Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
ZL1 in Cold Weather Report

So I realize some that read this will tell me to quit complaining, it's not that cold. But we're going down to 8 tonight, a heat wave for some.

Anyway, I ran one errand today in 22 degrees and wanted to report in case anyone wonders. Stock tires by the way.

First, I had to back out of the drive way and turn, and the rear end chatter was horrible. So I drove down the street and made a 90 degree left hand turn onto another street and the chatter was still bad.

Second, the shifter was stiff. Car definitely needed to warm up more but I wasn't going so far that it would have time to.

Next I noticed, and I've felt this before, that the suspension felt really stiff for being in tour mode.

Finally, and really most important, it's about like driving on ice in these tires. I tapped my gas a couple of times in 2nd gear in the 15 mph range and they instantly let loose and the car just starts going sideways. Not like spinning them under normal driving conditions, but really like on water or ice.

So not really good. I just took it slow the rest of the time. The rear end chatter stopped, it got a little easier to shift, the suspension stayed about the same and the tires never improved. 5 minutes one way, sit for a half hour, 5 minutes back.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
About the same hear. First day back to work, atleast it was only a 10 minute drive both ways. It was 28 this morning and 36 on the way home. It is suppose to be colder in the morning though.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Would you explain "rear end chatter"?

Yes, the wheels feel like hockey pucks. They don't spin, they almost hop. I find that the car is fine as long as I am easy on the throttle. The only thing I'm scared of is catostrophic failure of the tires.

On Friday, I drove home about 10 miles through winding and hilly roads in blizzard (read blinding snow and wind) like conditions and I made it ok. Thankfully not much accumulation before I got home. I was really worried that I wouldn't make it up a few hills, but I made sure I had enough momentum going up.

I would hope that other than the tires that the ZL1 is good to go in really cold temperatures. My 2008 M3 was fine when we had -10 to -20 degrees temperatures (without wind chill factor) for about a week in Wisconsin in 2009.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Keep an eye on your tires for cracks.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
It's -16 here (without windchill). Yeah, the stock tires absolutely suck in cold weather and really become dangerous as you noted. The only time I hear any rear end noise is in colder weather slowly backing out of my driveway. I plan on changing the fluid when I can drive the car.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Second, the shifter was stiff. Car definitely needed to warm up more but I wasn't going so far that it would have time to.
I have a '13 Roush Stage 3 and I also experience the stiff shifting when the car is cold. Only when cold, the shifting from 1-2 is worse and 2-3 isn't bad, but not great. (I did buy a MGW short throw shifter which will be installed in the late spring/early summer which should remedy that problem. Damn Chinese crapola.) I know we're talking oranges to apples, but just wanted to chime in.
She does the cold air though.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
It's -16 here (without windchill). Yeah, the stock tires absolutely suck in cold weather and really become dangerous as you noted. The only time I hear any rear end noise is in colder weather slowly backing out of my driveway. I plan on changing the fluid when I can drive the car.
Yeah, and that's not a low of -16, it made it up to -16.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Use your PTM's. It makes a huge difference when the tires are cold.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Yeah, and that's not a low of -16, it made it up to -16.
I grew up in Moorhead, I remember it well.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
it's perfectly normal that's your cars are hard to shift. i usually goe from 1 to 3.even if you have another shifter it will do the same..when it cold like you've said 20 deg and lower trans oil is like molasses.as it heats up it will shift easier. gear noise also happens cold oil.. have you seen gear oil how much it flows at -25F ..
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
2012-1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
Would you explain "rear end chatter"?
Hoping someone else would chime in. There are threads on it. The rear diff clunks when cold and turning tightly such as parking lot maneuvers or turning after backing up. Happened more frequently in more normal temps when I first go the car. Took it in they changed the fluid. Generally it doesn't do it now. But in the weather it acts up a little. If I was actually going somewhere it would warm up after a couple of miles and it would probably quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Keep an eye on your tires for cracks.
Yeah, I thought about this. I don't so much care because I need new ones anyway. Would only suck if I got a flat while out. But if it's damaged in the driveway I can deal with that.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Hoping someone else would chime in. There are threads on it. The rear diff clunks when cold and turning tightly such as parking lot maneuvers or turning after backing up. Happened more frequently in more normal temps when I first go the car. Took it in they changed the fluid. Generally it doesn't do it now. But in the weather it acts up a little. If I was actually going somewhere it would warm up after a couple of miles and it would probably quit.
Yeah, my car does this pulling out of my driveway in the morning. I sometimes think I hit a small rock with my front rim, as that is how it feels.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 PM   #13
2012-1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
Yeah, my car does this pulling out of my driveway in the morning. I sometimes think I hit a small rock with my front rim, as that is how it feels.
That's exactly what it is, sounds like it comes from the front sort of. You can probably get the dealership to change the diff fluid for free and it will help. They covered mine and a bunch of other people's under warranty.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
I had the OEM tires on last year and we got down to about 25 or so and I experienced the hockey puck tires as the rear end came out on a minute 5-10 mph left hand turn. Today I'm happy to report we hit 15 degrees this morning and I drove it to work on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and not once did it feel like I was about to lose the rear end.