Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
UBERJIM

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Gauge Pod for Supercharged 2SS/RS

I'm about to put a Whipple on my SS. I am thinking I want to be able to see my boost. Do you think this is necessary or just for showing off? I don't think the Whipple kit comes with a boost gauge. I want to do a 3 gauge A-pillar pod. I want boost, a shift light with RPM, and I'm thinking air/fuel ratio. The third gauge is what I have a question about. For a boosted car, are these 3 gauges a good choice? I want a shift light since my steering wheel blocks my tach and I can't seem to keep my eyes on the HUD tach since I'm too focused on the road. I know, I'm weird like that. I just shift by sound. I don't know if the boost gauge is necessary. I would think ARF is pretty important. What do you guys think?

Last edited by UBERJIM; 07-14-2012 at 10:59 PM.
UBERJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
bcguy
bcguy

Drives: 2011 ss/rs m6
I have boost and air fuel pluses pillar mount. I look at them all the time and they give me assurance everything is going well
Agp 62/66 ,lsx 427. , Callie's ,diamond ,all pro ,American racing ,I'ds130s,102 intake and throttle body,etc .fore triple , Turbo 400 level 5 , b and m pro , dss carbon fiber , dss ford 9 inch with strange pumpkin,3.73 ratio,1400 hp axels,boost and air fuel pillar guages. Weld rts 17x10 and 17x4.5 with m and h drag radials and skinnys
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I also have boost and A/F on my pillar and it is suprising how often you look at them, becomes second nature, in fact it seems like you never look at them until you realize its just a reflex to check your stats while your driving.

Never a bad thing to have all the real time information you can!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
UBERJIM

Are there any gauges that would be more important (EGT, etc.)? I just want to make sure I don't damage the engine while getting on it. I figured a shift light will make sure I don't over rev, AFR will tell me if I am running lean, and boost would tell me if the supercharger is acting properly.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Boost & AFR is what I have on my pillar pod, also has a LED light for my ALKY Meth system. You should be fine with just a 2 gauge pod IMO

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
here is a thread we made a while back

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189993
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
I don't know many companies that make 3 gauge pillars for our car. I got a two gauge pulled with A/F ratio and boost. (the two most important gauges IMHO just to make sure my fuel is not lean and boost is in order). I'm running twin turbos by the way.
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueskillz View Post
I don't know many companies that make 3 gauge pillars for our car. I got a two gauge pulled with A/F ratio and boost. (the two most important gauges IMHO just to make sure my fuel is not lean and boost is in order). I'm running twin turbos by the way.
I'm having a hard time finding a 3 gauge pod now that I'm looking. I just assumed it was readily available. I am looking at the 2 gauge pod by Autometer. It's okay, but the color and texture don't match the stock piece. Do any of you guys know of an A pillar pod that matches better? I want to go with 2 or 3 2-1/16" gauges.

How about gauges? I'm looking a the Autometer Ultra Lite digital gauges. Are they any good. I like the look of the Prosport Evo gauges too, but I've never heard of them.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
The autometer matches the dash perfectly. You wont find a better pod off the shelf than it
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
UBERJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
The autometer matches the dash perfectly. You wont find a better pod off the shelf than it
Great. The pictures didn't do it justice then. Thanks. Autometer gauge pod it is. Now, which gauges? Autometer Ultra Lite, Prosport Evo, or something else?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Stay away from Pro-Sport they are rubbish. Their sensors are poor and often do not read correctly, their gauges do not function well either, they are very cheap for a reason...

Autometer are okay.

I would prefer Defi gauges, AEM gauges personally.

So if it was me I would get AEM uego wideband a/f gauge, Boost gauge is fine, and a pencil stick shift light. I believe you only would ever need two gauges, the A/F gauge will tell you a lot, then just install them in a autometer dual pillar pod.

like so

The nice part is they have a digital LED read out which is much easier to see then just an analog dial which is impossible to see at WOT.

If you have any questions let me know, we inventory all these items as well if you need them as a C5 price.

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
I installed Autometer Nexus gauges. Vac/Boost and Fuel PSI. Used the Autometer pod cuz it doesn't stick out far. The gauges are tucked into the pod a little bit.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
I have the Autometer 2 pod A Pillar, I don't think anyone makes a 3 pod for Camaros. Contrary to what someone said, I also have the Pro-Sport EVO Series Wideband AFR & Boost gauges and I'm extremely happy with them and they're very accurate, plus they match the interior lighting & gauges perfectly.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
I have the Autometer 2 pod A Pillar, I don't think anyone makes a 3 pod for Camaros. Contrary to what someone said, I also have the Pro-Sport EVO Series Wideband AFR & Boost gauges and I'm extremely happy with them and they're very accurate, plus they match the interior lighting & gauges perfectly.

How hard are the A/F and the boost gauges to install? Im having my car supercharged but the shop doesnt plan on doing any gauges, and Id like to have them. Shop says there is really no need for the gauges, but Ive always wanted a forced induction car and some boost and wideband gauges, call me silly, but i want my bells and whistles.
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote