Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
FiveO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed Manual
Coolingmist: Tune or no Tune?

I'm not sure if this question has been answered or not, but I currently have a supercharged camaro pushing 632RWHP at 9 pounds of boost. However, I'm really really interested in purchasing the coolingmist system STRICKLY for safety reasons. It's my understanding the best way would be to have my installer install it WITHOUT a tune that way my camaro WILL NOT depend on the Methonal system if it was to ever run low. Is this the CORRECT and ONLY way to avoid a dependency on methonal?

Last edited by FiveO; 02-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Good question maybe someone will answer it instead of just looking at the thread.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I get the car dialed in first without the meth/alky injection, save that tune. Then I tune it for the injection.

You can buy a used hand held system used pretty cheap and have both tunes loaded to it, but must guys just leave the tuned with meth/alky injection in the car and carry extra.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
FiveO

Tampa Tuning, thanks for the information I will install both tunes. But I do have one more question, if i use the meth injection without the tune, will that be considered too much octane during normal to moderate driving situations?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
mistermike

Drives: 2004 GTO
Whether to tune for meth spray or not depends on some other factors as well as the philosophical leaning of the owner. Clearly, the car should be properly tuned before the meth or meth/water is applied. Assuming the proportion of the spray is correct, you have the choice of utilizing the extra available octane to allow advancing the spark, or just having the spray as insurance against bad gas, 100 degree heat soaked days at the track, etc. Properly done, there will be a modest performance improvement even without tuning. The thing I most definitely do not recommend is using alcohol spray to prop up a fuel system that is maxxed out. Tuning for meth, makes you vulnerable to the additional points of failure introduced to the system. This is fine, as long as you go in with your eyes open, realizing that even a brief detonation event can be catastrophic with a forced induction motor.
2003 CTS with dead hooker in spacious trunk
fquick
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I'm not sure if this question has been answered or not, but I currently have a supercharged camaro pushing 632RWHP at 9 pounds of boost. However, I'm really really interested in purchasing the coolingmist system STRICKLY for safety reasons. It's my understanding the best way would be to have my installer install it WITHOUT a tune that way my camaro WILL NOT depend on the Methonal system if it was to ever run low. Is this the CORRECT and ONLY way to avoid a dependency on methonal?
With the amount of power and boost you're making and living in a hot and humid place, I'd certainly add Meth to the system. I've had meth on two cars and never had an issue. Just be sure the spray volume is properly adjusted according to your boost.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Great numbers on 9 PSI must have a cam also.

9 PSI in my opinion it too much for 93 octane and the inconsistency of pump fuel from station to station or week to week.

So Cooling Mist is a great option to protect your engine from Detonation.

And you are Correct in that you can use it for a safety WITHOUT A SPECIFIC TUNE for those days when you get bad fuel or it is too hot for boost.

I can help you with the Cooling Mist system and help you jet it and tune it to work with your set up.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

9 PSI in my opinion it too much for 93 octane and the inconsistency of pump fuel from station to station or week to week.

And you are Correct in that you can use it for a safety WITHOUT A SPECIFIC TUNE for those days when you get bad fuel or it is too hot for boost.

I can help you with the Cooling Mist system and help you jet it and tune it to work with your set up.

Ted.
ted, sent you a pm
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
FiveO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
Whether to tune for meth spray or not depends on some other factors as well as the philosophical leaning of the owner. Clearly, the car should be properly tuned before the meth or meth/water is applied. Assuming the proportion of the spray is correct, you have the choice of utilizing the extra available octane to allow advancing the spark, or just having the spray as insurance against bad gas, 100 degree heat soaked days at the track, etc. Properly done, there will be a modest performance improvement even without tuning. The thing I most definitely do not recommend is using alcohol spray to prop up a fuel system that is maxxed out. Tuning for meth, makes you vulnerable to the additional points of failure introduced to the system. This is fine, as long as you go in with your eyes open, realizing that even a brief detonation event can be catastrophic with a forced induction motor.
Mistermike, thanks for your input, I primarily want to use it as insurance against bad gas because the last couple of times my car was tuned it was obvious I had bad gas(93 octane) which was purchased from two different Texaco gas stations. In addition, IF and I say IF I decide to bring it to the track then of course I would want to have it as well. Thanks again for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
With the amount of power and boost you're making and living in a hot and humid place, I'd certainly add Meth to the system. I've had meth on two cars and never had an issue. Just be sure the spray volume is properly adjusted according to your boost.
Between my installer(Straight Performance Racing) and tuner(Ted) I'm sure they will make sure the spray volume is properly adjusted. I just needed to hear from a few guys on this site to determine which route they used and how their experiences were with the coolingmist system with and/or without a tune. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:

Ted.
Great numbers you say huh!!LOL Well I could not have made it this far without Sheldon's(Street Performance Racing) installation and your tunning via SCT!! THANKS! Yes I do have a cam, I'm using your "Smoothe Idle" blower cam as well as a full exhaust system that I purchased from you.

The last couple of times we tuned the car we were unfortunate to have bad gas but thats been a problem with a few gas stations here as of late, but I STRICTLY want it as insurance and not added HP. As stated earlier, if I just so happen to take my vehicle to the track I would definetly want to use it. I guess I'm starting to realize more and more that I WILL need it, therefore please send me a PM with pricing on the Coolingmist system preferably with a fender mount tank.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
I knew you would take the leap

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
FiveO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
I knew you would take the leap
I tried to fight it but better safe than sorry!!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Mistermike, thanks for your input, I primarily want to use it as insurance against bad gas because the last couple of times my car was tuned it was obvious I had bad gas(93 octane) which was purchased from two different Texaco gas stations. In addition, IF and I say IF I decide to bring it to the track then of course I would want to have it as well. Thanks again for your input.

Between my installer(Straight Performance Racing) and tuner(Ted) I'm sure they will make sure the spray volume is properly adjusted. I just needed to hear from a few guys on this site to determine which route they used and how their experiences were with the coolingmist system with and/or without a tune. Thanks for the advice!

Great numbers you say huh!!LOL Well I could not have made it this far without Sheldon's(Street Performance Racing) installation and your tunning via SCT!! THANKS! Yes I do have a cam, I'm using your "Smoothe Idle" blower cam as well as a full exhaust system that I purchased from you.

The last couple of times we tuned the car we were unfortunate to have bad gas but thats been a problem with a few gas stations here as of late, but I STRICTLY want it as insurance and not added HP. As stated earlier, if I just so happen to take my vehicle to the track I would definetly want to use it. I guess I'm starting to realize more and more that I WILL need it, therefore please send me a PM with pricing on the Coolingmist system preferably with a fender mount tank.
Thanks for all the Business, sent you a PM.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Thanks for all the Business, sent you a PM.

Ted.
could also PM me a price? Thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
after talking to ted this morning . i am a meth addict now,..thanks for taking time out to call me ted.. nice to do business...a+ vendor here..soon as we get ready for install, i will have tyler from extreme perf call and get those tips and tricks ...knowledge is always a good thing...