Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

View Poll Results: Are you running a Front License Plate in WA?
Running Front Plate 32 29.09%
Not Running Front Plate 78 70.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #15
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Not 100% sure on the validity of what I was told...but if you look up the law in WA the front plate isn't required on vehicles that don't come with a mount from the manufactuer. Thats what I was told by a WA camaro owner at the last meet I went to. He keeps a copy of the code (or whatever its called) in his glove compartment and shows it to the cops when he gets pulled over. He's a camaro5 member, can't remember his screen name tho?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #16
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
No plate on mine. Didn't have one on my 99 SS until I sold it last fall. Don't see why there has to be a plate on the front other than a speed radar/laser target for the police. I wonder what would be needed to delete the front plate requirement?

I actually emailed the governor on this subject. This would be another way for the state to save money. Keep the license and tab fees the same but eliminate the production and requirement of the front plate. Cuts their production cost and shipping cost of the plates in half. States that currently do not require the front plate are:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia.
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
ToyotaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Not 100% sure on the validity of what I was told...but if you look up the law in WA the front plate isn't required on vehicles that don't come with a mount from the manufactuer. Thats what I was told by a WA camaro owner at the last meet I went to. He keeps a copy of the code (or whatever its called) in his glove compartment and shows it to the cops when he gets pulled over. He's a camaro5 member, can't remember his screen name tho?

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
LetsRoll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS Transformer Ed.
Keep in mind it is about how the RCW is interpreted. As I was told by a WSP officer and a Judge who dismissed my no front plate ticket. Both of them agreed with my interpretation of it, however you might get an officer who disagrees with you. If you do get a ticket it should be a fix it ticket so as long as you put one on and show them you have the ticket will get dismissed. Putting the plate in your front window really only shows them that its not being displayed properly an draws more attention to it. Again that came up in a discussion with a WSP and OSP officer, the OSP officer stated he runs into it a lot on tuner cars in Oregon. Like Ive always said do it at your own risk if you don't feel comfortable doing it put a plate on, if not run it clean until your told specifically you have to do it then see how well you can fight it. You may win. I haven't ran a front plate on my 2008 tacoma, 2005 XB, 2008 Matrix or my 2010 Camaro. I have ran it on my 2003 Passat and 2008 Nitro which both come from the factory with what could be deemed as a place for the plate.(kinda like Corvettes)

Last edited by LetsRoll; 04-25-2010 at 06:25 PM.
LetsRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
imstr8upg

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LT1 RS
I've never kept front plates on any of my cars ever. I have got pulled over a couple times from police letting me know it's the law to have one on, but they never ticket me. So I run the risk of getting a ticket, but I just feel the car looks too good to put it on.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
my wife got pulled over in our driveway a couple weeks ago for no front plate,i guess it was a slow morning for the sheriff so he pulled over the 40 year old mom for no front plate,he was a d bag,said if he saw her again with no plate he would issue a citation..we both agreed if either of us get a ticket so be it,car looks good without one up front
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #21
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCamaro View Post
I actually emailed the governor on this subject. This would be another way for the state to save money. Keep the license and tab fees the same but eliminate the production and requirement of the front plate. Cuts their production cost and shipping cost of the plates in half. States that currently do not require the front plate are:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia.
I don't suppose you got a response from her highness?
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
ToyotaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam 427 View Post
I don't suppose you got a response from her highness?
Not yet, she's probably getting her nails done.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Not yet, she's probably getting her nails done.
I'll refrain from making any more comments about our progressive governor.
I wonder if the plate requirement can be repealed through the initiative process? Maybe there are enough car clubs in this state to get enough signatures.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #24
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Not currently running one (no mount) so I will be subject to interpretation. I also know a few WSP troopers that have been close friends since HS and work in the Olympia area.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #25
ToyotaCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
Not currently running one (no mount) so I will be subject to interpretation. I also know a few WSP troopers that have been close friends since HS and work in the Olympia area.

Have your trooper buddies mentioned anything about the law or if they're enforcing it?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #26
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I have a plate mounted under the bumper just in case I do get stopped. "Oh gosh officer I must have forgotten to flip it back up after I washed the car".
Attached Images

chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Have your trooper buddies mentioned anything about the law or if they're enforcing it?
As stated in the RCW most that I have spoke with say if they spot a car with out a front plate the will use this to pull the car over and check for warrants, DUI, No insurance, ETC. If they find nothing then most will give you a fix it ticket and log it on the data base as such. Next time you get caught it's going to cost ya. Much like going 5 over the speed limit you may or may not get pulled over sighted, warned, or not at all it's all up to the trooper interpretation (most give people a little wiggle room unless your an ass). The RCW is a standard set to give clear picture of the law and PD job to make sure everyone adhere to that. That does not clear up the grey area, but open it up to the interpretation w/ most siding on the side of the RCW. So yes you should have a front plate, if you don"t you can be ticketed for this, you can go to traffic court and fight it, the judge my interpret that the officer was right or wrong based on how they read this RCW. This is how I understand it. This could be changed, but not likely to unless you have a large group that is willing to challenge it or get it revised on your dime. Hope this help some.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #28
Allen@TC

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Camaro on the way
Hide away plate

Here is the part # 12634 found here @ 150.00

www.thehoffmangroup.com/autoloc/search.lasso?search=12634

Hide Away License Plate mount kit.

This is the Hoffman Group 201 SE Oak St. 2nd floor Portland, OR 97214 (503) 693-6608

Last edited by Allen@TC; 04-29-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Allen@TC is offline   Reply With Quote