Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

View Poll Results: Are you running a Front License Plate in WA?
Running Front Plate 32 29.09%
Not Running Front Plate 78 70.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Unfortunately, I don't think the hide-away plate will work with my Camaro...ground effects package probably gets in the way.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
chiefs58

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Victory Red
I've had the car for three months with no front plate. Only drive it on the weekends.
chiefs58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #31
japerry

Drives: 2011 2LT RS RJT
I have my license plate on my jeep in the windshield... and when the Camaro comes, I'll do the same there too.
With the premise, if I do get stopped: "Officer, there is no bracket or place to mount it, so when the plates were mailed to me I just stuck it in the windshield".

We'll see if I ever get stopped ;-)

edit: I interpret the law to include the FRONT windshield as the front of the vehicle. There is nothing in front of a windshield at that height, therefore its the front of the vehicle, right?
japerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #32
dickholloway

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCamaro View Post
RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles -- Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, That if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not less than one foot nor more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, That in cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

What am I missing here??? The RCW says plate must be a horizontal position 1-4 feet from the ground and be clean. Laying it flat on the dashboard is 1) horizontal 2) between 1-4 feet from the ground 3) and if kept clean can be seen at all times when you look at it?????
dickholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #33
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickholloway View Post
What am I missing here??? The RCW says plate must be a horizontal position 1-4 feet from the ground and be clean. Laying it flat on the dashboard is 1) horizontal 2) between 1-4 feet from the ground 3) and if kept clean can be seen at all times when you look at it?????

Makes sense, I had a buddy in high school get a ticket for that though. Auburn Police have to be the worst. I'll probably do that, in high school we used to use those window suction cups with the hook in the middle (used for hanging Christmas lights in the window) Two of them through the upper holes in the license plate work great. It might be a good idea to keep a printout of the RCW in the glove box.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #34
dickholloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCamaro View Post
Makes sense, I had a buddy in high school get a ticket for that though. Auburn Police have to be the worst. I'll probably do that, in high school we used to use those window suction cups with the hook in the middle (used for hanging Christmas lights in the window) Two of them through the upper holes in the license plate work great. It might be a good idea to keep a printout of the RCW in the glove box.
be interested in a pic with the plate on those hooks... i was thinking of just laying it flat in passenger side corner with some double back tape.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #35
ToyotaCamaro

Drives: SIM 2LT RS 6M, Toy Tacoma S-Charged
Quote:
be interested in a pic with the plate on those hooks... i was thinking of just laying it flat in passenger side corner with some double back tape.

I'll get a picture on here soon.

2LT RS M6
Sunroof

- Injen Intake
- Hurst Short Throw Shifter
- Mobil 1 0W-30
- WeatherTech Extreme
- Quarter Flares
- 3M Clear Bra
- 20% Tint
- Kicker L5
ToyotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
what sucks is that the law is written in such a way as to multiple meanings,and in the end its the officers and judge we are stuck with,but i always look at tickets as admission to a hearing,whatever the fine i look at it as a way to gamble my money to see if i can outwit a judge or the legal system,either i lose the money or i win,i never just pay any ticket i fight everything and you would be suprised at what you can learn just sitting in court waiting for your turn,its a rush
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #37
Christiancoach

Drives: 2008 Holden Commodore SSV
You have to love that the law states that is has to be horizontal! Last time I check 99% of plates I see are vertically mounted!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
dickholloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
what sucks is that the law is written in such a way as to multiple meanings,and in the end its the officers and judge we are stuck with,but i always look at tickets as admission to a hearing,whatever the fine i look at it as a way to gamble my money to see if i can outwit a judge or the legal system,either i lose the money or i win,i never just pay any ticket i fight everything and you would be suprised at what you can learn just sitting in court waiting for your turn,its a rush
I know judges and DA's are mostly single digit IQ's, but is not clear about
-horizontal (state f**ked up as usual, should say vertical LOL)
-1 to 4 feet
-visible
Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #39
Ken-h
Flying toys

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS
Quote:
I know judges and DA's are mostly single digit IQ's, but is not clear about
-horizontal (state f**ked up as usual, should say vertical LOL)
-1 to 4 feet
-visible
Standing on end? lol.
Ken-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
Crossmanj21

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1986 GMC Sierra
Looks like that law changed a little in 2010. They still have not fixed the horizontal issue.

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

*** CHANGE IN 2010 *** (SEE 6379.SL) ***

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
Crossmanj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #41
dickholloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossmanj21 View Post
Looks like that law changed a little in 2010. They still have not fixed the horizontal issue.

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

*** CHANGE IN 2010 *** (SEE 6379.SL) ***

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.

i don't see any changes that legally prevents driving with the front licence plate laying on passenger side of the dash , do you?

wish we had a camaro owner/lawyer who could give us a legal opinion ....for free
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #42
kjnylin

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black/Black Auto
I have had my Camaro since last August with no front plate and no issues. My son bought a 350Z and within a week was busted for no front plate. This was in Bellingham. After getting the plate and going to court, it still cost him $184. Older guy in new Camaro, no issues. Young guy in lowered ricer with loud exhaust, busted. Profiling perhaps?

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
UPDATE! Purchased a 2013 ZL1 on 3/14/2015.
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote