Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Joey8

Drives: 2008 Trailblazer SS
manual ZL1

Hey guys, long time reader first time post! Anyways like most of you out there the ZL1 definitely caught my eye. That being said im now in the market to get one upon graduation in December 2012 (i no what timing damn winter). I went to my local chevy dealership in northern new jersey (widger chevy) and they had a summit white ZL1 with everything i want nav sunroof illuminated cupholders/footwells, microfiber inserts and a manual! that being said i currently drive an 07 trailblazer SS which i absolutely love with only 40,000 miles on it. The dealer said they would give me around $20,000- $23000 for the SS toward theZL1 which i think is not to bad of a deal. The reason the mileage is so low is because i didn't drive the SS my first two years in college because cars weren't allowed for under classmen. Now my question is i never drove a manual before, however i've been riding dirt bikes since i was seven so i understand the concept. Clutch in put in first raise rpms somewhat and slowly release clutch and off you go. However, is it that easy on the ZL1 meaning on my dirt bike i would shift into first like previously stated and from then on once i got going i would swiftly release the clutch when going into a higher gear without any "bucking" or anything like that. On the ZL1 once you shift into first can you release the clutch slighty faster when shifting into higher gears or should you always release the clutch just as slow as shifting into first. I really dont want to screw up the trans because the car is already expensive enough. Also, what about downshifting any advice on that? Basically my question is should i be scared of a manual in the zl1. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Definitely get manual, there is NOTHING like it. Shifting is easy once you get the hang of it, but trust me get the manual!!!!!!!
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Welcome... give it two days and it's just like riding a bike... it will come natural and you won't even think about it. Also the ZL1 is very easy to shift.

If you daily drive in traffic or drag race then you might want to think Auto. They can order anything you want.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Rent a Honda civic for a week to learn on.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
I am an automatic person through and through. Mainly because I'm lazy when it comes to a car. The only reason I didn't get an automatic was the guzzler tax was 2600 not 1300 like with the manual. That being said now that I have the manual I am glad the tax is double on the automatic, or I would've had that. There is nothing like it whatsoever. It's easy to drive and or learn on. I have to teach my wife to drive stick and it won't be a problem, she's not the most coordinated person. the only thing I'm still getting used to is the hill assist. Mine has no rime or reason when it will apply. The adrenaline rush is unbelievable knowing you have total control of the car and not the computer.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
mikebutry

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #54
Send a message via Yahoo to mikebutry
The ZL1 was my first manual purchase. Granted I've driven sticks before though. Before the Z, I'd always stall out during the learning curve of the car. I have stalled out the Z a grand total of 0 times. Easy car to learn on and the power is manageable. Hill assist is also a big plus lol...
mikebutry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Joey8

thank you for the answers. Im a fast learner and i wont think ill have to much of a problem once I get driving it for a couple of days. Also, whats the whole 1-4 shift ive been hearing about. As in you have to shift from 1 to 4 at times for some reason. i read it in the manual. One thing the ZL1 at the dealership has is the polished aluminum wheels i want the black ones! they have a convertible with the black wheels and i asked the sales if they could switch them for me. He said no but i feel like when its time to sign on the car hopefully they can do something. Im really leaning towards the manual now!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
arabiannight975

Drives: '10 Jeep Srt8, '12 Camry,'10 Accord
Haha its funny how no one answered his main question ! lol

Well I have a Grand Cheerokee SRT8 and it only comes in automatic.
Though I have driven alot of manual cars before.

The thing is when getting ready to moev in the first great you leave the clutch slowly so that it doesn't stall out! after that moving gears form 2-3-4 etc it doens't really matter
when you are racing or driving aggresively you wanna shift quick and to do that you have to leave your clutch very quickly so that minmum lag in gear changes!

When Crusing what I usally do is Press the clutch , change gear, leave the clutch and then apply gas! This way its pretty smooth no jerks or anything!

