Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
gow-92

Drives: 2013 2SS / RS
I don't think the CAFE limits will have much affect on how high manufacturers get the HP / torque numbers, they don't sell enough camaros to make a difference. I think the only limiting factor is the gas guzzler tax. I don't see any manufacturer producing a standard v8 car that would get mileage bad enough to qualify for that. Does anyone know if there are any plans to make the gas guzzler tax rules any more stringent? That would be the biggest factor in the future IMO.
gow-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I think it would be far better to concentrate on making the car weigh less with the same HP rather than just keep increasing the HP.

Same HP, less weight = better performance which is what we all are looking for right?

And again, I could care less how they make the HP (Displacement, SC, TT, Gerbils, etc) as long as the performance is there.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #31
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I think it would be far better to concentrate on making the car weigh less with the same HP rather than just keep increasing the HP.

Same HP, less weight = better performance which is what we all are looking for right?

And again, I could care less how they make the HP (Displacement, SC, TT, Gerbils, etc) as long as the performance is there.
While I agree some what the sound of a V8 vs 4 cyl and 6ers is unmatched. The norm don't really care for v6 vs v8 because most ppl dont race them. It never interested me to really race mine as 1) it's a manual and 2) I don't have the money to be king of track. So if they cut down to 400+ HP V6ers, that would be cool to most of consumers. Those who want V8 can have their slice as well. But with CAFE, isn't by 2025, every vehicle has to get 54+ mpg out of the factory?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
While I agree some what the sound of a V8 vs 4 cyl and 6ers is unmatched. The norm don't really care for v6 vs v8 because most ppl dont race them. It never interested me to really race mine as 1) it's a manual and 2) I don't have the money to be king of track. So if they cut down to 400+ HP V6ers, that would be cool to most of consumers. Those who want V8 can have their slice as well. But with CAFE, isn't by 2025, every vehicle has to get 54+ mpg out of the factory?
CAFE says that by 2025 the fleet average must be X amount of MPGs. Meaning that if they have enough electric, alernative energy, hybrid, etc vehicles to offset then they can have a lower volume vehicle that gets 8mpg, for example.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #33
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
The Mustang getting 662HP has to be driving the design team for Corvettes nuts. Hope something is in the works to make them top dog again.
I doubt it's driving them crazy... The ZR1 will buss a GT500's ASS plain and simple. Im sure there are some Z06's that will do the same. To be honest, putting some crazy number like 750 or so in a Corvette might be bad for that lightweight frame.