Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
If the 5.3 Vortec in your Silverado is a dog, something is wrong. My Yukon which weighs about as much as a house, flew when I had the 5.3 in it. No problem towing either until I found anti freeze in my oil! Ended up dropping a 6.0 in it just to get a bit more torque but I was completely satisfied with 5.3 engines power.

As for quality, I have a few issues with the vehicle but I truly believe GM's quality has greatly improved with it's current products, especially the latest cars like the Malibu and G8.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #30
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
I have an Avalanche with the 5.3 and I'm sure it weighs more than a pickup. It moves along pretty good and gets 18-19 mpg on the highway if you keep it at 65 or below.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The Camaro is also being built at what is arguably GM's best plant in terms of initial quality. There shouldn't be any worries
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The Camaro is also being built at what is arguably GM's best plant in terms of initial quality. There shouldn't be any worries
I think it won "The" best plant in North America last year! That award ranks every car plant in North America regardless of manufacturer. When I spoke to Al Oppenheiser about the plant, he couldn't believe the attention to detail they were giving the Camaro.

Everything is scrupulously checked to ensure proper fit and finish. One little issue and they call him to make sure everything is going as it should. They would even question quality levels of parts that come in. Most plants just grab the next part in line and never question the parts quality.

It's the perfect plant for our babies to be born out of!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #33
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
NITPICK ALERT

Um, the bird always shared the same frame, platform, factory, glass pieces, and in the later years, drivetrains and engines as the camaro, yes. Almost nothing else was EXACTLY the same. Even a third gen's doors have a different stamping on them. The poncho is a squarer bend. The fender line is different. This is true of the 2nd gen too, although the doors might be more similar on that generation. fourth gens shared almost nothing exterior and interior wise, only glass. ( and the obvious platform, engines and trannies.) I'm not one of those Pontiac guys who says that the Bird was a different car altogether. It clearly was a stablemate. But a clone? I disagree. The firebird had a different following. Its fans saw their cars as more sophisticated, an upscale version of the sporty F car. And that's how GM looked at it. A different trim of essentially the same car, sold to a different market. Was it costlier than just making camaros? yes. Do firebird fans on this site still ache a little inside every time they remember that their beloved bird is no more? Definitely. I know I do. :(

Also, Pontiac never offered a turbo V6 in a firebird in 1980. The v6 was in 1991 and was a beast of a motor. The TTA in 1979-1981 was a 4.9l V8 with a turbo on it.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #34
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
NITPICK ALERT

Um, the bird always shared the same frame, platform, factory, glass pieces, and in the later years, drivetrains and engines as the camaro, yes. Almost nothing else was EXACTLY the same. Even a third gen's doors have a different stamping on them. The poncho is a squarer bend. The fender line is different. This is true of the 2nd gen too, although the doors might be more similar on that generation. fourth gens shared almost nothing exterior and interior wise, only glass. ( and the obvious platform, engines and trannies.) I'm not one of those Pontiac guys who says that the Bird was a different car altogether. It clearly was a stablemate. But a clone? I disagree. The firebird had a different following. Its fans saw their cars as more sophisticated, an upscale version of the sporty F car. And that's how GM looked at it. A different trim of essentially the same car, sold to a different market. Was it costlier than just making camaros? yes. Do firebird fans on this site still ache a little inside every time they remember that their beloved bird is no more? Definitely. I know I do. :(

Also, Pontiac never offered a turbo V6 in a firebird in 1980. The v6 was in 1991 and was a beast of a motor. The TTA in 1979-1981 was a 4.9l V8 with a turbo on it.

i thought you were mad at Pontiac because they stopped making the fiero?

but like i said earlier GM knows what the dreal is and this car will wow everyone.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #35
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i thought you were mad at Pontiac because they stopped making the fiero?

but like i said earlier GM knows what the dreal is and this car will wow everyone.
No silly, he's mad because they stopped making the Aztec.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #36
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
No silly, he's mad because they stopped making the Aztec.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #37
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
No silly, he's mad because they stopped making the Asstec.
When I meet the person that came up with that big piece of ugly . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #38
fierodeletre

Hey now, them's fightin words there...

But I DO hate pontiac for killing the fiero. Well, for effing it up and THEN killing it right when they had fixed all their F ups. I've owned five, and I loved every one of them. It's a mid-engine thing. And PLEASE no one say anything about fires! Only the 84s had that problem. Saying that to a fiero head is like asking you guys why the pre-pre-pro headlights are so ugly...

and let's TAR and FEATHER the aztek weenies.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #39
fierodeletre

Also, I agree with the first poster that aside form the G8 and the solstice, Pontiac may as well close up shop because there's only so much rebadging, stupid front drive, BORING cars a pontiac enthusiast can take before he jumps ship and joins his Camaro compadres. In my case that's already happened.

Pontiac has lost their way.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #40
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierodeletre View Post
Also, I agree with the first poster that aside form the G8 and the solstice, Pontiac may as well close up shop because there's only so much rebadging, stupid front drive, BORING cars a pontiac enthusiast can take before he jumps ship and joins his Camaro compadres. In my case that's already happened.

Pontiac has lost their way.
The G8 is on the right track isn't it?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #41
fierodeletre

It's about it, man. The G8, if it portends what the future of Pontiac will be, is a good omen. Even the solstice leaves me wanting in many ways. It gets worst mileage and handles about the same, and has about infinity less trunk space and much less spacious interior than my 88 fiero. With the same engine my fiero would be an american lotus/ferrari clone that still gets groceries. I hope they do come around. I'm an optimist, but as it stands right now, the only pontiac I would even consider is a G8. And they should follow Camaro's lead and offer the DI v6 as the base engine.