put in the trunk back first there was no way for her to position herself to pull the trunk release on the trunk. If she was put in there head first she wouldn't be able to move. It was hard as hell. Can you imagine being cramped in there and the car moving? Poor woman. The release does illuminate so you can see it.

So before anyone asks, "why didn't she just pull the trunk release and get out", get in for yourself and see why she didn't!

And no, I will not post the pic my coworker took. It looks like a crime scene photo! LOL
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #128
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCruSSh View Post
OK all don't flame me. What can I say, I was bored at work so a co-worker and I thought we would see just how easy it was to get out of the trunk of my car. Well guess what? It is hard as hell!

I'm 5' 10" and it was virtually impossible to get into the trunk not to mention the fact that I was so cramped I could not move. Unless this woman was put in the trunk back first there was no way for her to position herself to pull the trunk release on the trunk. If she was put in there head first she wouldn't be able to move. It was hard as hell. Can you imagine being cramped in there and the car moving? Poor woman. The release does illuminate so you can see it.

So before anyone asks, "why didn't she just pull the trunk release and get out", get in for yourself and see why she didn't!

And no, I will not post the pic my coworker took. It looks like a crime scene photo! LOL
I have been in the trunk of my friend's Acura legend and it was cramped as heck too, but unless she is 5'10 like yourself she should have some space to pull the lever. I can understand if panic sets in and you don't think about pulling the lever, but it's there for cases like these.
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #129
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
That trunk is not deep enough to turn or maneuver. Granted I'm taller than the average woman but ones height/legs are not the only issue...it's the body width as well. The trunk is not deep enough for you to even turn side to side. I'm just saying...try it. The Camaro trunk opening is extremely small.

I went into this little experiment saying to myself, "why didn't see pull the trunk release?" But now I can see why...small trunk coupled with the car moving and being in shock...it is pretty hard to get out with all those factors coming into play. Glad that woman is alive and lived through it.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #130
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Mine will be protected by Smith & Wesson. That's why I have a concealed carry permit.
Don't mess with Texas!
Please tell me your not the first 2010 Camaro owner with the first gun rack installed with out posting it in the DIY forums!?!? LOL J/K!

Im just waiting for someone to say "A Trunk Monkey fits very well..."" OMG

And you actually got in your trunk..... Im hoping it was like 50 degrees outside......
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #131
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
An indicator on the dash would have alerted the thief about the trunk as soon as she pulled the release. As small as the opening to the trunk is, she probably wouldn't have had time to get out before he stopped and possibly hurt or even killed her with a few shots. I would not have blamed her for trying though given the potential events that could have come later on that evening for all she knew.

good point. i hope she get justice.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #132
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
why didn't she use the escape handle in the trunk to jump out?
Besides the fact the car was moving, when the trunk is opened it signals the driver. He could have just stopped the car and shot her.

It's real easy when you're all sitting here at the computer to say "We'll I would have just shot him" or "I would have easily opened the trunk and got away" but in real life things aren't always so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Mine will be protected by Smith & Wesson. That's why I have a concealed carry permit.
Don't mess with Texas!
There's a huge percentage of people in Texas packing...pretty sure it's the #1 state. Therefore, a concealed weapon will not be a surprise. A carjacker in that state would likely be extra careful when jacking a car for fear of armed civilians so just having a gun on you will likely result in you being shot as he would definitely be looking.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #133
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
good point. i hope she get justice.
I guess you take your chances, get in the trunk and hope for a good outcome, or try to get out any way possible. I have seen experts on TV say never go with the attacker, as your chance of escape goes down. I am glad to hear she is ok. It could have easily turned out bad (i.e. set the car of fire when she is in it. shot at her from the outside of the trunk, etc) There are a lot of crazy people out there.
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #134
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Besides the fact the car was moving, when the trunk is opened it signals the driver. He could have just stopped the car and shot her.

It's real easy when you're all sitting here at the computer to say "We'll I would have just shot him" or "I would have easily opened the trunk and got away" but in real life things aren't always so easy.

There's a huge percentage of people in Texas packing...pretty sure it's the #1 state. Therefore, a concealed weapon will not be a surprise. A carjacker in that state would likely be extra careful when jacking a car for fear of armed civilians so just having a gun on you will likely result in you being shot as he would definitely be looking.
When Michigan first started allowing CCW/CPL permits crimes where a CPL holder could use his pistol against the perp dropped something like 20%. Just the knowledge that this person the criminal is thinking about robbing could have a gun caused a significant drop in crime.

I was thinking about the argument last night of wether or not you should try to shoot back and I came to one conclusion. You are not going to change the mind of someone who has a CPL. They showed a certain determination in getting the thing in the first place and it can be quite a hassel. They also have that mind set that allows them to fight back. The people arguing that you should carry to protect yourself and your property however could change the mind of someone who doesn't have a CPL and convince them they should get one.

To those people I say go for it, but pratice first and maybe run through a cenario. The more you go through the motions, or run through it in your head the better off you will be when it happens. I can almost guarantee you will be better prepared than some crack head trying to steal your ride or rob you. This is how every military has done things for thousands of years, pratice does make perfect.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #135
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Quote:
Are you even reading the posts I've been responding to? The people who would try to shoot someone for taking their car? I've been responding to the people who say they would pull out a gun and easily shoot someone who is hijacking their car with a gun.

