Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
My Ported l99 oil pump pics

Just showing some of Russ's port work on a L99 oil pump, basically bought a zero mile take off oil pump from a L99 camaro for 20$ shipped. Handed it to Russ at volatile performance to get some port work done, and I'm very happy with what fabrication work he put in, thought I would share a few pictures.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
LeanPocket

Since I chose a L99 oil pump, it's basically considered 'high volume' straight from the factory, I just had Russ smooth the transitions to increase the flow and kept the stock internal spring and bought a new o ring.

Thanks for viewing everyone.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Would have been cool to see before and after pics to see how much was taken off. Cool nonetheless.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
And machining or polishing of the area around the valve?

In for the results.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
LeanPocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post

In for the results.
I'll be sure to ask
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Just curious, if it is already considered a high volume pump are the gains of porting great enough to justify the work? Looks good but inquiring minds want to know.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
LeanPocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp51998 View Post
Just curious, if it is already considered a high volume pump are the gains of porting great enough to justify the work? Looks good but inquiring minds want to know.
Depends on the nature of the build. I'm adding a pretty stout FTI nitrous converter in my 6l80, custom built for a 150-200 shot of nitrous. The converter will flash pretty much instantaneously on the n20 hit from a 30 roll, so it would stay pretty much in my powerband during WOT. So you can imagine my oiling requirements.

Heres a nice youtube of a stalled 6l80 that runs 10's for reference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Mi6Ih3BVXIQ

A quote from Russ on our local forums:
Quote:
..it reduces pumping loss, and increases final volume output at a given pressure, while reducing the friction caused by turbulence..

Last edited by LeanPocket; 06-24-2013 at 12:25 AM.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
LeanPocket

If you have a stock low-0 mileage oil pump laying around I say its definitely worth it; he was very reasonable with the pricing. All in all, with port work, oil pump take off, new o ring, it came out cheaper than a brand new stock oil pump from gmpartsdirect/rock auto/summit ect and obviously way cheaper than a melling.

He's also porting my heads, my intake, designed my cam and plumbing my intake for a direct port.

Along with fabricating a custom nitrous bottle bracket for my backseat so it doesn't ruin the leather, which to my knowledge hasnt been done before on fifth gen camaros. I'll be posting up a build thread for that in the very near future when its completed.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Is it cheaper to do this work than to buy a ~150 dollar melling? Which is blue printed and made of better material than the stock pumps so they will last longer and flow way more than a stock one as well.

Can wait to see that bracket.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
LeanPocket

Quote:
Is it cheaper to do this work than to buy a ~150 dollar melling? Which is blue printed and made of better material than the stock pumps so they will last longer and flow way more than a stock one as well.

Can wait to see that bracket.
You can never go wrong with a melling, those are top of the line no doubt. I chose to take a different avenue based on personal experience and from cars with proven track results that use his port work that preform without issue. So for me I have piece of mind in the craftsmanship.

Now with that said, I don't want to throw out prices or anything, but for what I paid, I got exactly what I wanted for less than a brand new oem oil pump when all was said and done. My current l99 oil pump is running past 120k miles without issue, so for what it is, these oem pumps are pretty robust that flow great with little modification, and for most builds are great in stock form.

The bracket will be done, from initial fabrication to powder coat in a couple of weeks or so. We just got the measurements taken and it's ready to get sculpted and i volunteered to do the CAD work. It'll be legit, I hate bottle openers and I hate being caught with my pants down with my bottle closed on the highway. Plus it looks cool when the women step inside
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
LeanPocket

Quote:

In for the results.
Just got the word:
'On the valve, I only remove the casting flash, and smooth'