Just getting out of the first gear is usually hard for new learners since usally people stall.
I learned the stick a couple of year ago to get my license! But I drive both sticks and autos all the time !
arabiannight975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
arabiannight975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
thank you for the answers. Im a fast learner and i wont think ill have to much of a problem once I get driving it for a couple of days. Also, whats the whole 1-4 shift ive been hearing about. As in you have to shift from 1 to 4 at times for some reason. i read it in the manual. One thing the ZL1 at the dealership has is the polished aluminum wheels i want the black ones! they have a convertible with the black wheels and i asked the sales if they could switch them for me. He said no but i feel like when its time to sign on the car hopefully they can do something. Im really leaning towards the manual now!

I think what you mean is the skip-shift thing, I am not really fully aware of it ! But I think it locks you out when shifting and you are forced to shift into the 4th gear.

And I have no idea if its jsut for automatics or manuals.
In my '12 camry I have this very shitty feature, you leave stop light with aggresive accelerations and it geos from 1..2....3 and all of a sudden in 5 :S
and it makes me want to smack my car with a hammer. Very annoying.
though I am not sure if its excalty the skip shift thing.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabiannight975 View Post
Haha its funny how no one answered his main question ! lol

Well I have a Grand Cheerokee SRT8 and it only comes in automatic.
Though I have driven alot of manual cars before.

The thing is when getting ready to moev in the first great you leave the clutch slowly so that it doesn't stall out! after that moving gears form 2-3-4 etc it doens't really matter
when you are racing or driving aggresively you wanna shift quick and to do that you have to leave your clutch very quickly so that minmum lag in gear changes!

When Crusing what I usally do is Press the clutch , change gear, leave the clutch and then apply gas! This way its pretty smooth no jerks or anything!

Just getting out of the first gear is usually hard for new learners since usally people stall.
I learned the stick a couple of year ago to get my license! But I drive both sticks and autos all the time !
Ha Ha... you're right... but you didn't answer his second question on skip shift.

At least we are all trying...

For skip shift... sometimes when you hit low rpms in 1st gear the transmission will lock out 2nd and you just slide it into 4th instead. (Only happens between 1st & 2nd) The display on the dash will show you the shift pattern if it does activate which doesn't happen very often.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Joey8

ahhhh srt-8 so pretty love that truck. Thanks yeah i think its the skip - shift "thing" they said its for fuel economy, meaning you shift to 4th is does whatever then you go to normal shifting from there. Idk just something i read about. so it sounds like you just slowly release the clutch when going from neutral to 1st rev and slowly release clutch then from there on you can release it a bit quicker. Also, say that im approaching a stop light. Im in 3rd can i break and once the rpms get down relatively low clutch in and put it in neutral and wait till it turns green then go from there. or should i slow down downshift to second downshift to 1st then neutral. or doesnt it really matter? thanks for all the help, you guys are great!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
ahhhh srt-8 so pretty love that truck. Thanks yeah i think its the skip - shift "thing" they said its for fuel economy, meaning you shift to 4th is does whatever then you go to normal shifting from there. Idk just something i read about. so it sounds like you just slowly release the clutch when going from neutral to 1st rev and slowly release clutch then from there on you can release it a bit quicker. Also, say that im approaching a stop light. Im in 3rd can i break and once the rpms get down relatively low clutch in and put it in neutral and wait till it turns green then go from there. or should i slow down downshift to second downshift to 1st then neutral. or doesnt it really matter? thanks for all the help, you guys are great!
Some folks downshift through a couple gears and some just push in the clutch and brake to a stop. Just a personal preference and you'll probably get a lot of responses on this. I do it both ways just depending on how I feel at the time.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Joey8

i heard pushing in the clutch "riding it" and coming to a stop isnt good for the clutch? is that incorrect information i received. i heardthat its better to shift into neutral and ride it that way. and neutral is just putter the shifter "inbetween" the gears so the shifter isnt in any particular gear rather just in the middle
Old 10-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
arabiannight975

Quote:

Yes, I love it ! <3

well nah dude , no matter what speed you are diriving at. you wanna stop simply Press teh Clutch , put it in neutral and let go of the clutch it will eventually come to a stop ! You don't have to shift down in sequence like a bike. But yes, you must learn when to shift down during turns, usually during city driving when I am taking a turn I shift down into the 2nd gear and then turn. and if I am driving a High HP car (Any sports car with stick) I tend to usually start in the 2nd gear, cuz sometimes your foot slips off the clutch and you automatically go in a burn the rubber mode lol