Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
smartalec

Drives: Soon to be a 2010 Camaro
Quick question about automatic transmission "modes"

Don't blast me if this is a stupid question, but is the "sport" mode available on all models, and what is the benefit?
smartalec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
smartalec

any1?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I don't know about the V6 models but the SS models have 2 modes.
First mode is D for your everyday driving needs.
Second mode is M which puts it into sport mode unless you hit a paddle shifter which them puts it into Manual mode.

Hope this helps as to how it works but can't vouch for V6 having it.
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Sport mode is when you put your automatic car in M without using the paddle shifters. More agressive shifting or something.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
You may be talking about the "M" mode which means manual shifting. This does not turn the transmission into a manual transmission...LOL...but it allows you to over ride the computer shifts and shift at a higher RPM with the paddles on the back of the steering wheel. It gives you a bit of control over the computer programmed shifting and can be fun to use too. Does see to give the car a bit more Zip as well.

When you downshift, if you're above the range for a safe downshift, the computer will override you and won't allow it to happen until you're in a 'safe' rpm range. That way you don't "over rev".

I would assume it is the same way upshifting. If you hit the over rev governor, then it will bog until you upshift.

Hope this helps.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalec View Post
Don't blast me if this is a stupid question, but is the "sport" mode available on all models, and what is the benefit?
Did you mean Stabilitrak modes?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
smartalec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Did you mean Stabilitrak modes?
sure?...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
No, he's talking about the Sport mode. Most GM vehicles with TapShift has a Sport mode built in. It basically involves putting the shifter into the manual mode or moving the shifter into the manual shift gates without using the shifters. It allows for more aggressive shifts and is geared towards performance driving. However, the minute you hit a paddle shifter or tap the shifter up or down, it goes into manual mode.

And as far as I know, the V6 model does have it.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It will not let you up shift if you will lug it out. Messed around and had that happen. Funny it will let you start out in 3rd. Real SLOW start.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
sbarny1

Drives: 2011 lt2 v6
v6 dudes

I have had the same question about the "s" mode when you switch to manual mode. I have since learned that in the "s" mode the gears shift at a higher rpm rate than when it is in d mode. The mpg<s go down but it is in a higher performance shifting mode (according to my owners manual) to be used when a "sporty feel" is needed. It keeps the gear shifts at a higher shifting rpm than in "d" mode. In other words--when you come across someone wanting to mess with you, put it in "m" and let the car do the rest.
sbarny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
sbarny1

v6 dudes
I have had the same question about the "s" mode when you switch to manual mode. I have since learned that in the "s" mode the gears shift at a higher rpm rate than when it is in d mode. The mpg<s go down but it is in a higher performance shifting mode (according to my owners manual) to be used when a "sporty feel" is needed. It keeps the gear shifts at a higher shifting rpm than in "d" mode. In other words--when you come across someone wanting to mess with you, put it in "m" and let the car do the rest.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
sbarny1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalec View Post
v6 dudes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarny1 View Post
v6 dudes
First off.... I know you won't be doing any street racing

Second.... I drive 98% of the time in D mode. IMO if you have to get on it your RPM's will still nearly redline then shift even in D mode.

Only time I have used sport mode was one time at a two lane merger at a red light so I could make sure I got in front of the car in the left lane.

But like I said earlier... from my experience when in D mode if I floor it my RPM's still nearly redline.

my $0.02