Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs iom
Send a message via AIM to Dforce0990 Send a message via Yahoo to Dforce0990 Send a message via Skype™ to Dforce0990
Gm factory glitch?

My wife is a salesperson at don ringler Chevrolet in temple tx, and she just got done talking to me about a glitch in the gm factory with order numbers and vin numbers. She got this intel from one the big wigs who sit behind a fancy desk that had to call gm and talk: to someone to get updates on every chevy car they had ordered...

I'm not saying whether it's true or not, I am just trying to see if others that sell chevy's have heard this or not. Because I really don't trust someone I have never seen in person.

Thanks in advance!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM Int. #191,037 Welcome Home "Kayla"!

"...But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."
Dforce0990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Hmmmm....no glitches on any of my orders with order numbers and VIN's.

What kind of a glitch?!?!
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
selling_chevys
selling_chevys

Drives: silverado
it's been rumored here in dallas too. must be someone new in the factory this week doesn't know how to match a vin to a camaro.
selling_chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Can't wait to hear more about this.

Sounds intriguing. BUT...don't they check the VIN on the car before they sell it?
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Send a message via AIM to Dforce0990 Send a message via Yahoo to Dforce0990 Send a message via Skype™ to Dforce0990
Okay so Dallas and temple. So it's not false... It's not just us... An it's not limited to smaller city dealership. Im going to prod my wife into trying to get more details, if anyone else has any please share!

"...But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men."
Old 02-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_bank_robber View Post

Sounds intriguing. BUT...don't they check the VIN on the car before they sell it?
you would assume so, guess everywhere this has happened will turn into the let's blame the other person game when it should be checked and rechecked with it's paperwork by everyone it comes into contact with until the customer picks it up.

Or... Idea number two just hit me and it could be a mix up at the plant itself where they see say for an example a dealer in Austin Texas and Charlotte nc have both ordered a CGM 2ss m6. And.. The dealers have already recieved the vins and notified the anxious future owner of the progress. But the cars were swapped and sent by type instead of vin. So that is just another POSSIBILITY.

Btw, wifes looking into more details.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

So wife talked to me last night about what the guy said, and its basically what selling_chevy's said. They make them all in a batch, and send to where they're needed. They hand out Vin's to patiently waiting customers, but sometimes they take the first vehicle and mark it to go to a dealership that has a higher demand or something along those lines.

But if the factory is shipping Vin's out, and then not delivering the exact car to wherever it was supposed to be going (i.e. the vin has reached the customer) couldn't that tarnish GM?

Plus none of this has been proved by any fact yet, just speculation of a dealership in Temple, TX. If anyone has any answers, please post them up.
If the light never shines on this again, which I hope it doesn't, GM and the factory have fixed whatever problem had occured and the car (with matching Vin) has made it to the customer who had recieved the confirmation.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
selling_chevys
selling_chevys

Drives: silverado
Very possible. I'm sure GM is gonna keep anything like this hush hush... they don't want to be put on "blast" like toyota over something as simple as vin mix ups...even though toyotas problem is way more important. safety wise.

Honestly I wish GM wouldn't send inventory sheets ahead and give the customer a vin... just wait til the cars actually get there and contract them when they arrive. you can't argue with something right infront of you. and it's the factorys decision overall on who gets their car and when. don't bite the hand that feeds you...right?
selling_chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Haha very true, but they are putting their tasty looking hands in the face of a pitbull on steroids, I.e. The already anxious gen 5 camaro owners (or soon to be).

I agree with you to an extent, but i need a vin to apply for a vehicle loan, and to get insurance set up to drive it off the lot. So in a nutshell I like being prepared to make things easier. And well less timely, the army doesn't like letting me have "me" time to do anything I need to. I have Saturday night and Sunday, and relying on an iPhone and all of it's glorious apps can be quite tedious.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
highly un likely i work for the large SUV plant here in Arlington and we run the vins and anything possible to make sure it all matches before it goes out the door, i would assume they do the same thing for the Camaros or any other vehicle they build

edit* we also have to scan the vins after it is placed on the cars to make sure its right so there cant be any mix up with them etc thats why we have whats called "VS" which is a Verification Station to check quality etc
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownWarrior View Post
highly un likely i work for the large SUV plant here in Arlington and we run the vins and anything possible to make sure it all matches before it goes out the door, i would assume they do the same thing for the Camaros or any other vehicle they build

edit* we also have to scan the vins after it is placed on the cars to make sure its right so there cant be any mix up with them etc thats why we have whats called "VS" which is a Verification Station to check quality etc
Any input or idea to why some dealers are giving customers different vin'd camaro's?

Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
UnknownWarrior
GM Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dforce0990 View Post
Any input or idea to why some dealers are giving customers different vin'd camaro's?
wrong car went to the wrong dealer etc probably a mix up by the shipping companys some where
Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
jputer

Drives: 2016 1LT Garnet Red
I really do not care what the VIN# is as long as the order tracking is accurate and I get the car that I ordered.
jputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
Dforce0990
Deployed Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputer View Post
I really do not care what the VIN# is as long as the order tracking is accurate and I get the car that I ordered.
Well the camaro you ordered with its order number and vin, may be shipped to someone else who ordered the same exact car as you because they've been waiting longer.

Atleast thats the idea i seem to be forming after hearing different stories, and excuses from two local chevy dealers.