Let him take the car. If he's going to abduct you (this is less common with men, which you all seem to be) then by all means fight back. Fight back as in run the f*** away because he has a gun and will shoot you if you physically fight him. Do not try to be a hero and pull out a gun or you will get shot as this is the real world and carjackers are borderline insane.

I'm NOT comparing this to the girl who got kidnapped. That is a tragedy and she is lucky to be alive. However, had she tried to pull a gun on him she would most likely be DEAD. Don't fight back, let them take the car, call the police, and let professionals capture the thief and get your car back. All of you that go "No one can steal from me I'll just shoot him" don't live in the real world and would probably die trying to be a hero while saving their car...which would be returned to you anyways had you walked away like an intelligent person. This has nothing to do with pride or manliness...the guy has a gun in your face and you're going to let him "win" this round and take your car knowing you will get your car back and he will go to jail in the long run...and you won't have to risk your life doing the work of a police officer.
Are you reading our posts?

The point is you don't know if he is going to JUST take the car or take YOU TOO. You have those first few moments to act otherwise you might be in a position away from your gun or out of position to act. Like others have said on here, those taken hostage are not alive when all is said and done more often than not.

The point I am trying to make is that you have no idea what the guy is going to do. Someone who car jacks people at gunpoint (life in prison in many states because it is commission of a violent crime with a firearm) isn't a rational person and doesn't make good decisions.

Like I posted earlier you are not going to convince someone who has a CPL not to use it, different mindset. The only people who would change their mind by reading these posts are people who don't have CPLs and decide they are not helpless to the whims of a Sociopath.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #136
Fat_Tire_Custom

Drives: 1972 Rally Sport, 2010 RS/SS
The Camaro alarm system and GPS are fine, but I'll be upgrading to the Trunk Monkey now. http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/28/1/
Fat_Tire_Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #137
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Tire_Custom View Post
The Camaro alarm system and GPS are fine, but I'll be upgrading to the Trunk Monkey now. http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/28/1/
I knew this was coming LOL
thesnoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #138
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2016 corvette Z06
where is the trunk monkey when you need him
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #139
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Like I posted earlier you are not going to convince someone who has a CPL not to use it, different mindset. The only people who would change their mind by reading these posts are people who don't have CPLs and decide they are not helpless to the whims of a Sociopath.
The points I'm trying to make are that

#1. If you don't have a CPL then in any real-life carjacking situation you're not going to be able to get to your gun without being shot.

#2. If you have a CPL it may make you think you're an unstoppable badass, but in a real-life carjacking situation if you get out your gun it will likely result in a shootout. This is again assuming the gun is actually on you instead of in the car somewhere.

#3. Common sense says women are much more likely to be taken with the car than men, for reasons I'm not going to go into. If you're a man the odds of you being kidnapped with the carjacker are slim.

#4. You're going to get your car back anyways.

If you want to fight to the death for your car then go for it, but the sensible thing to do would be to let him take the car. The girl, which sadly was kidnapped with the car, at least survived. Had she fought the armed carjacker she may not have been so lucky.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #140
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Quote:
The points I'm trying to make are that

#1. If you don't have a CPL then in any real-life carjacking situation you're not going to be able to get to your gun without being shot.

#2. If you have a CPL it may make you think you're an unstoppable badass, but in a real-life carjacking situation if you get out your gun it will likely result in a shootout. This is again assuming the gun is actually on you instead of in the car somewhere.

#3. Common sense says women are much more likely to be taken with the car than men, for reasons I'm not going to go into. If you're a man the odds of you being kidnapped with the carjacker are slim.

#4. You're going to get your car back anyways.

If you want to fight to the death for your car then go for it, but the sensible thing to do would be to let him take the car. The girl, which sadly was kidnapped with the car, at least survived. Had she fought the armed carjacker she may not have been so lucky.
I would like to see some statistics on these points. I am a police officer and every piece of advise in any literature I have seen advises a woman to fight their attackers. Also more often than not persons abducted by a starnger are not found alive. This woman was very lucky. As I said, having seen stories like this everyday in the news and work, there are plenty of situations where you can get your gun out (and many CPL holders do, it's on the news everyday) and fire first. No need to get into some argument about it you have your opinions and I have mine.

There are some simple habits to get into to make sure you can keep control of these situations. Keep your gun on your right side in the car. Your body conceals you pulling it. Most modern cars have automatic locking doors so the doors will lock when the carjacker gets there. My windows are tinted so the guy can't see what I am doing till the door opens. Now it is just a matter of shooting him through the window or driving off while trying to conceal as much of your body as possible. I myself would just fire through the window. The guy would be so suprised I would seriously doubt he fires back, and if he does he probably won't hit anything. If he breaks the window as soon as he gets there fall over to your right side. You can pull your gun without being seen in this position. Then wait till he pulls you from the car or basicaly lets his guard down to try and control you by pulling you out of the car. There's your chance shoot as you move parallel and away from him. Most cities have CPL clubs or NRA type clubs that you can join and they actually run simulations like this. If you don't understand the way a criminal thinks then you will never understand why you have a good chance to fight back and win.

Again I do not want to get into an argument. I revert to my earlier statements about who's minds would be swayed by these postings and it is not the CPL holders. I also will guide you back to my earlier quote. I consider my self and able good man so I will do my part so maybe the guy I shoot doesn't rob and shoot you or someone you love (and I would do the same if I wasn't an ex-soldier and police officer).

Last edited by missionbrent; 09-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote